Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

New Device Disables Car if Driver Misses Payment

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Banned

I guess some are so desperate for a car, whether they can afford one or not, this "on time" box probably seems like a good idea!

Millions of sub-prime borrowers have made car purchases contingent upon having an unusual option: a little box mounted underneath the dashboard that forces them to make their payments on time. A light on the plastic box flashes when a payment is due. If the payment isn't made and the resulting code punched in to reset the box, the vehicle won't start.. This year car and truck repos are predicted to hit the highest level in at least a decade, according to USAToday.

As more dealers look for ways to protect themselves, Sekurus, maker of these "On Time" devices, has a revenue goal of $20 million this year. Car dealers say most customers aren't thrilled to punch in a code with every payment but grow accustomed to the device. "We've used it as a tool to keep the repo rates down," says Jeff Hamilton, partner in Hamilton Classic Cars in Chester, Va. "We don't have to go after them as much." Most of his customers are required to make payments twice a month, and often wait until the last day, "when it starts beeping at them."

Full Article: http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...terstitialskip
Old 04-01-2008, 10:17 AM

Maybe they should stop selling new 30K+ vehicles to people without jobs and with poor credit ratings? Call me crazy...
Old 04-01-2008, 10:18 AM

Why don't dealers do their homework and check a person's credit rating as well as income to see if they can you know, actually afford the car?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:27 AM

I don't see a problem with this so long as there's no way for anyone else to disable the car using the same system.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:37 AM

It is so easy to get a brand new car with no money down it is ridiculous
Old 04-01-2008, 10:41 AM

Well this is not really new, they have had this in on Oklahoma City for a while now. This are usually done at some the shady Buy here, pay here lots. I for one would never buy a car with this on it.

Some friends of mine have this cars, if a payment is late, the car will not start, so you could be at the store, out of town, gas station it does not matter. No code, no start.

One buddy of mine bought a Caddie ETC, the device caused all kinds of electrical issues, they had to take it off. I bet its not that hard to to bypass, its probably just a kill switch to the ignition, I would disable mine if i had one. Thank God it has not made its way to Tulsa,OK yet.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Threxx
I don't see a problem with this so long as there's no way for anyone else to disable the car using the same system.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
yah well most times people who cant pay for the car dont car about the car. they will probably trash the car and leave it where it is.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Banned

Between stuff like this and seven year car notes, I'm beginning to wonder if there is any end to public stupidity???
Old 04-01-2008, 12:10 PM

This is nothing new to the used car industry out here in KC. I know my friend bought a used car and got a loan on it from the dealer. He had the same kind of setup on his car. I'd never heard of this until he got that car. BTW, that was 3-4 years ago.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by mastrdrver
This is nothing new to the used car industry out here in KC. I know my friend bought a used car and got a loan on it from the dealer. He had the same kind of setup on his car. I'd never heard of this until he got that car. BTW, that was 3-4 years ago.
yup very old, my buddy had a car with it 4 years ago also
Old 04-01-2008, 12:29 PM

Some banks have gone to 96 mths and one even offers 120mths now. Bayview does 120. I worked for a dealership 6 years ago and we used Passtime devices on subprime people with 300 and 400 range credit scores. It's the main competitor of Ontime. It works great. Very few ever tried to disable it and if you do it's cause for repo. The payments were set up to be paid on your payday.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by LexLT1-Z28
I worked for a dealership 6 years ago and we used Passtime devices on subprime people with 300 and 400 range credit scores.
Holy crap
Old 04-01-2008, 01:52 PM

OnStar is capable of disabling your vehicle if it's stolen.

It's only a matter of proceedure to use it to disable cars for missed payments.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:13 PM

Mel Farr Ford L-M near Detroit used something similar 5 or 6 years ago that would shut a car down while it was being driven. Trouble with that is, if you are going at hiway speeds and all of a sudden your car shuts off, an accident usually occurs. After several law suits, it was discontinued. Mel Farr had financial difficulties and is no longer a Ford dealer.

Quick Reply: New Device Disables Car if Driver Misses Payment