Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Start-stop Engine Technology Coming to 2013 Ford Fusion

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:16 PM

Thumbs up Start-stop Engine Technology Coming to 2013 Ford Fusion

It's the little things that add up I suppose. This seems to be a better option for people who see a lot of stop-and-go traffic.

DailyTech - Start-stop Engine Technology Coming to 2013 Ford Fusion

Fusion to be the first non-hybrid mid-size to offer start-stop

The amount of research and development automakers are put into saving even the smallest amounts of fuel are impressive. The research is also necessary if automakers are to meet much more stringent CAFE standards moving forward. One of the technologies that will help automakers meet those fuel economy standards is start-stop technology.

Originally, start-stop technology was used on hybrid vehicles to allow them to save fuel while stopped at red lights or in traffic. The technology is now spilling over into traditional vehicles to help them save fuel. Ford will offer start-start technology as an option on the 2013 Fusion when equipped with the 1.6-liter EcoBoost engine. The technology will be dirt cheap, meaning that it's likely to be ordered on many of the vehicles that hit streets. Ford has price the start-stop option at $295.

Ford says that the new fusion is the first midsize sedan available with automatic start-stop that isn't a hybrid. Just as the technology works on a hybrid vehicle, when the Fusion driver comes to a complete stop the engine will turn off automatically to cut fuel consumption and reduce emissions. When the driver releases the brake pedal, the engine will automatically restart and be ready to move by time the gas pedal is pressed.

We expect the average Fusion driver with the 1.6-liter EcoBoost engine and Auto Start-Stop will save about $1,100 more than other midsize sedan owners during five years of driving,” said Samantha Hoyt, Ford Fusion Marketing Manager. “That’s cash in their pocket and time saved with fewer trips to the pump.”

Ford says that drivers who operate the vehicle in heavy urban areas and in city traffic will see up to 10% savings on fuel consumption. The average driver will see an increase in fuel efficiency of about 3.5%. As long as the technology is truly seamless and there is no hesitation between the engine stop and engine start, the majority of drivers will never notice the technology in operation.

The new 2013 Ford Fusion will go on sale this fall and will offer two different EcoBoost all engines. The Fusion will also be offered in hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and naturally aspirated four-cylinder versions.

Source: Ford
Old 04-02-2012, 02:52 PM

Re: Start-stop Engine Technology Coming to 2013 Ford Fusion

I dont think its a bad idea, but give it a post or two and somebody will start complaining how it will accelerate engine wear, wear on whatever systems are used to support it and so on.

On a slightly related note, I have a drawbridge in my AO that sees heavy traffic and it amazes me when the weather is really nice how people are content to either leave the windows up and let the engine burble away or roll the windows down, start puffing on a cigarette and let the engine idle away as they wait for the bridge to swing its spans wasting gas. At the right time, there are several hundred cars just sitting there wasting fuel idling and probably a coupla thousand when you figuring in the oppsoing traffic then figure in how ineffcient that traffic flows due to its size and the fact that the stoplights arent designed to compensate for that heavy traffic flow after that bridge opens... and well you get the picture, this start/stop tech would probably save a good amount of fuel averaged over all the people who just sit there like a lump on a log.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:11 PM

From what I've experienced with the Fusion Hybrid stop-start, I'm not a fan of the technology.

Just have to say that red car is hideous. Maybe it's the camera angle, but the new Fusion looks so fat and bloated compared to the outgoing model.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:28 PM

The 2013 Chevy Malibu Eco already has this technology, as does the 2012 Buick Regal with eAssist.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
The 2013 Chevy Malibu Eco already has this technology, as does the 2012 Buick Regal with eAssist.
Those cars are considered hybrids, even if they're just mild-hybrids. Article is saying the fusion is the first non-hybrid mid-sized car to offer this.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
Those cars are considered hybrids, even if they're just mild-hybrids. Article is saying the fusion is the first non-hybrid mid-sized car to offer this.
"Mild-hybrid" is a euphemism created as a buzzword to explain the technology to non-technical types. In the eAssist, the traditional alternator is replaced by a generator and lithium-ion battery pack. It does not actually power the wheels of the vehicle (like in a traditional hybrid), it only runs the vehicle's electrical system while the ICE is "turned off". Propulsion is 100% handled by the ICE. Therefore, although its called otherwise, it is not a hybrid in the traditional sense.

The Ford start-stop technology will need to somehow run the vehicle's electrical system while the ICE is "turned off". While I do not know how they exactly plan to address this, it won't be vastly different from how GM's eAssist handles it. (i.e. there are only so many ways to skin a cat.)
Old 04-02-2012, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
"Mild-hybrid" is a euphemism created as a buzzword to explain the technology to non-technical types. In the eAssist, the traditional alternator is replaced by a generator and lithium-ion battery pack. It does not actually power the wheels of the vehicle (like in a traditional hybrid), it only runs the vehicle's electrical system while the ICE is "turned off". Propulsion is 100% handled by the ICE. Therefore, although its called otherwise, it is not a hybrid in the traditional sense.

The Ford start-stop technology will need to somehow run the vehicle's electrical system while the ICE is "turned off". While I do not know how they exactly plan to address this, it won't be vastly different from how GM's eAssist handles it. (i.e. there are only so many ways to skin a cat.)
Sorry, but you are incorrect. A mild hybrid can assist in propulsion as well. In the case of the Regal and LaCrosse, it does this.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Plague
A mild hybrid can assist in propulsion as well. In the case of the Regal and LaCrosse, it does this.
I wasn't aware of this. So its more like a consumer version of KERS. It would be nice if they added a driver activated button.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
I dont think its a bad idea, but give it a post or two and somebody will start complaining how it will accelerate engine wear, wear on whatever systems are used to support it and so on..
Japan had this at least 10 years ago, so I imagine any advances to prevent wear and tear has been out for some time. Just the same, once the engine is warmed up and already has had pil flowing throughout the engine, I doubt having the engine off for a minute or 2 at a light is going to have any wear and tear on an engine. As for the starter, I've run 5 cars in the past 20 years over 100K miles, and 2 over 200K. Never replaced a starter in any of them, and I'd have to think hard to recall anyone who had to replace a starter out of anything that was newer than the 1970s. Starters are almost bullitproof these days.

One thing on start stop. This is one item that (depending on where you drive) can have a bigger impact on your fuel economy than the EPA test will show. I think the EPA estimates a 2% improvement. However, if you drive at freeway rush hour, or through congested cities, you're going to do more starts and stops than the EPA does on it's test cycles. Some people may be pleasantly surprised.

If you do most of your driving in thick traffic or in the city (and hit more than a few stop lights), it's a good thing to have.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Japan had this at least 10 years ago, so I imagine any advances to prevent wear and tear has been out for some time. Just the same, once the engine is warmed up and already has had pil flowing throughout the engine, I doubt having the engine off for a minute or 2 at a light is going to have any wear and tear on an engine. As for the starter, I've run 5 cars in the past 20 years over 100K miles, and 2 over 200K. Never replaced a starter in any of them, and I'd have to think hard to recall anyone who had to replace a starter out of anything that was newer than the 1970s. Starters are almost bullitproof these days.

One thing on start stop. This is one item that (depending on where you drive) can have a bigger impact on your fuel economy than the EPA test will show. I think the EPA estimates a 2% improvement. However, if you drive at freeway rush hour, or through congested cities, you're going to do more starts and stops than the EPA does on it's test cycles. Some people may be pleasantly surprised.

If you do most of your driving in thick traffic or in the city (and hit more than a few stop lights), it's a good thing to have.
I just had to replace the starter on my 164k 1998 Malibu, FWIW.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
I dont think its a bad idea, but give it a post or two and somebody will start complaining how it will accelerate engine wear, wear on whatever systems are used to support it and so on....
Well... Does it wear more? It makes logical sense to me, but I can't find any evidence for or against it.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:10 AM

Tangent to this discussion, but I really like the look of the 2013 Fusion. I would definitely own one in white.

I'm interested in seeing the pricing when it's released.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:41 PM

I wish my engine had a stop-start setup. I don't think i'd buy a car just for it, but it would have been a selling feature for me (like heated seats were).
Old 05-10-2012, 01:15 AM

Kill it, Kill it with fire! New Dodge ram is getting start/stop too. It should be optional, I will not buy a new car with this feature if I cannot disable it.

BMW More EfficientDynamics. The Start-Stop-Function. - YouTube
Old 05-10-2012, 09:51 AM

I don't like it and I replaced the starter on my 1994 Z28 at 67K miles and my step son has replaced his 94 Formula starter at 172K miles. I guess if you keep the rev's up a little bit it will keep it from shutting off if you want to get the jump because your in the wrong lane etc or just playing stop light Gran Prix.

Quick Reply: Start-stop Engine Technology Coming to 2013 Ford Fusion