Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

What's likely to be at the 2004 NAIAS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 04:16 PM

What's likely to be at the 2004 NAIAS?

Detroit's 2004 NAIAS will be January 10-19, 2004. Press days will be January 4-6, and Trade days will be January 7th & 8th.

Los Angeles' will be from January 2-11, 2004 (we finally will be on different days than Detroit...kinda). Media days will be December 29th & 30th 2003, sneek preview night will be December 30th 2003, 6 to 10:30 PM ($100 gen admission, $200 VIP, food & drinks 6-8:30pm), gen admission will be $10, and hours 11am-10pm weekdays, 9-10:30 Friday & Saturday, and will close down 8pm Sunday night.

Yes, I'm way more familiar with LA's show than Detroit's.

So far you can expect at one or both shows:

GM: Chevrolet Colbalt, Chevrolet Corvette, Malibu SS, Cadillac STS, Hummer H3, Buick LaCrosse, Production Pontiac Solstice, 1 or 2 Chevrolet concepts, 1 Pontiac concept, 1 possible Buick concept.

Chrysler: Production Mangnum, Production Dodge Intrepid replacement, small concept sedan, concept coupe (Dodge), and likely one surprise (news or concept).

Ford: Production Mustang, production Freestyle, Ford Five Hundred, at least 1 Lincoln concept sedan and SUV.

It's also likely the New Toyota Supra & Nissan Skyline as well. At LA, you can expect to see every concept that debuted at Detroit last year along with new intros, primarily from Chrysler & Lincoln. Because of the span of time between LA's and Detroit's media days, some cars may be at both as is most new production version vehicles.

So far don't expect:

The next Miata (it's a 2006), a concept Camaro (GM doesn't release direct concepts of it's sports cars, only "themes"), the Ford Futura/ Mercury Montego (also 2006), Cadillac DTS, GM's RWD cars (2006/7 model year), Ford's restyled "Panther" cars (Ford simply releases them).

Everything else so far is just guessing. Make your travel arrangements, aquire your press credentials, befriend convention employees, or begin studying alternate access routes into these convention centers now!

Last edited by guionM; 08-24-2003 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-24-2003, 04:31 PM

Re: What's likely to be at the 2004 NAIAS?

Originally posted by guionM
So far don't expect:

a concept Camaro (GM doesn't release direct concepts of it's sports cars, only "themes")
Like I've been saying, some were getting way to optimistic about a stunning Camaro return at NAIAS '04. I could see maybe 2005. However if 2007 is really the goal (for the 40th anniversary) I'm not sure you'll see a concept wearing the Camaro name until early 2006!
Old 08-25-2003, 07:06 AM

The stuff from GM looks great, I can't wait to see it. Is it possible that a Chevy concept could be called "Panther" or something and really be a Camaro with just a different name?
Old 08-25-2003, 10:37 AM

Where is the CTC or ETC I would think that Caddy would be looking to show thier stuff the world's eyes are sure on them right now and a CTC would just be to cool. Also I would love to see a Chevy "Panther" concept but from what Red Planet said I wouldn't expect it.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:54 AM

I would also expect the HHR, Escalde V-Series, and somekind of SS truck ot SUV...my guess would be Trailblazer.

I also know a Grand Prix GXP should be coming soon.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:57 PM

Re: Re: What's likely to be at the 2004 NAIAS?

Originally posted by Z28Wilson
Like I've been saying, some were getting way to optimistic about a stunning Camaro return at NAIAS '04. I could see maybe 2005. However if 2007 is really the goal (for the 40th anniversary) I'm not sure you'll see a concept wearing the Camaro name until early 2006!
I'm glad there is at least one other person in here that thinks realisticly.

I'm very excited for this autoshow, I want to see what sources were right and wrong about the c6.

I'm not so sure about a Production Pontiac Solstice.

I look for one shocker from Ford.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:28 PM

Didn't Ford say that they were going to mention another performance vehicle besides the Mustang and GT??? I could have sworn that either Jay mays or Colleti said something to that effect and that it would be unveiled at Woodward or some other event but for the life of me I can't remember.. Can anyone shed some light???

PS I also believe there will be one more Cadillac concept there for the Convertible lovers
Old 08-25-2003, 06:17 PM

Escalde V-Series 7.5L V12

what about a GMC sport truck???? New Canyon based Syclone or a true Lightning/SRT-10 competitor Seirra.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:07 PM

Yeah, that's what is missing...........a performance truck for GMC. Chevy will have the Silverado SS(true lightning fighter) and GMC can have a smaller sport truck with a different flavor.............the Cyclone.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:12 PM

Im thinking that there is going to be a chevelle, not with any plans of production, but more of a styling cues. There have been some hints that a new chevelle would appear. Also the idea of a cyclone would also be pretty cool and possible. and definatly the new vette
Old 08-26-2003, 04:25 PM

I did forget that Cadillac's likely to have a concept (they have at least one every year now).

Also, traditionally there would be ZERO chance of a thinly disquised Camaro concept. Theme's from upcomming sports cars at GM normally are hidden in other cars (the Belair & SS are excellent examples). With the Mustang's hot reception last year, it's display this comming year, and Bob Lutz not only enthusiasm about the new Mustang, but his history of showing his hand earlier than most, anything is possible. Not likely, but possible.

I do still strongly suspect word on Camaro as early as the begining of October, or as late as New York's Auto Show next year. Not an "approval", mind you, but probally an admission of development.

Based on the "not approved" Solstice's development so far & the Holden based cars scheduled to replace some of GM's soon to be discontinued large cars, "approval" seems to mean just before the factories actually crank up to make them.

Last edited by guionM; 08-26-2003 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:12 PM

well if naias pases and GM doesn't have any Camaro concept, for me it will be over, I ain't waiting to put my $$ on a new Camaro/Mustang
Ford will have the Mustang it looks just fine, I aint wating forever
Sorry but I am tired of all the excuses we have even a SSR, and still waiting for a new Camaro?
Old 08-27-2003, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by luis nunez
well if naias pases and GM doesn't have any Camaro concept, for me it will be over, I ain't waiting to put my $$ on a new Camaro/Mustang
Ford will have the Mustang it looks just fine, I aint wating forever
Sorry but I am tired of all the excuses we have even a SSR, and still waiting for a new Camaro?
dude don't kid yourself , you WILL wait for a Camaro till the end of all time, and the longer you wait , the Hungrier you'll get, and if in the mean time you bought something else to keep you going, you will sell that in the blink of an eye, to get your hands on the new BAS-*** Camaro.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:55 AM

Add production Pontiac G6 to the list for confirmed 2004 NAIAS.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:06 AM

Yeah, the list just keeps growing. It is making it hard for me to justify not going.

Quick Reply: What's likely to be at the 2004 NAIAS?