Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

New Device Disables Car if Driver Misses Payment

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 03:25 PM

what day is it?
Old 04-01-2008, 03:26 PM

I wouldn't buy a car with that system, and IMO if that's all you can afford you should be buying a cheaper car (or a kia), but as long as it's not manditory i'm ok with it.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:36 PM

Someone should make a coin-op car for people with 300 credit scores.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by GTOJack
Mel Farr Ford L-M near Detroit used something similar 5 or 6 years ago that would shut a car down while it was being driven. Trouble with that is, if you are going at hiway speeds and all of a sudden your car shuts off, an accident usually occurs. After several law suits, it was discontinued. Mel Farr had financial difficulties and is no longer a Ford dealer.
But he's still a Superstar!
Old 04-01-2008, 03:48 PM

Dats right! Mel Farr Superstar. I can remember his TV commercials where he would dress up in a cape. He was one of Fords largest minority dealership owners, but Ford cut ties with him "so they wouldn't follow him off the cliff".
Old 04-01-2008, 04:14 PM

Mel Farr Ford L-M near Detroit used something similar 5 or 6 years ago that would shut a car down while it was being driven. Trouble with that is, if you are going at hiway speeds and all of a sudden your car shuts off, an accident usually occurs. After several law suits, it was discontinued. Mel Farr had financial difficulties and is no longer a Ford dealer.
Wow, that must have been what they tried after they got tired of driving all over the city looking for cars with late payments so they could boot them.

I heard of a dealer with "Farr" in it here in Atlanta and I immediately thought...

As to the original article, if I had to sign up for something like that I wouldn't I would find a cheaper car or a used car. Even if it somehow made sense and I could save money on the car, I don't think I would.

And apparently, the code has to be manually keyed in every month or every two weeks. So that means you've got to drive to the dealership twice a month even if you mailed a payment? Hell no.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:46 PM

How about disabling cars of people that run the toll booths?
Old 04-01-2008, 06:20 PM

Dats right! Mel Farr Superstar. I can remember his TV commercials where he would dress up in a cape. He was one of Fords largest minority dealership owners, but Ford cut ties with him "so they wouldn't follow him off the cliff".
I remember them too. I love when he would fly across the screen. Anything for a buck.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:57 PM

I heard they had em at Big Bill Hell's. Home of Challenge pissing!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:35 PM

I heard that it got fixed so the car wouldn't start the next time you tried to start it. So people stopped making payments, but left the car running?
Old 04-04-2008, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
I don't see a problem with this so long as there's no way for anyone else to disable the car using the same system.
If it's RF or MF, there is NO WAY to prevent hackers with the right equipment from hacking in. Trust me on this.

So the vehicle could be randomly disabled... or more likely it could be "enabled" even when the lender thinks it's not.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
If it's RF or MF, there is NO WAY to prevent hackers with the right equipment from hacking in. Trust me on this.

So the vehicle could be randomly disabled... or more likely it could be "enabled" even when the lender thinks it's not.
I was certain this was an april fools joke. Im not liking this "option" I guess they already have it with onstar?
Old 04-05-2008, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by ProudPony

Since you have to manually enter a code every 2-4 weeks, it doesn't sound like it's receiving any signal. Sounds more like a timer that prompts you for the rolling random number key given to you by the creditor when you make a payment.