Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

LA Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 04:17 PM

LA Auto Show

I am getting ready to head down to L.A. right now with my brother. First major auto show I have attended, pretty excited

We are staying with my sister and brother in law in Santa Monica. Anyone else from the board going? We are going to be there tomorrow bright and early

Drive safe everyone
Old 12-02-2006, 06:04 PM

I will as well, not sure what time though.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:01 AM

Didn't go to the press event this year. Still debating about going to the show.

If I go, it'll be Wednesday or Thursday.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:51 PM

Will you guys let us know which concept will be at the show? Went last year and saw the Red one. Hope they have the Silver this year.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:35 PM

Silver was there.

here is my little rundown.

Hadn't seen the Camaro or the Challenger in person, and have seen so many pictures, I wasn't really overly impressed. I knew the basic size of them, and knew what to expect. Still think the interior on the Camaro is bleh, and still think the Challenger is pretty blah as a whole.

Dodge had a very good looking woman on top of the Nitro turntable. Me and my brother hung out there for a while, great looking gal. The Nitro isn't all that bad either in person. The front end, especially the ram grille treatment, was not good looking. But overall, not too bad.

Impressions of the Enclave/Outlook/Acadia..... I was a bit underwhelmed. I am sure they will compete in their respective class, but there are things about all of them I like, and dislike. Like the front end on the outlook, dislike the interior and rear. Like the front on the acadia, like the interior, dislike the rear. Enclave is probably best looking exterior, but still the Acadia interior is best looking to me.

Lexus was definately dull. I like the IS 2/350, but everything else looks wise can stay home. I was never a fan of Mercedes, but some of their newer cars are really nice. the S63 AMG, for instance.

Pontiac and Buick was pretty much a wasteland. Not many people around, except around the Red Bull Solstice and the other "Solsti." Quite a bit of people around Saturn, people all saying"whats this? a saturn?" to the Sky. Chevy had alot of people, first time I approached the Camaro Concept there had to be 200 people around...

Saab was pretty empty other than the Aero X concept. Good looking in person. Overheard an older fella telling his teenage son that the Aero X is a production ready car.... his son was questioning him and he seemed pretty confident we would see it out on the road within a few years.... good times.

BMW had everything there, and there was not much buzz around the new X5. not many people looking at it. Alot of people were interested in the 335i coupe. I have been in a few already, but still, sweet car.

One place we didn't go, as we actually forgot(seperate hall) was Porsche. Once we realized we were already up out of the SF Valley, no turning back. I was looking forward to seeing the GT3, and sit in a Cayman S. Oh well.

Surprise car of the show for me and my brother was the Audi R8. I remember in a thread here not too long ago I had said I did not really know what to think about it. It was alot smaller than it looked in pictures. Overall the car front to back was very impressive! Everything is tied together well, and although the Sail panel on the silver car was carbon fiber, it did not look out of place. Granted, I would get body color, but still, not bad. Thought Audi had quite a good showing with all of their new models. Even the SUV looks nice. I have always found Audi to be a bit overpriced though.

Thats about it. I will stop now before I start my Ford bashing.