Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Count me as a casualty of the auto industry

Old 06-10-2009, 06:56 PM

Count me as a casualty of the auto industry

See my thread in the lounge:

http://www.cz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692715

I only posted it here as well because a lot of you guys don't go into the lounge, and we've been discussing all things automotive for 8-10 years now. You guys are my on-line friends.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:00 PM

You too? My daily job was eliminated on May 15th because of the slowing economy. My company specifically cited the county I worked in being affected by the auto industry and slower sales in general.

You could always come blog with me to kill time!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:17 PM

Quite a few years ago I was "right sized" out of what I though would be the job, or at least the company I'd be with until I was too old and sick to work. I got a decent severance package and moved to a new state to start over.

I'd be lying if I said everything was great; actually it was pretty dam tough making do with "temp" jobs and building connections and living on half the income I'd had before. It took me almost five years to really get back on my feet but I can now say that "loosing' that job was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I now have a career I truly love and a job I look forward to on Monday mornings and even adjusting for inflation I make more than twice the money I used to make.

I know these are tough times and I just want to say that I'm sorry you have to experience this but I also want to encourage you to look at this as an opportunity. Things really do have a way or working out; especially if we don't give up. As they say, phrasing here, everybody fails but the real difference between a failure and a successful man is that the successful man tired one more time.

Take care.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:41 PM

Sorry to hear. Keep your head up, though, and you'll get through it.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:40 PM

Sorry to hear. Love your car though... at least that car will keep your spirits up until you find another job.

All the best in your job hunting!
Old 06-10-2009, 10:32 PM

Sucks. Sweet *** car though!

My father in law lost his job at Tyco in December (I think they made electronic parts for mostly Chrysler). I lost mine in November as a Civil Engineer (specialized in site design.) No new shopping centers or large commercial projects = no job for me. I'm not going to bull**** anyone, right now, there is no light at the end of the tunnel, and if you can see one, get your *** of the tracks, the ****in' train's a commin'

Sorry if I seem cynical, my wife thinks I'm "losing it" whereas I see myself as "just being realistic." I haven't slept in almost 7 months. If I don't take sleeping pills I'm up until 4 or 5 AM and just sleep the day away. Sleeping pills at least knock me out by midnightish and I get up around 8 or 9ish. I ran out last night and was up until 5 am, just laying there...

Last edited by Silverado C-10; 06-10-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:12 AM

I'm really sorry to hear about the career with Chrysler ending. Was there any chance of rehire in another part of Chrysler?

Oh... and by the way.........your car gave me a woody.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:56 AM

Sorry to hear my friend.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:10 AM

Sorry to hear your news. Your Challenger looks great though!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:36 AM

Sorry to hear. I hope everything turns out for the better.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
I'm really sorry to hear about the career with Chrysler ending. Was there any chance of rehire in another part of Chrysler?

Oh... and by the way.........your car gave me a woody.

Well, I'm not sure they would have been willing to move people around to other parts of the company. They're getting rid of people throughout the organization.

One condition of the buyout is that you can never come back to Chrysler for employment. I guess one could apply, but no consideration will be given to the application.

But the thing is, those of us that took the last package were released by the OLD Chrysler.
I suppose if I had a good enough lawyer and deep enough pockets, I could argue that fact as a reason why they cannot bar me from getting rehired with the NEW Chrysler.

But Chrysler still has a tough row to hoe. They really don't have any new product coming soon other than the new Grand Cherokee. The Fiat 500 is probably 18 months off and the rumored joint vehicle (I guess based off of the Alfa 149?) is probably at least 2 years off.
So they're STILL way to heavy in the trucks & SUV market and gas is going back up again. They're quality hasn't magically gone up due to BK. And I'm sure there is going to be some anti-buyout, anti-BK results, anti-American auto industry sentiments out there that will hurt sales.

They still have a long way to go.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:34 AM

HuJass,
What can be said? You have done nothing wrong. We all make the decisions in front of us with all the data available to you at the time... the rest is luck. Sorry to hear about the separation, but look at it as an opportunity to make things even better. You mentioned wanting to return to Syracuse... sounds like you want to, so make it happen!

I have 6 or 7 emails in my inbox right now from people I worked with over the last several years who have been let-go. They are heart-wrenching as they bid farewell, discuss how much they enjoyed their jobs and working with me, etc. It's a sign of the time we are in. But.........

I have to write this here because of the overwhelming negative side we have seen on this board lately. I too feel like this is my internet family - some I agrue with and some I coddle - just like brithers and sisters, but the truth is I care greatly for all of you, and wish you all the best. After all, we're all car nuts!

I am currently the Facility Project Manager at a tier-1, and I am working my **** away in this place - 50-60/week is not unusual. 7-7:30 am to 5:30-6:30 pm any day. Just built a 35k sq-ft expansion here and relocated all the equipment from an 80k sq-ft plant we closed up north. It's a "consolidation" that will save us million$ each year according to bean counters. We are hiring QEs, QTs, Process Engineers, Tooling Engineers, Maintenace guys, operators, you name it. We offered relo's to everyone in the plant we closed - some 240+ people, and only 23 took the package. There was up to $5000 on the table for a signing bonus, a wage increase (to move south no less?!?!), and a relo package for moving expenses. People didn't want to leave their roots I guess, and I can appreciate that.

Additionally, we are pretty strong right now financially. We are weathering the storm well, as we "right-sized" through that consolidation earlier, and we are lean and mean right now. We are being bombarded by the OEMs to pick-up business from small shops that have folded recently. We are quoting more business than we did when the economy was rolling. We even have some OEMs coming to us to ask if we can run a part - period - regardless of the price. Their other shop has closed and their line will go down if they don't re-source their parts asap. For example, 3 weeks ago I completed a layout putting 2 welders for BMW parts into one of our cells. We got the BMW-owned machines from a shop in BK-7, set them up, and were running parts for BMW inside 1 week, and we are shipping to them today. Now, BMW is looking at us for more business since we serviced them so well in their moent of need.

This past Monday, one of our Project Managers (handling some GM accounts too BTW) turned in his notice - he's going back to Tennessee. I was just asked yesterday morning to take over his accounts and be a project launch manager for a while, since we don't have enough people to do all the quoting and new business launches. Being the team player - I'm going to try to do both jobs.

NOW - here's the real kicker. We have already taken the mandatory pay cut, lost our 401k match, and all that good stuff a few months back. We got letters that we will be having 3 weeks of unpaid leave during May, June, and July due to the Chrysler shutdown and GM's filing, and maybe more after that. I made a passing comment to on of my suppliers that I won't be in the office for a while, and I was immediately offered contract work for their company. I have 3 companies outside of my 40-hr job that are after me to work for them. I have done side work now for several weeks - doing engineering process work for water plants, waste treatment plants, and shipyards. There is a new plant opening here at my home called Nonni's Bakery - an international food maker based in Greece, and they are looking for 200+ folks to staff their new plant. A good friend of mine (who owns his own consulting/automation business) just signed on for an 18-month contract to do their engineering and process layout for their ovens and baking lines... he has offered to give me any overflow or extra work that he can't handle there.
I have several folks asking me to come to work for them directly, and I'm even being asked to start my own business so they can load me down with project work. At this very moment, I am scheduling a session with a corporate attorney next Monday to set-up my own engineering firm as an LLC or type-S corporation so I can go after some more jobs legally and without risking my home and financial savings. YES - in this economy, I am about to start a new company and I already have more work than I can handle alone for the forseeable future.
(Now you guys know why I have not been posting here much lately... I'm going like a barn on fire! )

In short, I can't stop spinning from the work coming my way from all sides. I realize the economy is not doing great, but there are spots in it that are wide-open right now. It is my opinion that - if you are the aggressive, go-get-it type person, you can make it happen for yourself. A positive, can-do attitude is essential, and having "the goods" is a must. Aside from that, you are in control of your future... not them. They can only control you if you let them.

If I were the kind of person that simply comes to a job, does what I'm told, and goes back home, expecting to do that for 35 years and retire, I'd be working 40hrs/week, losing 3 weeks pay this summer, and expecting to be a statistic any day now. As it is, I'm simply dizzy from all the work coming at me and the opportunities to choose from. My advise - don't be the complacent "company guy" that expects any company to return your loyalty... not these days. Be dynamic, be positive, and be politely aggressive. Go after the things you want/need.

HuJass, The one thing I like the best from your other thread is that you are implementing a parallel plan... a back-up if you will. THAT'S the key. Plan for every possible contingency, and you'll never be "surprised". Be pro-active - don't wait until a crisis is on top of you to make those back-up plans. Create them and have them ready while your current job still seems endlessly available. Make those plans for your career, your income, your retirement, your professionsal and personal lifestyles, etc.

Regardless of what happens, I wish you all the best, and I have every expectation that you will hit the ground running soon!

And BTW - NICE D@MN CAR!
Old 06-11-2009, 12:06 PM

For some reason your link to the Lounge isn't working for me, but I do want to wish you the very best...as you know, I was almost a casualty as well. Glad to see you found your car

After being up close to my first new Camaro yesterday (some dealer was auctioning one already!!!), a black 1LT, and delivering my customer's ordered blue R/T? Honestly, I'll take the Challenger in a hearbeat.

I know its big, but that Camaro interior is just as bad in person as in photos...I'm sorry...I gave it a shot
Old 06-11-2009, 12:55 PM

Sorry to hear Huj, I hope things get better for all of us soon.

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
Sucks. Sweet *** car though!

My father in law lost his job at Tyco in December (I think they made electronic parts for mostly Chrysler). I lost mine in November as a Civil Engineer (specialized in site design.) No new shopping centers or large commercial projects = no job for me.
If you're willing to relocate, I might be able to find you something out here. (Us CEs need to stick together. )
Old 06-11-2009, 01:00 PM

Sorry to hear this.

I wish you the best of luck in your next endeavour.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Count me as a casualty of the auto industry