Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

An open plea to GM: Offer a diesel in the Chevy Malibu

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:00 AM

An open plea to GM: Offer a diesel in the Chevy Malibu

Gas prices are soaring; and my 2002 Tahoe just hit 160k miles. While I have no plans of getting rid of my "utility vehicle", its getting a bit ridiculous for it to be my daily driver. If my commute were longer than 25 miles round trip, I would have replaced it with an econo-box for our daily trips to downtown Oakland long ago.

I like the new (2013) Malibu. Its about the size I need for a four-door sedan commuter car, which I could also use for shuttling around my mother-in-law, trips to Napa, trips across the Bay to visit my family. It also is stylish enough and has many of the amenities I'm looking for. But why on earth doesn't GM give us an option for the clean-burning diesel in the European version?

I purchased gas yesterday from a major retailer (Chevron). Prices were $4.25 for 87; $4.35 for 89 and $4.45 for 91. However Diesel #2 was only $4.13. Are you freakin' kidding me? Why on earth wouldn't anyone want better gas mileage, better performance, and lower fuel prices all rolled into one?

It seems that if I want to purchase a mid-sized sedan with a turbo diesel-four, my only options at the moment are all German brands. Hello, GM? Are you listening? You're missing the boat on a potential market niche that wouldn't cost you very much to implement.

Things are only going to get worse when it comes to fuel prices. I can't be the only one that wants a turbo diesel, can I?
Old 05-28-2012, 03:21 PM

Re: An open plea to GM: Offer a diesel in the Chevy Malibu

I bet your plea will be heard once GM gets back the sales figures of the Cruze diesel (when it comes out). If that doesn't sell well as a diesel, I don't know what will.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:16 PM

The Cruze has almost the same interior room as the 13' Malibu, and more cargo room (though that might be due to the eAssist). Just get a diesel Cruze.

See the bottom of the Autoblog review:
2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco

Plus, if the 35% increase in diesel sales this year is any indication - we'll hopefully be seeing many more diesels in the future.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/18/d...gh-35-percent/

Last edited by ImportedRoomate; 05-28-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:20 AM

Some of that is regional though. Diesel seems to be hovering around the cost of premium here, or even slightly above. All our prices are a bit lower than what you are paying though.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Some of that is regional though. Diesel seems to be hovering around the cost of premium here, or even slightly above. All our prices are a bit lower than what you are paying though.
Same here. I'm paying about $4 for diesel - right around the price for premium.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:05 PM

Diesel has been more expensive than gas here for awhile. Also, clean burning diesels so far require urea. I remember reading somewhere that someone had figured out away to get around that, but I don't know if GM has or not.

But, this might not be as simple as you think to implement. GM not having any small diesels plants in North America could be a problem since they don't have the infrastructure or supply chain to accommodate it, at least not yet.But as other have said, when (if) the diesel comes out in the Cruze, get that. It is pretty big, a little small on the rear seats, but lighter as well.

On final thought, you forgot to ask for it as a manual wagon too.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:28 PM

The 2013 Malibu is bigger than the Cruze in areas where it really counts. Its 10.5 in longer and 3 in wider. While the the headroom is about the same, the Malibu is 2 inches wider in the hips and shoulders in front (1.5 hips/3.2 shoulder in the rear), and has 1.5 inches more leg room in the rear.

Its a bigger car because its essentially replacing the Impala as the bread and butter Chevrolet large sedan with the Impala going upscale. I also like the interior amenities the Malibu has to offer.

I'm a big boy (300-lbs) and need all the room I can get.

If GM isn't going to build the car I want/need, then I'll expand my options to other brands, or perhaps even a used sedan with decent fuel mileage.