Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

The VF Commodore

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 06:04 PM

Re: The VF Commodore

Originally Posted by HuJass
And NASCAR (or was it Chevy?) said that the new Sprint Cup car will be a nameplate that has never been raced before in NASCAR.
That's not accurate. The quote came from a GM spokesman who said, the new Sprint Cup car will be a name not currently in the Chevy line-up.

He never said anything about it being a name never raced before in NASCAR.

Chevrolet announced Tuesday that in 2013 it will race a new vehicle in the NASCAR Sprint Cup series, a vehicle which will be a new nameplate for the brand.

The new racecar will "closely resemble the production version," and both cars will be unveiled in the next year, Chevrolet said.

The new vehicle will debut at the Daytona 500 in February 2013, said Monte Doran, a Chevrolet spokesman.

Doran said its new racecar will not be based on a current nameplate including the Malibu and the Impala, its current racecar.

"Our car will be based on a new entry to the Chevy lineup," he said.

Doran said the vehicle will be in production some time in 2013.

"Stay tuned," Doran said. "We have more news coming."

Jim Campbell, vice president of Chevrolet performance vehicles and motorsports said in a statement: "We are keeping the wraps on the new car for now and will continue to prepare for next season by testing camouflaged vehicles.

"We know that Chevrolet fans are eager to see the new racecar and we hope that the prospect of being able to own one just like it will make the wait a little more bearable."

From The Detroit News: Chevrolet will race new vehicle for 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup series | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
Chevrolet will race new vehicle for 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup series | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Last edited by jg95z28; 04-12-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by guionM

If the rims look familiar, they should. They are originally from the G8 GXP.

You sure on that? Although, they do look similar. The Holden one looks like it mixed the GXP with the 10-spoke SS wheels.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:54 AM

Guy is there any news on the ute version?
Old 04-13-2012, 07:30 AM

Which V8 is it going to get? Gen 4 or 5? Rumors are pointing towards a 5.5L Gen 5.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
That's not accurate. The quote came from a GM spokesman who said, the new Sprint Cup car will be a name not currently in the Chevy line-up.

He never said anything about it being a name never raced before in NASCAR
First off, I could've swore I read that the new nameplate would be one that was never raced in NASCAR before. I'll have to do more digging on that.
Secondly, the first sentence in your quoted section says:
"Chevrolet announced Tuesday that in 2013 it will race a new vehicle in the NASCAR Sprint Cup series, a vehicle which will be a new nameplate for the brand."
"New nameplate for the brand".
Wouldn't that eliminate Chevelle, Monte Carlo, and Lumina?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
From '74-79 the Chevys were mainly Monte Carlos. Chevelles were used more in the late '60s, the Monte Carlos pretty much took over by 1971. That's not to say the Chevelles may not of been used in smaller venues, heck even a Camaro or two crept into Grand National road races.
Chevrolet Chevelle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Skip down about 3/4 of the page, to the NASCAR section.

And if you Google "Chevrolet Chevelle in NASCAR", you can see a whole bunch of images of the '73-'76 Chevelles being used on the Grand National (pre-cursor to Winston Cup) circuit.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by HuJass
First off, I could've swore I read that the new nameplate would be one that was never raced in NASCAR before. I'll have to do more digging on that.
Secondly, the first sentence in your quoted section says:
"Chevrolet announced Tuesday that in 2013 it will race a new vehicle in the NASCAR Sprint Cup series, a vehicle which will be a new nameplate for the brand."
"New nameplate for the brand".
Wouldn't that eliminate Chevelle, Monte Carlo, and Lumina?
I noticed that as well, however as you may have also noticed, the author used that wording, not the GM spokesperson. You could be right, although as we now know with the Z28/ZL1 11th hour name change, anything can happen. One thing that's for sure is it will be a Chevrolet version of the VF Commodore.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate
Which V8 is it going to get? Gen 4 or 5? Rumors are pointing towards a 5.5L Gen 5.
a DI smaller displacement would be sweet.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by F1GT

You sure on that? Although, they do look similar. The Holden one looks like it mixed the GXP with the 10-spoke SS wheels.
The wheels on the Holden are not GXP wheels, the GXP wheels are 08-present CTS-v wheels.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
Guy is there any news on the ute version?
It's been certified for the US, was on the auto show circuit, and was about to go down the assembly line when GM decided to kill Pontiac. Short of coordinating with the rest of Chevrolet's product plans, there is nothing preventing the Ute from coming over tomorrow if given the OK.

Last year Ed Welburn seemingly said no to the Ute coming over, and my contact at Holden seemingly says yes. But even more telling is Ed Welburn's response to a question at Geneva I believe to a question on if the Cruze wagon would be sold in the US. He said he liked the car & the questioner liked the car, but that they "simply didn't think it would sell".

Obviously it would sell, and perhaps even be profitable, but there seems to be some other method of deciding what GM sells here in the US that goes outside of simple profitability and the fact that additional investment to sell here is low to nonexistent.

I'm nowhere near as certain the El Camino will return as I was last summer because there's a lot of old GM decision making that seems to be drifting back in where perfectly good cars won't be sold here.

Consider the Impreza-like, Focus-like Cruze hatchback that refuses to sell here. Great looking car. Very practical. Will do exceptionally well with the younger buyers. GM sells it all over the world. It's seen as profitable enough to even manufactured and sold in the comparitively tiny Australian car market. But even though there would be a few times over more sold here, GM decided it simply won't sell it here in the US.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
It's been certified for the US, was on the auto show circuit, and was about to go down the assembly line when GM decided to kill Pontiac. Short of coordinating with the rest of Chevrolet's product plans, there is nothing preventing the Ute from coming over tomorrow if given the OK.......
Darn

Thinking back to the G8 ST, I wasn't interested in it... Something didn't seem right on that car, the G8 looked too good as a 4-door. They should of made the ute version a Chevy El Camino to begin with. (if they intended to bring it here)

This looks better and just seems right. I'd still buy one on the spot if given the chance.

verses this, which seems idk, a little odd ball. It feels like it makes the G8 look worse. Especially since news of the GXP was coming around the same time.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:05 PM

First spy shots are surfacing:
VF Commodore breaks cover
Old 04-17-2012, 05:29 AM

From a grainy pic of a camo'ed car, it almost looks like the VF could be a Pontiac Bonneville.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:48 AM

Im happy to see those bulging front fenders remain on the new car. Its one aspect that made the last/current car look so menecing from a front view.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:10 AM

GM has now officially trademarked "SS". Hmmmm...

Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)
Chevrolet trademarks SS designation... why now?

Quick Reply: The VF Commodore