Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Market share thread & sales thread (anything you want to know, this is your thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 12:31 PM

Cool Market share thread & sales thread (anything you want to know, this is your thread!)

This is the market share as of March 1st 2006.

In the intrest of convience, I'm including only makers who have a market share of 1% or more.

(If they aren't listed here, they have less than a 1% market share....
yes, this includes Mitsubishi)

GM-------------24.4
Ford------------17.4
Chrysler---------14.4
Toyota----------13.6
Honda------------8.5
Nissan------------6.7
Hyundai-----------2.7
Mazda------------1.7
Kia & BMW(tied)---1.6
VW---------------1.4
Mercedes Benz-----1.2
Subaru-------------1.1

Of this group, the company with the biggest sales increase is VW (over 24% increase in sales over last year) followed by Mercedes Benz (over 16%) and Honda (over 14%).

Biggest losers: Subaru (-3.4%), Ford (-0.8%), and Nissan (managed a 0.7% gain).

Mitsubishi lost 21% of it's sales over last year, enough to give it a mere 0.6% of the US market. GM gained 1.3% in sales (and about 1 point gain in market share).

The most mind numbing drop in sales over last year?
Jaguar. Down 40%.

The most stunning climb?
Maserati. Up 115%.

Intresting facts:

*The single model BMW Mini owns 0.2% of the US market. Identical to GM's ENTIRE Saab line.... and nearly half of Audis.

*Pontiac's GTO owns a far bigger share of the US market than the Isuzu division.

*For the month of February, Chrysler increased it's gap with Toyota. 15.1% to Toyota's 13.2.

*Not mentioned in the press, Chrysler is within 3% market share of Ford and, has a real possibility of overtaking Ford within the next 18-24 months if little changes at Ford and Chrysler keeps expanding their lineup.

*The Chevrolet Impala alone could be the 8th biggest selling brand manufacturer in the US, right between the entire line of Mazda and Kia.

*Saturn's within 700 cars of outselling Mitsubishi this year so far. Corvette's within 300 of all Porsche models combined.

*Pontiac still sold 210 Bonnevilles last month, though the car's been discontinued for 2 years. That's nothing. They still sold 64 Olds Aleros.

*Grand Prix fans, sales of your car are up...64.5% over last year!

*There were 194 Ford GTs sold last month. An sales increase of 4,750% over last year.

Also at Ford, almost across the board their cars are doing very well, only 2 cars seeing sales declines: the soon to be discontinued Taurus (-8%) and the "should-have-brought-over-the-new-Euro-model-instead-of-this-lame-restyling" Focus (-10%).

However, Ford's SUVs almost across the board are seeing drops in excess of 20%! The only time you can use "Ford & Mercury trucks and SUVs" and "increase sales" in the same sentence are: Freestyle, F-series, & Heavy trucks. Year to date Lincoln sales are up (Zephyr) while Mercury sales are down (exclusively because of the discontinued Sable).

Chrysler 300 was the 11th best selling car in the US last month, and it's sales are still climbing. Chrysler 300 is now the best selling car in the Luxury Large Car segment, outselling it's nearest competitor 2 to 1. Charger is catching on, sales up 26%.

Dodge Ram is selling at 50% of what Ford is selling, and 2/3s of Chevrolet's Silverado. Chrysler's minivan is in it's 22nd year as the US' best selling. For those of you who still are locked in the mindset that retro design has short legs, the retouched PT Cruser saw a sales jump of 45%.
Sold over 11,000 to Chevy's 8,000 HHRs.
About twice as many Chevy dealers than Chrysler, so dealers are making bank selling more PTs through fewer dealers.

http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs...603020340/1148

Chrysler
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060201/dew021.html?.v=42

GM
http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...=6&docid=23788

Ford
http://media.ford.com/article_displa...&make_id=trust

Last edited by guionM; 03-02-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:35 PM

Re: Market share thread & sales thread (anything you want to know, this is your thread!)

Cool, What is Chevy's market share?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:39 PM

Re: Market share thread & sales thread (anything you want to know, this is your thread!)

Surprising to see that GM has actually gained market share.

I'm really hoping better days are ahead, and these new "knockout" vehicles coming over the next 3 years live up to the hype. If not, I fear for what that list may look like in 2010.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:43 PM

Awesome to see the Grand Prix take off...considering that last few months there have been no rebates!
Old 03-02-2006, 12:50 PM

Re: Market share thread & sales thread (anything you want to know, this is your threa

Originally Posted by guionM
*Pontiac's GTO owns a far bigger share of the US market than the Isuzu division.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by km9v
Cool, What is Chevy's market share?
This is something I don't want to get into. As soon as I do Chevy's market share, someone is going to post that I should break up Ford and Chrysler into divisions because they don't like that Chevy is outsold by Ford or is barely ahead of Chrysler.

Not going to go there. Nope.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:09 PM

Re: Market share thread & sales thread (anything you want to know, this is your threa

This is something I don't want to get into. As soon as I do Chevy's market share, someone is going to post that I should break up Ford and Chrysler into divisions because they don't like that Chevy is outsold by Ford or is barely ahead of Chrysler.

Not going to go there. Nope.
My prediction: someone else is going to divulge this information anyway, so it really doesn't matter. Besides, this is a discussion forum, you know, to discuss.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:14 PM

Thanks Gui- great info!!

*The single model BMW Mini owns 0.2% of the US market. Identical to GM's ENTIRE Saab line.... and nearly half of Audis.
MINI's market share is going to take a dump in 2006 while the factory gets shut down a few times for expansion and tooling-up for the all-new 2007 Mini to be launched this August. I would think that by 2008 Mini's US market share will be signficantly larger then the current 0.2% since they will be adding additional models to the line-up like the 2008 wagon-like Traveler and will most likely expand the dealer network. MINI's still have $2000-$5000 dealer markups on them here in California (only a few dealers sell them here @ MSRP) even though they have been on the market now for 4 years.

There also has been rumors that BMW could start buiding additional Mini variations by 2010 @ BMW's Carolina plant(s) to meet demand and/or make US exclusive models.

Last edited by johnsocal; 03-03-2006 at 01:37 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:31 PM

Very cool,

How about doing this once a month, but with brand breakdowns too
Old 03-02-2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
Awesome to see the Grand Prix take off...considering that last few months there have been no rebates!
Well, they dropped the sticker $1,600!!!!

Base GP = $21,995

Base GT = $24,995

Base GXP = $27,995

For $ to performance, its hard to beat either the GT or GXP in the marketplace these days. They barely cost more than a G6, give more room, and the engines are great. Sure, the 3900 in a G6 GTP is nice, but it won't touch a 3800 s/c with just a pulley, let alone anything else

I wonder how much of that increase is due to FLEET SALES, though I'd love to think adding the s/c to the GT is what's helping, but based on my own sales, I doubt it
Old 03-02-2006, 04:11 PM

It is amazing that the Grand Prix keeps soldiering on. You have to give a lot of credit to RLSedition and the guys who worked on that car. Even with a small budget they managed to bring out the GXP, which turns the lineup from a joke into a real performance value (260hp in your mid-range model!.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:25 PM

Who else here is buying shares before the camaro comes out?
Old 03-02-2006, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang
My prediction: someone else is going to divulge this information anyway, so it really doesn't matter. Besides, this is a discussion forum, you know, to discuss.
Im pretty sure he just doesnt want to have to figure it all out and write it all up
Old 03-02-2006, 07:16 PM

Mitsubishi lost 21% of it's sales over last year
Excuse me as I fall to the ground and pray to the almighty! Further proof that there is a god!

As for the Ford GT, I wonder if that has to do with the end of its production run or that the prices of the GT are coming down to a sane level. I hear one of the GTs in southern Va is going for roght around sticker.

Last edited by bossco; 03-02-2006 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:23 PM

Is this US or Global market share?

Quick Reply: Market share thread & sales thread (anything you want to know, this is your thread!)