Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Small Chevy/ Holden RWD Coupe talk

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 07:34 AM

Small Chevy/ Holden RWD Coupe talk

GM and Holden considering Toyota 86 rival
Holden could add a Toyota 86 fighter to its armoury if General Motors North America boss Mark Reuss succeeds in his ambition to bring a budget-buy rear-wheel drive Chevrolet coupe to market.

While not confirmed for production, the idea was previewed by the 2012’s Code 130R concept car (pictured) and is on the wishlist of the former Holden boss.

The 86 – which is sold as the Scion FR-S in the US - and its almost identical twin, the Subaru BRZ, swept all before them in 2012, with demand exceeding supply and car of the year awards piling up in response to their affordable rear-drive oversteer antics.

“I love it,” said Reuss, an enthusiastic driver. “It’s on the list. It would be a great entry for us.

“I don’t know if they (Toyota) are making any money but it is a very attractive car.”

Reuss said a production 130R would use the engineering basics of the freshly-developed Alpha rear-wheel drive platform employed by luxury brand Cadillac but would be cheaper to build.

“We would do something with the knowledge of Alpha and the background, but we wouldn’t take Alpha and try and shrink it.”

If the 130R does make it into production then there’s no doubt Holden Managing Director Mike Devereux would be bearing Reuss’ door down to make sure it made it to Australia.
Very interesting.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:35 AM

Re: Small Chevy/ Holden RWD Coupe talk

The way I take it/ see it.

Start with Alpha, replace many of the trick, expensive bits (magnesium motor mounts…that kind of stuff) and replace them with less expensive components. This will add some mass to the car.

The C130R would not need to inherently stand up to the torque and HP of the LT1 which Alpha is already capable of doing. Some chassis costs and mass reduction could be gained there (maybe losing the mass gained by using less of the trick, expensive, lightweight parts I first mentioned. ATS also uses thicker glass to help with road noise, this Chevy could get away with standard glass to help reduce mass. A basic cloth interior and Chevy dash would save some weight over what the ATS uses. Reduce the amount of sound deadening material. Again, this is a small, entry level, sub-Camaro coupe.

Some of these cost and weight saving idea could and should be used on the 6th Gen Camaro.

Maybe they could call it Alpha lite?
Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 PM

The Alpha platform also uses high strength steel which although adds some cost, reduces weight by requiring fewer structural members. Switch to a lower cost steel to make the platform cheaper and you'll need to add structure for both strength and safety, which will add weight and mass, which might kill the character of the car.

FYI, they're already calling the version for the 6th Gen Camaro Alpha+. From what I have read, the "plus" being added strength and rigidity to handle a V8. (And perhaps width and length as well.)

A production Code 130 coupe AND sedan might find a niche market for the Chevrolet brand, but I don't see in being much cheaper than the V6 Camaro. We'd probably be talking about the mid $20Ks by the time it makes production.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:59 PM

Alpha+ is the LWB version of the Alpha platform and will underpin the CTS and according to rumors the 6th Gen Camaro. From what I've been told by Charlie on GMI and the C130R FB page is Alpha as it sits under the ATS can take the TQ/HP of the new LT1, with no additional modification.

The C130R does not need that level of structural integrity and I feel that is where some of the mass gained by switching from the expensive alloys can be lost. If someone wants to push their Code into V8 power numbers, I'm sure the aftermarket will help out with some bracing and sub-frame connectors.