Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Links Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Z28LiveVendor Directory

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #16

Re: Next Generation Mustang to Adopt EcoBoost for Efficiency, Ditch Solid Rear Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt View Post
Wonder how much moaning there will be when the GT is standard with a V6 turbo?
I think Chevy fans will face the same fate with the 6th gen. In the next gens of both cars, I think the V8 models will be $$$$$
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:30 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to HAZ-Matt
Re: Next Generation Mustang to Adopt EcoBoost for Efficiency, Ditch Solid Rear Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS View Post
I think Chevy fans will face the same fate with the 6th gen. In the next gens of both cars, I think the V8 models will be $$$$$
That's why they should cancel the Camaro and bring back the Firebird and Turbo Trans Am.

SOM FQuick Group FullThrottleV6 - The V6 Source
HAZ-Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #18

Quote:
That's why they should cancel the Camaro and bring back the Firebird and Turbo Trans Am.
I remeber watching the anniversary model with the 1 gallon hair-dried bent six go 12's back at the now defunct Suffolk Dragway - the car blew a head gasket but it was still pretty exciting to watch when a 13 second car was considered pretty damn fast.

With the new CAFE regs, I don't know how this will effect the engine mix on the Mustang, but I certainly hope the N/A V8 cars will be affordable - really not interested in a turbocharged 6 or 4 and I'm certainly willing to put the cash aside for a V8 car to get the payments down from super crazy to comfortable if that is the case going forward.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to HAZ-Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossco View Post
I remeber watching the anniversary model with the 1 gallon hair-dried bent six go 12's back at the now defunct Suffolk Dragway - the car blew a head gasket but it was still pretty exciting to watch when a 13 second car was considered pretty damn fast.

With the new CAFE regs, I don't know how this will effect the engine mix on the Mustang, but I certainly hope the N/A V8 cars will be affordable - really not interested in a turbocharged 6 or 4 and I'm certainly willing to put the cash aside for a V8 car to get the payments down from super crazy to comfortable if that is the case going forward.
As far as base cars go, I would be more interested in the Ecoboost 4 compared to an NA V6.

Moving up the ladder is where it gets tricky because I do like NA V8s (nothing beats a crossplane V8 in sound) but the right turbo V6 can make a lot of power with a minimal investment.

SOM FQuick Group FullThrottleV6 - The V6 Source
HAZ-Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:54 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Indelibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy3243 View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
That's an odd place to put the oil filter

But bring on the turbos!
Indelibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post

But bring on the turbos!
About the same location as on the 3 valve 4.6, beats the location on the 5.4 4v which is about the middle of the block on the driver's side - the GT500 motor uses a manifold that locates the liquid to liquid oil cooler about where the 4.6 3v has the regular oil filter with the 5.4's oil filter located along the backside of that manifold
Old 09-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossco View Post
About the same location as on the 3 valve 4.6, beats the location on the 5.4 4v which is about the middle of the block on the driver's side - the GT500 motor uses a manifold that locates the liquid to liquid oil cooler about where the 4.6 3v has the regular oil filter with the 5.4's oil filter located along the backside of that manifold
Oil filter placement in my 5.4 Expedition is dreadful. Directly above the front differential/transfer case. Can't get it from the top, and only can get one hand in through the suspension to grab it. At least its protected, about the only upside.
1999 Camaro SS #3347 Lid, SSRA, LS6 Intake, Hotcam, Jet-Hot LT's, True Duals, McLeod Street Twin, 4.10's
SSCamaro99_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to guionM Send a message via Yahoo to guionM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
A Turbo 4 was an option on the 1983 and 1984 GT.
Ditto on the '79 and '80 Cobra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pool boy View Post
I know some people would go nuts, but as long as the performance is there, I'm not sure that I would care. My 95 GT had a no-***** 215 hp 5.0 V8, so given the option between that and the Ecoboost 6, I know which one I would take. Look at the Aussies, it seems like they actually prefer their FI I6s over V8s.
Actually, the Aussie I6 died a few years ago.

Quote:
SVO was a Turbo-4 back in the day, I suppose they could call the V6 turbo that and reserve the GT trim for V8... that means the GT is not really an "affordable" performance car any longer, since it would need to be positioned higher up the price ladder.
Not sure why you're doing an obituary on an "affordable" Mustang GT. It's not going anywhere for quite awhile.

Not to spill any beans, but ask yourself: "does the 5.0 have direct injection?", "Why did Ford build in displacement on demand capability into the engine?", and finally, whats going to happen to engine output let alone performance and fuel economy if both did show up on a Mustang that was about 100-200 pounds lighter?

Ford's already shown how easy it is to get more power out of the 5.0 with the Boss.... don't you think they would easily open up a notable gap from the Ecoboost V6 to make it still relevent?

'97 Camaro Z28 6 speed (SOLD)
'89 Thunderbird SC (manual)
'93 Thunderbird SC (auto)
2002 CHP B4C (auto)

"...what the Thunderbird SC does best: look great and go fast. Very very fast....responds as if it had a 747 engine on it's roof"

"Better still is this big bruiser's balence...nose and tail bite as one."

"...the big paradox in the SC's character. It's better at going haywire fast than driving slow." (Car and Driver, March 1989)
guionM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to guionM Send a message via Yahoo to guionM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
I believe it's a picture of the SHO Ecoboost, which is mounted sideways.

'97 Camaro Z28 6 speed (SOLD)
'89 Thunderbird SC (manual)
'93 Thunderbird SC (auto)
2002 CHP B4C (auto)

"...what the Thunderbird SC does best: look great and go fast. Very very fast....responds as if it had a 747 engine on it's roof"

"Better still is this big bruiser's balence...nose and tail bite as one."

"...the big paradox in the SC's character. It's better at going haywire fast than driving slow." (Car and Driver, March 1989)
guionM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:18 PM

Reply Post New Thread