Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

LOL .. The new GTO looks like a Grand Prix ha ha.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 07:02 AM

Thumbs down LOL .. The new GTO looks like a Grand Prix ha ha.

Ive heard this comment time and time again...
There is even someone who has a comparision pic to prove their point in their sig...and touts it... well guess what?

Grand Prix
GTO
Grand Prix
GTO
Grand Prix
GTO

So tell me the difference ??? other than the missing scoops.

Secondly, people call this car an import, well Australia and Canada are probably the closest cousins to America, and the F-body has been built in Canada for a while now.

So laugh away !!! even though you don't know what your talking about...

[This message has been edited by Ude-lose (edited July 11, 2002).]
Old 07-11-2002, 07:28 AM
cmc

Hah! Best post ever!
Old 07-11-2002, 08:26 AM

LOL.

You know, you did some good research on that, and you have a great point, especially with the pictures backing it up.

I guess you have given a shred of justification to the fact that the new GTO looks like a current Grand Prix...

I still think this is a different time,though, and a car like this needs to be readily identifyable as what it is, and not possibly be confused with something else... but regardless, good job, and point taken!
Old 07-11-2002, 09:02 AM

Ude-Lose,
Great job!!
It's like I've saying right along. Brand identity. Pontiac has a strong one and they've had it for years.
I guess people just needed pictures for proof.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:50 AM

Thumbs up

THANK YOU! I'm sick of all the whining thats been going on!

------------------
-Joshua
1997 Bright Red T/A WS6 M6
I was thinking dagger. -Steve Nash
Old 07-11-2002, 10:00 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sixer-Bird:
THANK YOU! I'm sick of all the whining thats been going on!

</font>
Call it what you want... but obviously a lot of people are disappointed that the car is not unique looking... history or no history.

Old 07-11-2002, 10:01 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ude-lose:
Ive heard this comment time and time again...
There is even someone who has a comparision pic to prove their point in their sig...and touts it... well guess what?

Grand Prix
GTO
Grand Prix
GTO
Grand Prix
GTO

So tell me the difference ??? other than the missing scoops.

Secondly, people call this car an import, well Australia and Canada are probably the closest cousins to America, and the F-body has been built in Canada for a while now.

So laugh away !!! even though you don't know what your talking about...

</font>
Hahaha...lay the smack down!

------------------
Branden-Founder www.GMInsidenews.com
The #1 GM News Site on the Net!
1995 Firebird A4
White with red leather
1979 Firebird Formula SOLD!!! 8/2001
Visit my homepage!
Old 07-11-2002, 10:11 AM
Prominent Member

Talking

So actually you've proven our point!.....It ALWAYS had hood scoops or something else to identify itself as a GTO...the "new" one has nothing.....but a five year old dated design.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:28 AM

Yep - the new one has nothing, except for its

1. Award-winning LS1 V8
2. Front and side airbags
3. Spacious back seat
4. Award-winning IRS RWD vehicle design

Making the new GTO similar to existing Pontiac coupes/sedans is the truest tribute of all to the original GTO heritage. Want some hood scoops? www.jcwhitney.com sells them for $29.95. I'll admit I like concepts like Dutch Injun's drawing better... but the 2004 GTO will be a great immediate GTO torch-bearer and I predict it will be a success in the US.

------------------
NBM 99Formula, DF Lid, K&N, SLP WS6 Takeoff Muffler | DFGreen 98 GTP, Insulated SLP K&N, !U!Res, transcooler
| Dark Red Metallic 1990 IROC-Z Camaro, stock
Old 07-11-2002, 10:59 AM

A five year dated design??? is that all you can come up with?? you clearly know its no run of the mill GP, still pontiac wanted it to resemble the family.

The GTO is back, with an interior that slaps the f-body/mustang in the face, handling that is just short vette road holding ability, and Lutz anounces that 350hp will be the entry level HP.

and your response is that its a 5 year old design, i don't even know how you came to that conclusion.

GuionM went to Australia and saw it 1st hand, have you??? his impression was "vault tight" do you know what that means? no rattles , squeeks , clunks.

Do not be worried about the made in australia, this is only temporary and with the huge success of this vehicle production will shift to the states.

Lastly a lot of Ford fans are showing up in various GM forums knocking and critisizing the GTO... trying to keep the GM boys against it,the GTO will hit Mustang sales like the f-body never could and its gonna sting like a bitch

Old 07-11-2002, 11:04 AM

the GTO will hit Mustang sales like the f-body never could and its gonna sting like a bitch

</font>

Well, that is pretty much impossible since the GTO is going to be limited to 20,000 units.

Old 07-11-2002, 11:10 AM

I was refering to- if mass production begins in the states and the price comes down to mustang/f-body level. Why I ask has the stang had outstanding sales compared to the f-body??? cant be the performance advantage.

Old 07-11-2002, 11:24 AM

Why I ask has the stang had outstanding sales compared to the f-body??? cant be the performance advantage.

</font>

1) Better advertising budget.
2) More extensive sheetmetal freshening.
3) More choices and special cars.
4) Ford dealers stock a rainbow of colors and transmission for Mustang, you're lucky to find any kind of Camaro or irebird on a dealer lot.
5) Mustang has a very slight price advantage with the V8's, but a pretty good price advantage in the V6... a lot of the volume is picked up here.
6) Like it or not, the Mustang name is more recognized than the Camaro name, even though the Camaro name is well known.

Old 07-11-2002, 11:36 AM

GTO can address most of those above areas and is a much more direct competotor for the stang again if production shifts to the states and price decreases, as for variants you only need to look at Holden HSV to find an abundance of styles ranging fron 4 doors for familys to 405hp GTS. Lutz knows what is doing.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:46 AM

GTO can address most of those above areas and is a much more direct competotor for the stang again if production shifts to the states and price decreases, as for variants you only need to look at Holden HSV to find an abundance of styles ranging fron 4 doors for familys to 405hp GTS. Lutz knows what is doing. </font>
Even if this GTO shifts production to the US, which I seriously doubt will happen unless they go to a completely different platform, GTO will never be able to take a 'huge' chunk of Mustang sales away because it is going to be priced so much higher than Mustang that most people won't even give it a thought. Even more so if the make special edition GTO's... the price will go even higher.

Plus the fact that the GTO seems to be a much bigger, family oriented type of performance car, and the Mustang is still, even in it's comprimised state, more of a pony car than the GTO could be...

I'm not saying that an American built GTO couldn't sell well, just saying it's not going to take a significant amount of Mustang sales away, and certainly not more than the F-Body did/can/will...

[This message has been edited by Darth Xed (edited July 11, 2002).]

Quick Reply: LOL .. The new GTO looks like a Grand Prix ha ha.