Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Pics of the test car I saw in South Padre Island, Tx:

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 08:29 PM

Post Pics of the test car I saw in South Padre Island, Tx:

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

The only decent shot I got from the front is blurry, but maybe someone can identify some part of it. When I first glanced at the front of the car, I thought I saw what looks like the Olds symbol on the front cover. You can kinda make it out in pic 4, but I have no idea why the hell it would be on the car. My pictures look alot different from the other Malibu spy pics that I've seen on the net, which leads me to believe this isn't the new Malibu. The C-pillar is covered up pretty good, making it harder to identify. I thought about a Cavalier, but its much too big IMO for that car or even a Malibu. Maybe it isn't even a GM car, but the front looks far to much like a Chevy.

Any ideas? Tell me what ya think!

------------------
-Joshua
1997 Bright Red Trans Am WS6 M6
I was thinking dagger. -Steve Nash
Old 08-28-2002, 08:47 PM

I think it is definatly a Chevy, it has the new trademark bar across the grill. I wonder what car it is?
Old 08-28-2002, 09:02 PM

Maybe a Saturn? Those headlights look light the L-Series headlights to me... but why would that be all covered up?

Hmmm...

The Cavalier replacement is supposed to be a go for MY2005... I can't see what else it could really be.

Old 08-28-2002, 09:10 PM

You're right, it doesn't look like the Malibu pics we've been seeing. But it IS FWD, and it IS GM.

The front does look like Chevrolet though.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:23 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You're right, it doesn't look like the Malibu pics we've been seeing. But it IS FWD, and it IS GM. </font>
I was pretty sure it was FWD too, but what do you see that gives it away? On CTS's it's hard to see the rear differential.

Also, look at the side mirrors and greenhouse of the VY Holdens that are in the other thread. They look similar to the one(s) on this car.

------------------
-Joshua
1997 Bright Red Trans Am WS6 M6
I was thinking dagger. -Steve Nash

[This message has been edited by Sixer-Bird (edited August 29, 2002).]
Old 08-29-2002, 01:22 AM

Chevy Caprice?
Old 08-29-2002, 01:42 AM

Yo guys, think we are onto something here.

When someone said it looks like mirrors of a holden, i thought, then i saw the new leaked spy pics of hte new holdens...

http://www.ls1.com.au/showthread.php...&threadid=3658

Well, the roofline, the grille, and the honda civic back sure look awfly the same.
Old 08-29-2002, 01:53 AM

Wow. Those do look like the same mirrors. I'm definetely thinking Caprice right now.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:18 AM
cmc

I'm either seeing a Malibu or a Cavalier here. There's nothing in common between this car and the Holden -- the "Chevrolet" mirrors in the spy pics are much more triangular than the chiseled big square look on the Holden.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:29 AM

Hard to judge the size of the car, but it looked like the size of the Malibu. Front looked completely Chevy. The Oldsmobile type of emblem was probably used to throw off anybody who would look closely at this car, but only the type of people who don't keep up with automotive industry.
I am thinking Malibu or Cavalier replacement?

------------------
David

1997 Z28 M6, Monsoon CD, T-Tops, Leather
Flowmaster, TPIS AirFoil, 1LE Intake Elbow, CAI, K&N Conal Filter, Chromed Z28 style tips, Silver Camaro lettering rear, Replaced factory fog lights with Pilot Driving Lights with Hyper-White Bulbs

Join my Yahoo Group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HighPerformanceChevrolets/
Old 08-29-2002, 11:18 AM

The mirrors are very different. I was told by a very good source that the new Mailbu looks almost exactly the same from the saide as it does now. That makes me think that this is definatly a Malibu.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:36 AM

Question

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sixer-Bird:
I was pretty sure it was FWD too, but what do you see that gives it away? On CTS's it's hard to see the rear differential.

Also, look at the side mirrors and greenhouse of the VY Holdens that are in the other thread. They look similar to the one(s) on this car.

</font>
I checked it out again more closely, and I realized that there's a hitch that hides the underside, so I may be wrong about it being FWD, because I can't tell.

It's interesting that someone brought up the similarities with the Commodore. The roofline, window seams, door shape, trunk opening, & even the fuel tank door all seem to match up (comparing the rear view Commodore SS picture & the http://ws6bird.cz28.com/images/jar847-r1-11.jpg and the http://ws6bird.cz28.com/images/jar847-r1-10.jpg pictures). Even the exhaust exits from the same side.

I still don't think it's a Malibu, it seems too big to be a Cavalier, and that really looks like a Chevy front end.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:40 AM

Yep yep,

Put my $10 on a Chevy Caprice.

Make it a classic with a ls1 and I will be happy.

------------------
93 Patriot Red Z28 - A4, 3.23 Gears
*Mods*: Hooker Super Competition Catback, Holley 58MM Throttle Body, Holley Powershot Filter, 160* Thermostat, A. Anderson Programming Chip, Aeromaks Cold Air Intake System

Audio: JVC KDSH77 HU, Infiniti Kappa 6.5"
Max's Patriot Red 93 Z

Time: 14.042@96.71, 2.077 60', Humid (Uncorrected),
13.69@100.202 Corrected, 2.191 60'
Old 08-29-2002, 12:11 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Aeromaks:
Yep yep,

Put my $10 on a Chevy Caprice.

Make it a classic with a ls1 and I will be happy.

</font>
I don't see them going to the trouble to put a front end on a RWD V8 powered Caprice or Impala and not put dual exhuast on there
Old 08-29-2002, 12:17 PM

Not sure. That front isn't what I'd expect on a Caprice.

BTW, wasn't it you sixer-bird who saw Holden UTEs down that way some time ago?

Quick Reply: Pics of the test car I saw in South Padre Island, Tx: