Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Mustang to adopt Evos styling

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:58 AM

Mustang to adopt Evos styling

I dont know if this a good thing? (link to TTAC)

I like the Evos from the front but the sides and rear of the car dont exactly excite me.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:15 AM

Re: Mustang to adopt Evos styling

Hmmm...kneejerk reaction to Camaro's success?

I could see someone with power and influence at Ford saying "heritage styling has run its course, it's time for something completely different". Still, I think the comparison to Evos is probably a little exaggerated, I can't see a new Mustang looking e-x-a-c-t-l-y like that, at least I hope not, for their sake. Almost looks like a modern day Probe...which would be....quite ironic.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 AM

Could be? Although alot of people (Mustangers included) did like the Evos concept and I'm sure Ford is keen to regain the sales lead.

As for the gen-y blurb, do alot of gen-y'ers go in for the Camaro? It seems most of these guys are into the cars like the toyobaru twins - I've read several self proffesed gen-y comments ranging from cars like the Mustang and Camaro are embarrassing bloated gas guzzlers to something named Mustang that would be a direct competitor to the toyobaru twins (not fine in my book, I do like the option of being able to purchase something with a high powered V8 in a 2+2 coupe, even though it eschews razor sharp handling for a decent price).

On a slightly related note to the Mustang adopting AM's styling, back in the 70's AM was blasted for adopting what many considered signature Mustang styling cues - I guess things have come full circle if the next Mustang does indeed look like Aston's cheap relative
Old 04-16-2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by bossco
Could be? Although alot of people (Mustangers included) did like the Evos concept and I'm sure Ford is keen to regain the sales lead.

As for the gen-y blurb, do alot of gen-y'ers go in for the Camaro? It seems most of these guys are into the cars like the toyobaru twins - I've read several self proffesed gen-y comments ranging from cars like the Mustang and Camaro are embarrassing bloated gas guzzlers to something named Mustang that would be a direct competitor to the toyobaru twins (not fine in my book, I do like the option of being able to purchase something with a high powered V8 in a 2+2 coupe, even though it eschews razor sharp handling for a decent price).

On a slightly related note to the Mustang adopting AM's styling, back in the 70's AM was blasted for adopting what many considered signature Mustang styling cues - I guess things have come full circle if the next Mustang does indeed look like Aston's cheap relative
A lot of gen-Y'ers are retarded and are simply nothing more than ricers who slightly grew up. Because of the Hondas they had in their youth they are seeking for something similar, just more refined now that they are older. I don't like the the Camaro but the ZL1 looks cool. However, for that price I'd buy a Corvette or save some money and buy a Boss Mustang.

Just from my own observations of F5 owners around here, they seem to be in their late 30's to late 40'.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:42 PM

Or its a red herring to try to get the competition (Chevrolet) to follow suit and give up a more successful design for a radically new one.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
As for the gen-y blurb, do alot of gen-y'ers go in for the Camaro?

Not really, and I know it has been lamented here by some past posters. Thing is, were Mustang and Camaro ever really bought up in large numbers by young adults? These cars are more expensive than the Civics and Imprezzas and they always have been.

I understand the need to find a younger demographic, I just don't think you throw the baby out with the bathwater. A 'sport compact'-like Mustang isn't really a Mustang anymore. But I think the push to go smaller and lighter with the next round of pony cars is a VERY good thing for the segment. It will help turn around those "fat, gas-guzzling old man car" stereotypes.

It's sad that the current Mustang and Camaro V6 cars are very good cars that nobody knows/cares about. And these are the ones that should be in a Gen Y'ers wheelhouse. I guess there will always be that stigma there when it comes to V6 pony cars.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
A 'sport compact'-like Mustang isn't really a Mustang anymore.
To me, a rwd "sport-compact" is precisely what the Mustang (and Camaro) *should* be. Hopefully the new one *is* more of a '64 1/2 - '66 than the 600+ lb. heavier '71 - '73, and more of an '80s/early 90's 5.0 than a new 400+ lb. heavier "Lincoln LS lives on" '05+.

But I think the push to go smaller and lighter with the next round of pony cars is a VERY good thing for the segment. It will help turn around those "fat, gas-guzzling old man car" stereotypes.
Agree! Also, lighter weight = inherently more FUN! Increasing fuel prices and CAFE could be the best thing to happen to these cars. *Could* be...
Old 04-16-2012, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin
To me, a rwd "sport-compact" is precisely what the Mustang (and Camaro) *should* be.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin
To me, a rwd "sport-compact" is precisely what the Mustang (and Camaro) *should* be.
Depends on what you consider a "sport compact". I personally thought the '99-'04 Mustang was about the perfect size for these cars.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Depends on what you consider a "sport compact". I personally thought the '99-'04 Mustang was about the perfect size for these cars.
That size is fine as far as I'm concerned. Exactly the same as the '93-'98 btw, '99 was a styling makeover, same basic car. Pretty much the same size as the 80s Fox body as well.

They all look like low-slung sports cars parked next to an '05+ brick...

Here's hoping they get it back down to fighting weight, ~3200 lb.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:33 PM

The Evos is way too much like the current DB9 or Vantage or even a Jag XK, with a more Fiesta/Focus grille. While I like the way that concept looks, it does not say Mustang to me.

As far as styling goes, I like this current generation at least as well as any other one. But perhaps a Mustang with a little influence from the Evos but more Mustang character would be alright.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:28 PM

We could end up with another Probe situation...
Old 04-16-2012, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate
We could end up with another Probe situation...
Yeah, I'm wondering what the reaction is like in the Mustang community? This was actually a story and poll question on today's local 5 pm news and it looks like generally speaking, reaction is mixed.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:36 PM

Glad I got one already...
Old 04-16-2012, 11:32 PM

I think it has to have Mustang DNA in it..otherwise it it is a huge risk. Kind of the same way a BMW always looks like a BMW, or a Corvette looks like a Corvette.

That being said, I also would like to see a design of this generation that is truely ground breaking, and is not slavish to the past. I know someone will say the Camaro and Challenger are not retro..and more a evolution of an old design to a modern one. BUT I think that is BS. By that stretch, the New Beatle, Thunderbird, and 2005 Mustang also were not Retro..and they are the poster childs for the genre. To me, retro is when someone could be in a coma for 40 years, suddenly wake up, and instantly recognize a car without seeing any branding.

Quick Reply: Mustang to adopt Evos styling