Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

OnStar smart-phone app coming soon.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:24 AM

OnStar smart-phone app coming soon.

I'll load it on my iPhone for sure, more bang for the buck from OnStar, IMO.

*cue the big brother/conspiracy guys*

http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/22/auto..._app/index.htm

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- General Motors will distribute OnStar smartphone applications later this year that will allow Chevrolet, GMC, Buick and Cadillac owners to do things like lock their car doors or start the engine from miles away.

The OnStar mobile application will also let users get information about their vehicles, such its fuel level, available driving range, oil level, tire pressure and other diagnostic information. It will be available on Apple's (AAPL, Fortune 500) iPhone as well as on some Android handsets.

"This technology empowers drivers to make decisions about their travels well before they enter the vehicle, meaning their full attention can stay where it needs to be - on the road ahead," said Chris Preuss, president of GM's OnStar subsidiary, said in an announcement.

GM gave the example of someone at the airport who is plagued by doubts about whether he remembered to lock the car. Or someone attending a baseball game on a hot day who wants to start her car so that it will be cooled by the time she's ready to leave.

Currently, even in vehicles equipped with remote start, the owner must be at least within sight of the vehicle to start the car. (Vehicles equipped with OnStar can also be unlocked remotely, but the owner has to call an OnStar operator and request it.)

Other OnStar phone features, some specifically tailored to each car brand, will be announced in the next few months as marketing for the technology begins, GM said.

The phone application will also include a button that will automatically dial an OnStar operator for anything that can't be done by the mobile app, such as requesting emergency assistance.

As it currently exists, OnStar is available on nearly all Chevrolet, GMC, Buick and Cadillac cars. The service allows drivers to connect with a live OnStar operator by simply pressing a blue button inside the car. It also automatically summons help in the event of a crash, and sends regular emails with vehicle diagnostic information.

OnStar currently offers its services free for one year on most GM models, and then at subscription price of about $20 to $30 a month, depending on the level of service.

The mobile application will be included in the OnStar subscription price, which is not expected to change, an OnStar spokesman said.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:32 AM

as soon as I get my Evo i will download it if they have it avaliable.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:35 AM

Only problem I see with this is if someone steals your phone, they also have access to your car, unless you need to enter a password to get into the app.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Only problem I see with this is if someone steals your phone, they also have access to your car, unless you need to enter a password to get into the app.

Ya, it'll be interesting to see what security measures are put into place.

I have a passcode on my iPhone, but if you stole it and were bored enough to try, there are only 10,000 possible numberical combinations.. (0000-9999) and a bored cell phone thief could probably crack it in a day. lol.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
I have a passcode on my iPhone, but if you stole it and were bored enough to try, there are only 10,000 possible numberical combinations.. (0000-9999) and a bored cell phone thief could probably crack it in a day. lol.
A lot quicker than that. I'm sure there are hackers out there that can crack a 4 digit passcode in mere seconds.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:41 AM

Thats why I like Androids pattern password system.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:11 PM

Pretty cool feature.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:24 PM

The features require a PIN code be entered before the requested action takes place.
I.E. If I am in my home and request for my car to start, or doors unlock, I press the requested action and must enter in a previously set-up PIN code. Same thing for door lock, etc.

Chances are thiefs aren't that smart to crack my pin in the seconds it would take for them to.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:34 PM

I wonder if this App works with the Ipod Touch via Wifi?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:33 PM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by Josh452
Chances are thiefs aren't that smart to crack my pin in the seconds it would take for them to.
are you 100% sure that nobody could ever see you entering your PIN code? Me neither, but I would love to have this option from my phone! Too bad my truck didn't come with OnStar

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
I wonder if this App works with the Ipod Touch via Wifi?
Probably!