Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

REPORT: 2011 Ford Mustang to get upgraded Track Pack to handle 5.0 "Coyote" power?

Old 08-18-2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
0-60 is what most "Stoplight Grand Prixs" run. A quick 5-7 seconds, then slow down before the next light, an obstacle or risk of an accident, or unwelcome notice from local law enforcement.
Going WOT on a city street in a 12 second car is going to get you attention from the police whether you shut it down at 60, 80 or 100mph. Which is why the "stop light" grand prix is best left to kids in 15 second civics and old guys in 89 thunderbirds.

If anything, being that no one is likely to do a 40-80 blast on a city street, and no one is going to start a freeway run at only 40 mph, it's the 40-80 statistic that's pointless IMHO.
I have no idea what you are talking about. I enjoy squeezing it through second gear and third quite often, which amounts to a 40-80 run. When you're in a fast car, it's a very easy and safe quasi-legal speed range to zip right through, yes even on city streets if no one is around.

As for the freeway run example, i'd counter with this one. How about passing someone on a 2 lane country road? You know, 45mph speed limit with a line of cars going 44mph in front of you. 40-80 time can be what makes the difference between passing 5 cars cleanly in the next passing zone, and getting by some of them and having to jam on the brakes to merge back in before the next turn.

FWIW:
FWIW, the C&D top gear acceleration test is a joke not even worth discussing. No double-OD car ever does well in that test, especially against a single OD car.

3. Even dismissing the fact that they didn't downshift (and in reality, both would downshift), it's obvious that the Mustang GT wouldn't exactly get "smoked" by the Camaro SS in either 30-50, 50-70, or perhaps even your hypothetical 40-80 run.

In fact, it would be a very interesting, very good, and perhaps even surprising race.
In fact, you're not talking to some woman in your office who doesn't know what these cars do in races against each other. There's no need to get all hypothetical in a camaro vs. mustang racing question here. Some of us here have cars that are about as fast (if not faster) than a camaro SS and know what our cars do in races against late model mustangs. Third gear is where HP starts to win big vs. the mustangs shorter gearing in 1/2.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:57 PM

When will we get the official specs on what the 2011 Mustang will be? Sometime this year?
Old 08-18-2009, 06:55 PM

40-80 is pointless? thats usually what I do, or very close to it. highway on ramps when I see no cars coming in the slow lane, nice long open country roads. 0-60 is all traction. I took my '89 beretta GT 5 speed to the drag strip a few years ago. I was able to hammer out a 2.30 60' after about 10 launches. last time I was at the track with my '99 formula I was mostly running high 2.2 60's. they were less than a tenth of a second off! does this mean my beretta is as fast as my formula? according to you it is!

3. Even dismissing the fact that they didn't downshift (and in reality, both would downshift), it's obvious that the Mustang GT wouldn't exactly get "smoked" by the Camaro SS in either 30-50, 50-70, or perhaps even your hypothetical 40-80 run.
my buddy just picked up a 2010 mustang GT. we're dying to see how it will do against my 136k mile '99 formula. both cars are stick, and I believe his has the track pack. Im confident my car will take him down from a dig and a roll. since I KNOW Im not as fast as a new camaro, we'll see

top gear acceleration tests are also retarded but others have already noted that.
0-60 mph IS an important stat. The only time I ever hear it isn't is when the result is unfavorable to a car a person is enthusiastic about. You never heard this back in the 4th gen days.
its an important stat for the mustang guys because that is the only way they can hope to be close to a '10 camaro SS. once the camaro gets traction, its gone.

Last edited by Zigroid; 08-18-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Zigroid
40-80 is pointless? thats usually what I do, or very close to it. highway on ramps when I see no cars coming in the slow lane, nice long open country roads. 0-60 is all traction. I took my '89 beretta GT 5 speed to the drag strip a few years ago. I was able to hammer out a 2.30 60' after about 10 launches. last time I was at the track with my '99 formula I was mostly running high 2.2 60's. they were less than a tenth of a second off! does this mean my beretta is as fast as my formula? according to you it is!
60'=sixty feet=a distance measure. A 60' time is how long it takes you to go the first 60 feet.

0-60 is a measure of the time it takes for a vehicle to accelerate from 0 miles per hour to 60 miles per hour.

They are totally separate and distinct measures.

I have never been drag racing but even I know that.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Zigroid
its an important stat for the mustang guys because that is the only way they can hope to be close to a '10 camaro SS. once the camaro gets traction, its gone.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
60'=sixty feet=a distance measure. A 60' time is how long it takes you to go the first 60 feet.

0-60 is a measure of the time it takes for a vehicle to accelerate from 0 miles per hour to 60 miles per hour.

They are totally separate and distinct measures.

I have never been drag racing but even I know that.
well no ****...
Originally Posted by bossco
you gonna dispute that a gt can out-accelerate an ss? it needs a 500 after the gt...
Old 08-18-2009, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Imaginary direction? All I did was push the "quote" button....
And posted a comment that was in an entirely different direction than the quote.

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Put me into the "0-60" time being useless crowd.

Sorry Guy....though I do agree with most of your thoughts in this post.
It's all opinion.... so we'll disagree on this one.

Originally Posted by Plague
I would think this is much more about gearing instead of weight. Once the car is moving and you have a decent amount of traction, weight means much less than gearing. Kind of odd to use proof of this being a top gear acceleration vs actual acceleration to those speeds.
I agree with all things being equal, gearing would win out.

But to sling something that's heavier than the other, you'd need shorter (higher numerical) gearing on the heavier vehicle. Between the SS and the GT/TP, it's the GT that has the gearing and weight advantage. That leaves the SS to rely on it's engine output to make up the difference. Based on the C&D test, the odds would favor the GT over the SS in both the 30-50 and 50 to 80 blasts.

Of course, when you get farther along in the acceleration run, the SS will no doubt eventually catch and pass the GT. But it's pretty apparent that the GT isn't simply going to exactly be left for dead during most street or freeway "Grand Prixs" as one might believe.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by notgetleft
Going WOT on a city street in a 12 second car is going to get you attention from the police whether you shut it down at 60, 80 or 100mph. Which is why the "stop light" grand prix is best left to kids in 15 second civics and old guys in 89 thunderbirds.
You left out look-at-me-guys driving stare-at-the-dancing-bear red GTOs.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I enjoy squeezing it through second gear and third quite often, which amounts to a 40-80 run. When you're in a fast car, it's a very easy and safe quasi-legal speed range to zip right through, yes even on city streets if no one is around.
80 mph is safe on a city street?

Uh huh.

As for the freeway run example, i'd counter with this one. How about passing someone on a 2 lane country road? You know, 45mph speed limit with a line of cars going 44mph in front of you. 40-80 time can be what makes the difference between passing 5 cars cleanly in the next passing zone, and getting by some of them and having to jam on the brakes to merge back in before the next turn.
2 lane country roads usually have a 55 mph speed limit, but OK, I'm game.

A 55 mph road with a vehicle traveling 40 mph with 5 cars ahead.

Each car about 200" long (or 16.5 ft), about 82 and a half feet.
Each car with half a length between them including yourself (8 ft, or so) about 40 feet.
At 40 mph, you'rte going about 57 feet per second... and so is every one else.

114 ft per second if you include the traffic in the other direction coming at you at 40 mph (they are likely coming at you alot quicker, but for this purpose, 40 mph is quick enough).

So, you need to clear 122 feet worth of vehicles.

Now a car... lets say a 2005 GTO... runs 30-50 in about 9.5 seconds, and 50-80 in 9.2. Lets figure you can accelerate from 40-80 in about 9 seconds if you are a whiz shifter, and there's nice, cold dense air your engine's sucking in.

In 9 seconds at 40 mph, traffic has traveled 1026 feet. Plus 5 cars equals a total of 1,148 feet you have to clear. Add another 5-8 feet if you don't want to end up part of the lead car (or truck's) bumper.

In order to clear everything in 9 seconds, you'd have to run up to at the very least 100 mph as fast as you possibly could in order to avoid getting up close and personal with the lead vehicle of oncoming traffic.

If you were going 60 mph and had to pass someone, you'd fare better. That GTO gets from 60 to 100 in about 7 seconds.

Realistically, if you tried passing 5 vehicles going 44 mph and was cutting it close, you'd have a very good shot at becoming roadkill. But then again, if someone thinks it's safe to drive 80 mph in the city......

FWIW, the C&D top gear acceleration test is a joke not even worth discussing. No double-OD car ever does well in that test, especially against a single OD car.
Well, they did get the numbers, and their testing is consistent, and they do use calibrated equptment.

But I guess all that doesn't count just because you say no double OD car does that well in a test, huh?

Gee.

In fact, you're not talking to some woman in your office who doesn't know what these cars do in races against each other.
I explained to my friend how 2 close cars with a little more power going to the weaker one can catch the faster one.

Any one have any crayons I can borrow?

There's no need to get all hypothetical in a camaro vs. mustang racing question here. Some of us here have cars that are about as fast (if not faster) than a camaro SS and know what our cars do in races against late model mustangs. Third gear is where HP starts to win big vs. the mustangs shorter gearing in 1/2.
No hypothetical matchup needed.

The new Mustang GT/TP hold up well against SS on most all street matchups both from a standing start and a rolling start from typical traffic speeds. The SS can't run away from the GT/TP on a race course that doesn't have alot of straightaways. But the Camaro SS will anniliate off a Mustang GT/TP if it has a quarter mile from a standing start.

That pretty accurately sums it up.

Last edited by guionM; 08-18-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:26 AM

And posted a comment that was in an entirely different direction than the quote.
You posted something, I commented on it. That's what we do here.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:43 AM

As far as I'm aware, passing multiple cars at the same time on a 2-lane road is highly illegal anyway. At the very least, it is quite dangerous considering the speeds and distances involved.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:44 AM

You left out look-at-me-guys driving stare-at-the-dancing-bear red GTOs.
I'm glad you led with a stupid comment like that because....

Now a car... lets say a 2005 GTO... runs 30-50 in about 9.5 seconds, and 50-80 in 9.2. Lets figure you can accelerate from 40-80 in about 9 seconds if you are a whiz shifter, and there's nice, cold dense air your engine's sucking in....(more inanity and completly made up acceelration figures
...you have been exposed as having no idea what you are talking about here. Over 9 seconds to accelerate from 30-50mph? Maybe in one of your jet engine (ROFLMAO) thunderbirds. Nah, even they aren't that slow, unless you have a car load of fat chicks maybe.

I didnt even read the rest after that, there's no point, you live in an imaginary world and will make something up to come back at me with like you did here.

Last edited by notgetleft; 08-19-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:06 AM
West South Central Moderator

Wink

I'm glad you led with a stupid comment like that because....

...you have been exposed as having no idea what you are talking about here. Over 9 seconds to accelerate from 30-50mph? Maybe in one of your jet engine (ROFLMAO) thunderbirds. Nah, even they aren't that slow, unless you have a car load of fat chicks maybe.

I didnt even read the rest after that, there's no point, you live in an imaginary world and will make something up to come back at me with like you did here.
His numbers are assuming the driver didn't downshift from 6th gear to like 3rd. We all know that the people who buy stick shift cars never remember to downshift when they are preparing to pass several cars on a 2 lane road...
Old 08-19-2009, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
His numbers are assuming the driver didn't downshift from 6th gear to like 3rd. We all know that the people who buy stick shift cars never remember to downshift when they are preparing to pass several cars on a 2 lane road...
Agreed, it's assinine in his calculations to use this figure but had to in order to make it work for his argument which is flawed. Nobody passes 5 cars from 55mph in 6th gear unless they want to die. Why all the car magazines use these idiotic figures is beyond me, drop down to the most appropriate gear for maximum acceleration and give me that number. Have a new Camaro and a new Mustang everyone is bragging about with the track pack go from these speeds and downshift to the appropriate gear and see if the Camaro doesn't walk it! This is a falied attempt to make the Mustang look better than it is and to make the Camaro look worse than it is, it is heavy and if you try to accelerate from 6th gear to any speed it's gonna take some time, it did in my 02 Z28 and it will in the new car. The Gt500 isn't that great from a 6th gear roll either, what's the point?
Old 08-19-2009, 11:33 AM

I agree with all things being equal, gearing would win out.

But to sling something that's heavier than the other, you'd need shorter (higher numerical) gearing on the heavier vehicle. Between the SS and the GT/TP, it's the GT that has the gearing and weight advantage. That leaves the SS to rely on it's engine output to make up the difference. Based on the C&D test, the odds would favor the GT over the SS in both the 30-50 and 50 to 80 blasts.

Of course, when you get farther along in the acceleration run, the SS will no doubt eventually catch and pass the GT. But it's pretty apparent that the GT isn't simply going to exactly be left for dead during most street or freeway "Grand Prixs" as one might believe.
But the gearing you are talking about is over drive. Why not have a contest of 30-50 in Reverse then as well? It is about as applicable when you are talking about acceleration in over drive. The top gears are to save gas, not to accelerate. So yes, it does have a gearing advantage in 6th vs 5th of the mustang, but what about the rest of the gears? Those two are the least important... well, I guess Reverse might be less important.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Plague
Why not have a contest of 30-50 in Reverse then as well?
Heck, why not see who can get out and push which car from 0-10 mph faster?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: REPORT: 2011 Ford Mustang to get upgraded Track Pack to handle 5.0 "Coyote" power?