Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Sept 2010 Sales

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:01 PM

Sept 2010 Sales

GM up 10.5% 6,323 Camaros delivered

Ford up 46% 5,760 Mustangs delivered

Chrysler up 61% 3,138 Challengers delivered

Toyota up 16.8%

Honda up 26.1%

Nissan up 35.1%

Hyundai up 48% 20,639 Sonatas delivered

Mazda up 30%

Subaru up 47%

Suzuki down 12%

VW up 14.9%

BMW up 21.1%

Last edited by 95redLT1; 10-01-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:05 PM

* Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac retail sales increase 39 percent during month
* Sales and inventory mix reflects quick transition to new model year vehicles
* Company gaining retail market share with retail sales up 15 percent year-to-date
* GM full-size pickup sales rise 62 percent; compact crossovers increase 101 percent

DETROIT – September combined total sales for Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac increased 22 percent to 172,969 units, driven by a combined 39 percent rebound in retail sales compared with last September. Each brand saw retail increases in excess of 21 percent, led by Buick, where retail sales were up 96 percent for the month.

September’s results also reflect an effective and quick model-year transition – a dramatic departure from last year’s changeover. Of GM’s retail sales for the month, 53 percent were new (2011) model year vehicles – almost double last year’s 27 percent. Dealer stock at the end of the month included 75 percent new model vehicles, compared to just 30 percent last year.

“We said our goal for this time of year was to achieve an orderly transition from past model to the new model year, and we’ve achieved that,” said Don Johnson, vice president, U.S. Sales Operations. “This helps us lower our overall selling costs and positions us to come out of the gates quickly during the new model year.”

Year to date through September, GM’s four brands have sold 79,948 more units than were sold with eight brands through September 2009. The company’s brands also have increased retail sales by 15 percent through September, and have gained market share in each of the first nine months this year.

“September’s results are a continuation of positive momentum for our four brands and demonstrate that our plan is working,” Johnson said. “With key products like our heavy-duty pickups, the Buick Regal and the Cadillac CTS Coupe launching now, and expanded capacity for the Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain hitting dealer lots, we’re ready to run.”

Increased sales of crossovers and full-size pickups led GM’s gains in September. Sales of the company’s compact crossovers, Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain, rose 101 percent, while sales of mid-size crossovers, GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Traverse and Buick Enclave increased 36 percent. The Cadillac SRX, remained the fastest growing luxury crossover, with sales up 41 percent during the month. Year-to-date, SRX sales have increased 319 percent. Sales for GM’s full-size pickup trucks, Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra rose 62 percent in September.

Month-end dealer inventory in the U.S. stood at about 478,000 units, which is about 26,000 higher compared to August, and about 55,000 higher than September 2009.

September Key Facts and Brand Results:

* Calendar-year-to-date total sales for GM’s four brands are up 23 percent
* Chevrolet: Chevrolet delivered 121,479 total vehicles in September, a 19 percent increase year-over-year. Year-to-date total Chevrolet sales are up 19 percent. Retail sales for Chevrolet rose 34 percent on the strength of Silverado and Equinox sales (read more).
* Buick: Buick reported total sales of 12,875, an increase of 36 percent compared to last year. Driven by continuing strong customer demand for the LaCrosse and Enclave (retail sales up 182 and 89 percent, respectively) and growing demand for the all-new Regal, Buick retail sales were up 96 percent for the month. With total sales up 58 percent this year, Buick remains the fastest growing major auto brand in the U.S. (read more).
* GMC:GMC reported total sales of 25,995, a 42 percent increase in total sales in the month of September, compared to the same month last year. This includes a 48 percent increase in retail sales. Retail sales for the GMC Sierra increased 59 percent during the month and retail sales for the Terrain were up 405 percent compared to last year. For the year, GMC total sales are up 28 percent (read more).
* Cadillac: Total sales of 12,620 for September were 11 percent higher than last September, with retail sales increasing 21 percent. SRX retail sales were up 96 percent, compared to a year ago, and CTS retail sales increased 18 percent. With total sales up 44 percent for the year, the brand remains the fastest growing luxury auto brand in the industry (read more).
* Fleet sales for GM’s four brands were 43,733 for the month.
http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...t/1001_gmsales
Old 10-01-2010, 07:14 PM

Deliveries:

GM - 173,155
Ford - 160,863
Toyota - 147,162
Chrysler - 100,077
Nissan - 74,205
Hyundai - 46,556
Subaru - 21,432
Mazda - 18,580
VW -19,943
Suzuki - 1,641

Last edited by 95redLT1; 10-01-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:22 PM

Camaro wins another month. What happened to "wait until the new 5.0L and 305HP V6 come out"

Why do Suzuki and Mitsubishi still bother to sell cars in the USA. I'm surprised one of the Chinese companies hasn't bought them out yet just to get a foot in the door here.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:45 PM

Top 20 for Sept & YTD

http://www.examiner.com/autos-in-nat...charts-picture
Old 10-01-2010, 07:50 PM

Wow, that was a fast release. Are these #'s "artificially high" because of the small slump after C4C or would that have been last month?

The good news is that month to month (consecutive months) sales seems to have stabilized no matter how they compare to the same month the year before.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Camaro wins another month. What happened to "wait until the new 5.0L and 305HP V6 come out"
Lasted 2 months! but it wasn't the 2010's getting cleared out...

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal
Less 2010 models than the month before. Our local dealer has 1. The largest Ford dealer in AZ has 6.

When are the Mustangs sales held up to be just what they are, Mustang sales??

When the 2011 Camaros are out, should we complain about including 2010 Camaro numbers, in the sales. After all, the local dealer is desperately trying to sell their 2 SS's, that they have had for close to 6 months now.

I'm sorry, no offense to anyone, it just gets kind of silly after awhile.
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...36&postcount=5

I'd say last month would be adequate....
Old 10-01-2010, 07:59 PM

Ok, then good for Camaro.

See, it is that easy.

BTW, the industry average was up 25%.

I still haven't been able to test drive a 5.0. Our local dealer has only had one in, and it was gone in a couple of days. They do, however, still have quite a few 2010 Mustangs (2 V6's and 1 GT). LOL The only 2011's they have, are 2 V6 Verts.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x

Why do Suzuki and Mitsubishi still bother to sell cars in the USA. I'm surprised one of the Chinese companies hasn't bought them out yet just to get a foot in the door here.
I don't recall anyone ever saying "wait till the new 5.0L and 305HP V6 come out".

I think what was said was that:

1. We needed to wait a year and a half until after all the hoopla wore off and prices started coming down to earth and regular people started buying them.

2. Mustang's redesign being evolutionary rather than something really new (plus the fact that it came out before Camaro's) put it farther along in the age cycle. In short, we've been seeing pretty much the same basic design since 2004 (although the updated version in notably improved IMO).

Over at the Chevy dealer in Serremonte, there is a silver, base model, V6 6 speed Camaro going for the sticker of $23,000. Yes. In a major California market. Not long ago, that same car would have been loaded to the teeth, and/or had a $3,000 markup. Minimum. This is what's sustaining (and increasing) Camaro's sales.

As far as Mustang, in many ways it's the better car. Better interior, better performance, better fuel economy, more fun to drive.

However, the coupe market is driven by style and a model is only good until the latest greatest look comes out.

Camaro's design is still a chart topper and the price has come down to reasonable levels. Plus there are still a gazillion Mustangs on the road. It's not exactly the traffic stopper that even Challengers are.

Speaking of Challengers, seems Fiat's management ended the old Chrysler's "rationing" of the Challenger. Increased sales of 76%. Numbers are actually good.

Last edited by guionM; 10-03-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:40 AM

Our local Chevy dealer has a white with red stripes Camaro SS. That car has been there for 8-10 months (I tried to find the actual window sticker online, but was unsuccessful). There was a silver one, that had been here just as long, but it finally sold a couple of weeks ago.

I need to see what the big tag hanging from the rearview mirror says, to get an idea on how they are discounting the car. I do know the MSRP is $38K and change.

The fact that both cars are selling well, is a good thing. However, I highly doubt you can make up for 7 years of pent up demand, in 15 months in a bad economy. One would think that the extra demand should last for years. I would.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
....However, the coupe market is driven by style and a model is only good until the latest greatest look comes out.

Camaro's design is still a chart topper and the price has come down to reasonable levels. Plus there are still a gazillion Mustangs on the road. It's not exactly the traffic stopper that even Challengers are....
This.

And I certainly don't always agree with you, Guy....as you know.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
I don't recall anyone ever saying "wait till the new 5.0L and 305HP V6 come out".
I heard that once or twice around here and a lot at other sites. It was the Mustangs fans reasons for getting beat in sales so much in 2009 and early 2010. They claimed everyone was holding back and waiting for the new engines. I'm sure a lot of enthusiasts did just that but it looks like the general public didn't care. I can't imagine getting a 2010 V6 Mustang only to have the 2011 come out have almost 100 more HP and get 5 more mpg.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal
Our local Chevy dealer has a white with red stripes Camaro SS. That car has been there for 8-10 months (I tried to find the actual window sticker online, but was unsuccessful). There was a silver one, that had been here just as long, but it finally sold a couple of weeks ago.
No offense, but the anecdotal evidence about this or that Camaro languishing on a showroom floor, that I have seen you use multiple times now, is about as worthless as downplaying Mustang sales numbers, which seems to be what makes you bristle.

I agree with Guy here, Camaro is a bit more unique and stands out more and that is what is propelling its sales. It will be interesting to see if or how much further ahead Camaro pulls next year when the convertible is available.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:40 AM

Camaro is going to get a boost next spring from the Convertible too. I can't wait to hear the excuses for Mustang sales then!

-Geoff
Old 10-04-2010, 09:56 AM

I couldn't care less which one wins in sales, as long as all three are selling in healthy volumes. Competition improves the breed, and healthy sales keep the competition going.

Quick Reply: Sept 2010 Sales