Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Test drove a 370Z, Genesis coupe, and an STI yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 12:43 PM

Test drove a 370Z, Genesis coupe, and an STI yesterday

I test drove a 2009 Impreza WRX STI, a 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 auto, and a 2009 Nissan 370Z manual and auto.

I'm a **** hairs width away from dropping the hammer on a 2010 Camaro 2SS RS manual, but wanted to give the competition a try.

STI: This car was by far the most fun to drive. It's even more fun to drive than a Camaro! Crisp steering. excellent handling. Incredible brakes. by far the fastest of the three. has the most utility of the three simply because it has 5 doors. It was an 09 model that was discounted to 32,000, and as such was the most tempting to buy. But most of the cost of that car is the drive train, brakes, and engine. The interior just sucks. Boring, no navigation, good visibility though. The seats are great, but they are manual. But I understand what this car "is". It's not meant to have all the power gizmo's that so many people want these days. I understand that, but it would still be nice.

370Z: By far and away the best interior, but is has no interior space. blue tooth, navi, power everything, and the fit and finish was great. Awesome acceleration, but not as good as the STI. Great brakes. This year Nissan went away from using brembo's in the 350Z and went to their own proprietary braking system. Above 3000 RPM's, it has an incredible exhaust note. I mean it just sounds badass. The paddleshift is a lot of fun. I also drove a manual. The manual trans was clunky and didn't give me a good warm and fuzzy. I liked the auto much better. What I thought was strange was the sales people looked at me funny when I told them I was cross shopping a 370Z with a Camaro SS. In their words, the Camaro is a "mid-size" sedan. I understand the difference between a car like the Camaro and the 370Z, but I think the sales people think that car is more than it actually is. But if I were selling them, I'd probably say the same thing.

Genesis 3.8: This car is a great bang for the buck. The interior is nice, with many of the same features as the 370. However, it's a Hyundai, and it will always carry that stigma unfortunately. Acceleration was ok, handling was ok, and all around the car was just "ok". But like I said, if you're budget minded, a great value. I don't believe this car is even in the same league as the STI or the 370. I thought maybe it was, but I know now that it is not.

In order of fun:

1. STI
2. 370Z
3. Genesis

In order of practicality

1. STI
2. Genesis
3. 370Z

My picks:

1. Camaro SS
2. 370Z
3. STI
4. Genesis
Old 11-14-2009, 01:23 PM

How was the road noise in the 370Z? I've read some reviews talking about how much tire drone there is.

I sat in a Camaro and holy blind spot Batman! Of course I REALLY LOVE the exterior styling of it, and I even like the interior styling, but the materials are so . That, and no Nav option on it kills it for me. One reason why I'm more focused on the Corvette price range now.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:19 PM

The 370z much like the 350z is absolutely too loud inside for me to consider. I'd shoot myself if I had to take a road trip in that car. It's not just tire noise, it's exhaust noise and other sources of noise. Doesn't ride smoothly at all either.

I haven't driven the latest STI but the previous STI was a ton of fun to drive and I'd bet anything I'd find it more fun to drive than any of the other cars you mentioned, Camaro included (might I even guess 'especially' the camaro).

The Camaro interior isn't cheap per se but its styling and layout just isn't conducive to me and I still don't care for the retro exterior styling. It is probably the most comfortable car in this group which I like and I always enjoy V8 torque.

I haven't been in a Genesis coupe yet but the Hyundai brand as a whole has impressed me a lot recently. The Genesis sedan is amazing for the price but nothing remotely close to the Genesis coupe in any way.

I'm not sure which of those cars I'd go with, only that the 370z wouldn't even be a consideration.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:19 PM

I have a soft spot for STIs, but they're brutal as a daily driver. I went on a road trip to Detroit in my friend's 06 and by the time we got out of the car my back hurt... maybe I'm just getting old... he ended up trading it in on a 1 series.

They're a fun car to autox though.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:25 PM

I really want an STI... I will probably be kissing the MS3 goodbye in a year or so and stepping up to one. I debate it all the time... Financially it makes no sense, but fun wise, it makes all the sense in the world!
Old 11-14-2009, 04:34 PM

If price is a sticking point, I'd also recommend trying a WRX. The 09+ is also very fun, and considerably less expensive than an STI.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck!
I have a soft spot for STIs, but they're brutal as a daily driver. I went on a road trip to Detroit in my friend's 06 and by the time we got out of the car my back hurt... maybe I'm just getting old... he ended up trading it in on a 1 series.

They're a fun car to autox though.
The brutality factor was largely removed with the 08 redesign.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by El Duce
How was the road noise in the 370Z? I've read some reviews talking about how much tire drone there is.

I sat in a Camaro and holy blind spot Batman! Of course I REALLY LOVE the exterior styling of it, and I even like the interior styling, but the materials are so . That, and no Nav option on it kills it for me. One reason why I'm more focused on the Corvette price range now.
Yea, the road noise was pretty ridiculous. I was happy that I could hear the roar of the engine over the road noise though. I can't imagine road tripping in that car. Not only the road noise, but the lack of interior space! It's worse than a vette.

The no nav option in the Camaro is really a sore spot for me. It would seriously **** up the dash to install an aftermarket nav. I'm not really into modding cars so I couldn't see myself installing one. . I like 'em as close to stock as possible.

For me, it's been a hard choice between the Camaro and a Vette. Deals on used Vettes are awesome right now.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
The 370z much like the 350z is absolutely too loud inside for me to consider. I'd shoot myself if I had to take a road trip in that car. It's not just tire noise, it's exhaust noise and other sources of noise. Doesn't ride smoothly at all either.

I haven't driven the latest STI but the previous STI was a ton of fun to drive and I'd bet anything I'd find it more fun to drive than any of the other cars you mentioned, Camaro included (might I even guess 'especially' the camaro).

The Camaro interior isn't cheap per se but its styling and layout just isn't conducive to me and I still don't care for the retro exterior styling. It is probably the most comfortable car in this group which I like and I always enjoy V8 torque.

I haven't been in a Genesis coupe yet but the Hyundai brand as a whole has impressed me a lot recently. The Genesis sedan is amazing for the price but nothing remotely close to the Genesis coupe in any way.

I'm not sure which of those cars I'd go with, only that the 370z wouldn't even be a consideration.
It's funny that you say that about the 370. Because the road noise in the STI was really bad too. The salesman commented on it multiple times. The only reason I liked the 370 over the STI was the level of refinement and fit and finish compared to the STI. It was just generally nicer and more comfortable in my opinion.

What hyundai has done since the early 90's in the quality of their cars, is definitely impressive. I'm still not impressed with their products though. The genesis sedan might be an exception though.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by monstertodd
The no nav option in the Camaro is really a sore spot for me. It would seriously **** up the dash to install an aftermarket nav. I'm not really into modding cars so I couldn't see myself installing one. . I like 'em as close to stock as possible.
Buy a TomTom or Garmin for $200.

No way I'd hack up that (or any) dash to install nav unit, and I personally would not let lack of nav keep me from buying a car I otherwise like. Nav is stupid expensive as an OEM option anyway. For a few hundred bucks I could have a portable unit and be able to use it in any vehicle I own.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:53 PM

My Rand McNally Nav works great in any car! Better yet, it stores easily behind or under the seat - even in a 370Z! Unfortunately, they are not available as standard or optional equipment in any car, so I had to go down to K-Mart with $7 to get mine.

Bob
Old 11-15-2009, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
Buy a TomTom or Garmin for $200.

No way I'd hack up that (or any) dash to install nav unit, and I personally would not let lack of nav keep me from buying a car I otherwise like. Nav is stupid expensive as an OEM option anyway. For a few hundred bucks I could have a portable unit and be able to use it in any vehicle I own.
I agree 100% with not hacking up the dash, but I didn't say that no nav option would keep me from buying the car. I just said it's a sore spot. There are myriad other reasons to buy the Camaro.

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
My Rand McNally Nav works great in any car! Better yet, it stores easily behind or under the seat - even in a 370Z! Unfortunately, they are not available as standard or optional equipment in any car, so I had to go down to K-Mart with $7 to get mine.

Bob
Ha ha, yes that's funny, but for the amount of money companies are charging for these cars, I want and EXPECT in dash navigation to at least be an option. It's the 21st century, not 1972. Navigation is an extremely handy tool available to anyone who has the means, and by god, if it is an option, then I will take it.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
You're an old geezer. May I suggest a Buick?

I drove a convertible 370Z. Compared to the Mazda 3, the car's quieter. Compared to the A6, it's louder. But it's a sports car and a convertible, so noise is expected.

The reason the Mazda is noisier is because it came with crappy tires that are REALLY whiny. It sounds like a wheel bearing has gone bad, except it's coming from the tires.

WRX's, STi's are also noisy. They have amazing drivetrain, but save money on materials and sound insulation.

The Camaro interior isn't cheap per se...
The interior is the biggest drawback to me. I really dislike it. It doesn't fit the car.

I'd probably get the 370Z as my car choice. Camaro, as a 2-door coupe, is too big for me.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby

Bob
Can your Rand McNally Nav show you accidents, construction, traffic, weather and reroute you around all of that? Can it find a thai restaurant on the fly? Welcome to the 21st century; enjoy your stay.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by monstertodd
For me, it's been a hard choice between the Camaro and a Vette. Deals on used Vettes are awesome right now.
Get the Vette.

Quick Reply: Test drove a 370Z, Genesis coupe, and an STI yesterday