Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

More uncontrolled acceleration / runaway car: This time KIA (with police video)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 AM

More uncontrolled acceleration / runaway car: This time KIA (with police video)

Police cams capture woman's 119-mph stuck accelerator run [w/video]

Apparently won't shift out of drive.

Push button ignition doesnt turn it off.

E-Brake doesn't help.

Brakes don't work.

Apparently, 911 had her pull up on the accelerator pedal and push the brake pedal and that stopped the car finally...
Old 08-28-2012, 11:25 AM

Re: More uncontrolled acceleration / runaway car: This time KIA (with police video)

Brakes don't work usually means the driver isn't pushing hard enough (with little / no power assist because no vacuum available at WOT, it would indeed be difficult). I'm sure the brakes were in fact functioning though.

Still don't understand how a shift to neutral is not honored. That sounds like a problem, if she did in fact move the selector to the neutral position. (But it wouldn't surprise me if she didn't; I'm sure she was near full panic mode.)

As mentioned in the article, I'm guessing there is a way for the power to be shut down (press and hold button for x seconds?), probably listed in the owner's manual.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:31 PM

Re: More uncontrolled acceleration / runaway car: This time KIA (with police video)

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
Police cams capture woman's 119-mph stuck accelerator run [w/video]

Apparently won't shift out of drive.

Push button ignition doesnt turn it off.

E-Brake doesn't help.

Brakes don't work.

Apparently, 911 had her pull up on the accelerator pedal and push the brake pedal and that stopped the car finally...
More like... she didn't know how to shift out of drive. I've yet to drive a car that won't let you put it in neutral, and I've driven a 2012 Sorento rental car, and I remember putting it on neutral to coast on some downhills. I'm skeptical that the "car didn't let her" put it into neutral...

The ignorance of today's drivers is staggering. Most people know only how to do 3 things with their car. Turn-it on, put it in P, D, or R, and use 2 peddles. Everything else about the car is foreign to them.

Last edited by King Moose SS; 08-28-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:59 PM
rwb

The ignorance of today's drivers is staggering. Most people know only how to do 3 things with their car. Turn-it on, put it in P, D, or R, and use 2 peddles. Everything else about the car is foreign to them.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure she could use the radio just fine.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:37 PM

Haven't been in a car that wasn't Korean since March 16th when I got dropped off at the airport back home at CVG. I haven't seen or heard of them having any problems here. In fact, they switch to neutral all the time while driving. Seems to me she just was a bit freaked out.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:38 AM

I see a lot of morons on the road every day driving.... doing things that are pretty hard to believe anyone would do while driving...

But I have a hard time believing someone is such a poor driver, or freaks out so bad that they can't effectively hit the brake pedal... or shift the car to neutral... especially when an incident lasts as long as this one did...

To be honest, I think the lady sounded pretty damn composed when this was all going on conisdering there was a real chance she was going to die in a moment, and possibly take people out with her.

I think it is fair to assume there is possibly an issue with at least this individual car, if no the model itself.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:48 AM

But I have a hard time believing someone is such a poor driver, or freaks out so bad that they can't effectively hit the brake pedal... or shift the car to neutral... especially when an incident lasts as long as this one did...
Anybody remeber the girl in the Jetta (IIRC), she was an absolute wreck as her car sped down the road - I think it was a combination of police video and 911 recorded conversation.

You guys are looking at this all wrong though, I'm thinking this is just the ticket (no pun intended) to get out of a ticket.

Some glycerin tears, an onion and a bit of acting in the mirror and I bet I'll be able to get away with that top speed banzai run
Old 09-04-2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by bossco
Anybody remeber the girl in the Jetta (IIRC), she was an absolute wreck as her car sped down the road - I think it was a combination of police video and 911 recorded conversation.

You guys are looking at this all wrong though, I'm thinking this is just the ticket (no pun intended) to get out of a ticket.

Some glycerin tears, an onion and a bit of acting in the mirror and I bet I'll be able to get away with that top speed banzai run

Does the person in that video really strike you as the type to want to pull off a crazy death run?

Obviously, there are people who try to use this as an excuse to get out of a screw up on their part, but I dont think that is the case all of the time......
Old 09-04-2012, 03:40 PM

It's Idiocracy. The people are getting dumber and the requirements to have a license in this country are practically non-existent.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:26 AM

Does the person in that video really strike you as the type to want to pull off a crazy death run?
I was refering to me trying to get out of a ticket on a crazy death run

On a related note, I was messing around with a buddy of mine one day, we pulled up to the stoplight and I popped the gas in an effort to turn the tires over - Imagine my surprise when the gas pedal was unknowingly pinned by the floor mat.

I disengaged the engine as it zinged off the rev limiter for a sec then cut it off - kinda dumbfounded since this had never happened before (and this is where that mood-lighting on the MyFord came in handy ) I checked things out and looked down finding the pedal held fast by the mat.

Admittedly before I saw the pinned mat, the thought of an electronic throttle getting all "I, Robot" on me did cross my mind.