Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

No super bowl ads for GM

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:44 AM

No super bowl ads for GM

At $3 million for a 30 second spot, GM must figure they don't produce anything that is worth advertising at that cost.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:58 AM

That's a shame. The Super Bowl is early February which would be almost perfect timing for a big spot introducing the Camaro.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:00 PM

I wonder if that price will go down in the coming months as things get worse. Price of Superbowl ads is out of control, but I guess as long as companies want to pay for the then
Old 09-22-2008, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by GTOJack
At $3 million for a 30 second spot, GM must figure they don't produce anything that is worth advertising at that cost.
I disagree that GM doesn't produce anything worth that advertising cost, but they are just spending their money more wisely... well it sounds like they are trying to spend more wisely.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:27 PM

Or maybe they think that when they do make a good ad for the superbowl (suicidal assembly line robot / corvette doing burnout) that idiots will start an uproar and demand an apology for how inappropriate it was Lose/ Lose situation.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:29 PM

In a Detroit news article by Robert Snell, it is reported that NBC has sold more than 85% of its available slots during the game. Domestic automakers cut ad spending 16% in the first quarter, according to TNS Media Intelligence. During that time fram, GM spent $532 million, up 12.6%, while Ford cut its ad spending by 31%.
Since 1988, GM has been the third largest Super Bowl advertiser, spending $77.1 million to Pepsico's $192.8 million and Anheuser-Busch $274.2 million.
GM also scrapped ads during Sunday's Primetime Emmy Awards and the 2009 Academy Awards.
GM is in the midst of a broad restructuring plan that involves cutting expenses by $10 billion and raising another $5 billion through asset sales and borrowing. Another factor in GM's decision was the automaker did not have a major vehicle launch coinciding with the game, spokeswoman Kelly Cusinato said.

GM does not consider the Camaro a major vehicle launch?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:38 PM

Football.

Beer.

Men.

New Camaro.

Even if it's not available until later in 2009, the Superbowl is about the only chance where all they guys will be sitting around the table listening.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Banned

If they haven't heard about it by now, I'd have a hard time considering them real men anyway.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:50 PM

WTF are you guys smoking? The new Camaro is less than 150 days away and will be in showrooms in Feb. 2009.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GTOJack
WTF are you guys smoking? The new Camaro is less than 150 days away and will be in showrooms in Feb. 2009.
Oh crap, you're right. I don't know what I was thinking. Lemme go edit my post.

Ok, now that I've got my head on straight, I don't know why they wouldn't consider the Camaro's release to be substantial. It *will* be a pretty cool birthday present to be able to go see the new Camaro on the lots in my birthday month. I wish I could afford to buy one at the same time!
Old 09-22-2008, 02:19 PM

Great, now Toyota will buy up all the extra spots and I get to hear all about the truck "truckers" want every 8 minutes
Old 09-22-2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by shock6906
If they haven't heard about it by now, I'd have a hard time considering them real men anyway.
You've got to remember--part of the Camaro demographic are those that owned them in high school in the late 60's. A lot of the older guys I talk to know that there's a New Camaro on the way, but since so much information about the car is on the internet (which they don't fully utilize), they don't know when/where/how it's coming back.

There are also those that may have given up hope...We've been hearing "new Camaro" since 2005/2006 that may think it's a year or two away still.

Just a thought
Old 09-22-2008, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dest98
That's a shame. The Super Bowl is early February which would be almost perfect timing for a big spot introducing the Camaro.
Gotta disagree. Strongly.

1. The northeast will be in the mist of winter. The last thing on anyone's collective automotive mind at that time is a new rear drive sports car.

2. The Super Bowl is great for getting exposure and appealing to it's core audence. Beer, mens products, perhaps even a few all new vehicles that are not well known. You'd have to have lived under a rock to not know that Camaro's returning. No one outside of Chrysler followers knew the Caliber was coming. Meanwhile, Camaro's approval was on CNN and most local news stations.

3. Advertizing rates on the Super Bowl is astronomical. You want to get the most bang for the buck if you advertize there. You probably don't want to advertize something on the Super Bowl unless you can sell it the next day or shortly thereafter. Ford advertized their new Mustang convertible that was to go on sale in April on the superbowl, but it's unlikely it sold a single one because of it's advertizement on the Super Bowl. Ford still had plenty of money in the bank, owned upper crust car labels, and still had a splendid line of credit, so it had money to essentially blow that way.

GM doesn't.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:30 PM

What I find significant is the fact that GM spokeswoman Kelly Cusinato said the automaker did not have a major vehicle launch coinciding with the game. The 2010 Camaro is set to start production in Feb. 2009.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:25 PM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by guionM
1. The northeast will be in the mist of winter. The last thing on anyone's collective automotive mind at that time is a new rear drive sports car.
1. What about the rest of the country? Didn't the previous Camaros sell pretty well in Texas, California, Florida, and other sunny states? On 2/1/08 it was 86* in Dallas, 77.8* in San Francisco, and 76.6* in Tampa.

Quick Reply: No super bowl ads for GM