Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Volt Needs a coupe and some thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:34 PM

Question Volt Needs a coupe and some thoughts.

I was thinking about a few things..

the whole idea of aerodynamics on the Volt..how much really plays into real daily driving for many of these people?

I see many of the EV cars in the city stop and go traffic not on the highway where aero is important. If the Volt was given its concepts look with just two doors..would it really hurt the MPG.

2 door production volt..

but more along the lines of the concept..really make it stand out..

Like I said I have seen most of my EV sightings in city traffic..so would it be a bad idea to give the car some identity to stand out..maybe with the losss of the two back doors it might gain that MPG back??
Old 03-16-2012, 12:16 AM

Re: Volt Needs a coupe and some thoughts.

The Volt concept had horrible aerodynamics. Aerodynamics is vital for maximizing range. As you point out, it's effective at freeway speeds for increasing mileage in conventionally powered vehicles.

Electric vehicles must gain aerodynamic advantage at lower speeds, and there lies why aerodynamics and low rolling resistance is even more important in electric cars... since they must achieve this at lower speeds (as well as freeway speeds), it takes more effort and is therefore more important.

As for a Volt coupe, so far the only one we'll likely see in the immediate future is the Volt based coupe being done for Cadillac.

Last edited by guionM; 03-16-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by guionM

As for a Volt coupe, so far the only one we'll likely see in the immediate future is the Volt based coupe being done for Cadillac.
The ERL (Converj)
Old 03-19-2012, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
The Volt concept had horrible aerodynamics. Aerodynamics is vital for maximizing range. As you point out, it's effective at freeway speeds for increasing mileage in conventionally powered vehicles.

Electric vehicles must gain aerodynamic advantage at lower speeds, and there lies why aerodynamics and low rolling resistance is even more important in electric cars... since they must achieve this at lower speeds (as well as freeway speeds), it takes more effort and is therefore more important.

But the Caddy just takes that right out of the point I am making..that Caddy might be aero or not but it has style..the Volt, looks generic now. I was just using the volts concept to point out it had syle.

I would love to find out if the loss of the 2 rear doors with all its window mechanics and door workings is gone replaced and just a 2 door coupe with a little more styling would it make up for the loss. Or many people would really know? Im just thinking..and I hate to say it..Toyota is actually brining styling to the Prius. I dont care for it but it does stick out. Or color options or even a matte black paint? Something to make the Volt look relevant. Not just blend in.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

I happen to like the Volt's styling quite a bit. It's not as much of a statement as the concept, but aero issues won out on that particular point. The Volt, IMO, is much better looking than the Leaf or the Prius.

I remember that Cadillac coupe concept from NAIAS a couple years ago. I hope they build it.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:39 AM

The Volt is a great looking car inside and out! Especially in the burgundy color, there is a guy around here that has one, looks good in person, like the rims as well.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:12 PM

At this point in time, a Volt coupe would fail faster than John Carter at the box office. The current 4-door is a $40k vehicle. Lopping off 2-doors wouldn't save much in cost, but playing Devil's advocate, let's assume it MSRPs at $35k. That's the price folks would except to pay for a luxury sporty coupe, not a green eco coupe. If GM does build a 2-door based off of the Volt technology, it needs to be a Cadillac, not a Chevy.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
At this point in time, a Volt coupe would fail faster than John Carter at the box office. The current 4-door is a $40k vehicle. Lopping off 2-doors wouldn't save much in cost, but playing Devil's advocate, let's assume it MSRPs at $35k. That's the price folks would except to pay for a luxury sporty coupe, not a green eco coupe. If GM does build a 2-door based off of the Volt technology, it needs to be a Cadillac, not a Chevy.
So its ok for Toyota to have a whole run of these cars then???

Coupe, sedan, wagon ect ect..

ON TOP OF Lexus models being derived off of this???

The Volt is a great car. Problem is its just one car and no matter what people will see the Volt..and then the Prius and its 4 car linup..

"Lets get a 2 door volt" Cant..Only a high end Caddy is GM's offering. "Ok then lets go to Toyota"..ok..
Old 03-21-2012, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
So its ok for Toyota to have a whole run of these cars then???

Coupe, sedan, wagon ect ect..

ON TOP OF Lexus models being derived off of this???

The Volt is a great car. Problem is its just one car and no matter what people will see the Volt..and then the Prius and its 4 car linup..

"Lets get a 2 door volt" Cant..Only a high end Caddy is GM's offering. "Ok then lets go to Toyota"..ok..
You're missing the point. I hate the Prius and everything it stands for. However you can practically buy two Priuses (Priui?) to one Chevrolet Volt. The Chevrolet Volt is too expensive. A 2 door Volt isn't going to cost much less than the current 4 door. You can buy a Prius for under $19k. (BTW, the 2 door Prius was a concept. Toyota doesn't currently sell a 2 door Prius.)

Make a cheaper "Volt" and then compare the two. Until then, Toyota wins... which is unfortunate.

Last edited by jg95z28; 03-21-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:52 PM

There cross shopped more than you think. When I was at the auto show I was listening to the people talk about the Volt..

How much nice it is to the Prius. How it looks like a better built car..that with the tax credit your getting a "real" car not an electric econobox.

Then hung out at the Prius area at Toyota..they were saying what you said, but saying Prius is going to have a car that fits you. a 2 door a sedan and so on..

The real reason the Volt is not selling well is marketing. Thats all. Toyota did a brilliant job on the Prius and how it was done. Chevy not so much.

I just heard to much of how the Volt is a great car but can be better..well what can it be? Can it be a wagon? can it be a 2 door? YES..why not? Why is it so hard for GM to make a "cool" electric. Not just some tree hugger pos like the Prius is. If you made a wagon and a coupe version that were cool and still aero you would have something to talk about. idk..GM has to do something..Toyota is bringing over a bunch of Prius offspring and the Volt is having a short circut...
Old 03-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
How much nice it is to the Prius.
You maybe want to try editing that?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:22 PM

sorry..swype..nicer.