Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

No rebadged Suby WRX anytime soon!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 05:47 PM

Post No rebadged Suby WRX anytime soon!

It looks like the Suby/Chevy combo car looks like it has hit a brick wall.

Check out http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carn ews&loc_code=index&content_code=02718973

Quote from that site:

"In March 2001, GM and Fuji were trying to nail down plans for a jointly developed sport wagon for 2004 or 2005. At that time, Hideo Wada, Fuji's senior vice president in charge of overseas sales, said Subaru aimed to sell 24,000 to 36,000 of the vehicles annually under its own brand in the United States. Wada suggested that GM might sell the sport wagon as a Saab or a Pontiac."

That sounds alot like a rebaged WRX wagon to be sold as a Pontiac. Maybe the REV concept car was a hint of this thing.

[This message has been edited by johnsocal (edited August 27, 2002).]
Old 08-27-2002, 09:55 PM
Banned

I never saw the virtue of selling a Subaru WRX as a Pontiac, a Chevrolet, or anything else other than a Subaru!

This is a lesson that should have been learned from the badge-engineering of the Chevrolet Prism. Despite being cheaper, and more sales franchises, the Chevrolet version of the Toyota Corolla failed to outsell the Japanese badged car.

I would suggest that the misguided Pontic Vibe should be axed as well. The similarly ugly Toyota Matrix at least has the advantage of "Brand Credibility."
Old 08-28-2002, 01:01 AM

I think subaru finally has a hit on the their hands that the kids actually want. The WRX is gaining alot of popularity here in southern california and it looks like the "rally-racing" thing is looking like its going to be the next big thing down here in SoCal.

I think the Suby execs are happy to finally see their products starting to get popular, then all of a sudden GM wants to take one of their best products (WRX) and make thier own version of it and steal Suby's thunder right when Suby starts getting some attention.

I agree with those who think the WRX is ugly but there are some aftermarket mods that can make it look pretty good and with a super-high performance rally version of the WRX coming in mid 2003 i think old Suby is starting to get it right.

[This message has been edited by johnsocal (edited August 28, 2002).]
Old 08-28-2002, 10:10 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by redzed:
I never saw the virtue of selling a Subaru WRX as a Pontiac, a Chevrolet, or anything else other than a Subaru!

This is a lesson that should have been learned from the badge-engineering of the Chevrolet Prism. Despite being cheaper, and more sales franchises, the Chevrolet version of the Toyota Corolla failed to outsell the Japanese badged car.

I would suggest that the misguided Pontic Vibe should be axed as well. The similarly ugly Toyota Matrix at least has the advantage of "Brand Credibility."
</font>
Agree with ya on everything, however the Matrix/Vibe was jointly done by GM & Toyota.

I think they look diferently enough to fall outside the 'brand engineering' label, though they should be more different in the interior.

Vibe is actually the only minivan-like vehicle I'd remotely consider buying, it looks pretty decent. Not my cup of tea, but still decent.

Old 08-29-2002, 10:01 AM

Good. No badge would cover its hideousness.