Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

How long does it take for an build order to get "picked up in the system" by GM?

Old 01-21-2011, 07:22 AM

How long does it take for an build order to get "picked up in the system" by GM?

Just wondering if anyone knows...

I ordered a car last night to replace the Envoy (the lease is up in 2-3 months)... we are buying this one since we are putting more miles on the vehicles now with the kids, so I went ahead and ordered exactly what we wanted.

I havent ordered a car from the factory before, always found one on the lot or did a dealer trade to get what I wanted...

Anyway, I am anxious to track the build process on Chevy.com... I have the order number and all... but my dealer said it takes a while for it to show up int he system because it does show until the order is 'picked up'.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:39 AM

Re: How long does it take for an build order to get "picked up in the system" by GM?

So what kind of vehicle did you order?
Old 01-21-2011, 07:53 AM

Re: How long does it take for an build order to get "picked up in the system" by GM?

Originally Posted by Z28x
So what kind of vehicle did you order?

Ordered a Traverse LTZ AWD. Only additional option added was the cargo net / security shade.... didnt want the $1400 sunroof, or the nav or DVD players.... everything else is pretty much standard on the LTZ.

I was torn between building an LTZ this way, or picking an LT2 and adding the leather and the connectivity package (bluetooth, remote start, etc)... the LT2 would have been a touch over $1400 cheaper.

For that $1400 extra on the LTZ, you get the 20" wheels, chrome grill insert, memory seats, heated and cooled seats (LT2 is just heated), dual exhaust with polsihed tips (supposedly good for 8 additional hp), plus express up and down drivers window and express down passenger window, and some trim details that only the LTZ gets.

All that said, the onyl thing I really cared about in all that was the memory seats.

I was all set to ordet the LT2 and save the extra bucks, then I looked up resale on kbb and nada... I used a 2009 with 24k as an example, and there was a (roughly) $6000 difference between the two in trade in value... so, according to both those sites, that $1400 ends up being a positive addition down the road because of the higher trim level I guess

So, with that in mind, it helped justify the extra expense for the LTZ.

Interestingly enough, I was also considering a Buick Enclave CXL-1 AWD... The Enclave was even more than the LTZ by an additional $3000... using the same numbers on kbb and nada (2009 model year with 24k miles), the LTZ comes in with a $2000 HIGHER trade-in value than the Enclave. Go figure.

We picked Cyber Gray Metallic with the Ebony and Cashmere combo interior. I think it will look great together, and you dont see that combination a lot.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:32 AM

Very cool, my parents just picked up a 2011 Cyber gray Equinox. Great color.

We are going to get a new SUV next year. Right now it is between the Equinox, Edge, and Traverse. Most likely we will be getting the new Edge or Equinox because they are more fuel efficient and this vehicle will be driven 20,000mi a year.

Heated seats are a must for me in the next vehicle. Good choice going with the vehicle that has heated and cooled seats, especially since they are leather.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:41 PM

Awesome ride. I am a big fine of those AC seats. I wish they would put them on the Camaro! I am looking for a used Escalade EXT right now to replace my pickup just to get the cooled seats.

-Geoff
Old 01-22-2011, 07:15 AM

Thanks!

I figured it might be neat to update this thread through the tracking process... just somethign for anyone who might be considering ordering a car at some point.

So far, I placed the order at the dealership on 01/20/11.

Today, 01/22/11, the order has showed up on the www.chevy.com tracking system as "ORDER PLACED", with a general discription and picture of how the car will be built.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:30 PM

Air Conditioned seats rock. They are like gold bond without the powder. Congrats on the new car. Personally, I would be weary of buying a loaded out anything minus the NAV option. I guess if you trade it does not matter..but when you sell private party, most people who pay for things like air conditioned seats also want Nav.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by formula79
Air Conditioned seats rock. They are like gold bond without the powder.
LOL. I'll keep that in mind when I try them for the first time.

Congrats on the new car. Personally, I would be weary of buying a loaded out anything minus the NAV option. I guess if you trade it does not matter..but when you sell private party, most people who pay for things like air conditioned seats also want Nav.

Hadn't thought about that with the Nav, and I would imagine there is a good deal of truth to that....

We have a Garmin, though, and it's really hard to justify dropping $1800 or whatever for what I can get most of for a couple hundred bucks (and already have) AND have it be portable between vehicles...
Old 01-24-2011, 08:04 AM

One thing I will add that I think is kinda lame.... as I understand it, there are no multi-CD radios available in the lambdas... like a 6 disc radio.

I understand times are changing with MP3's and all that, but I *LIKE* being able to load 6 discs and not have to worry about changing discs very often for variety.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
One thing I will add that I think is kinda lame.... as I understand it, there are no multi-CD radios available int he lambdas... liek a 6 disc radio.

I understand times are changing with MP3's and all that, but I *LIKE* being able to load 6 discs and not have to worry about changing discs very often for variety.
That is like complaining about the lack of tape deck option

I ripped all my music to MP3 then burn MP3 CD's that hold like 10 albums. It is like having a 10 disk changer on one CD. The USB port is a nice feature on the car that have it. I guess you can hook up a flash drive or hard drive and use it to play music.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 AM

I ripped all my music to MP3 then burn MP3 CD's that hold like 10 albums. It is like having a 10 disk changer on one CD. The USB port is a nice feature on the car that have it. I guess you can hook up a flash drive or hard drive and use it to play music.
Yep CD's/CD changers have become obsolete. In some ways it is unfortunate though because MP3s are usually not of the quality of an original production CD.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Yep CD's/CD changers have become obsolete. In some ways it is unfortunate though because MP3s are usually not of the quality of an original production CD.

Ya, but tell this to my 68 year old mom... or my 60 year old father-in-law.

And even me, I'm 38, and I still LIKE being able to load multiple CD's.

In my SRX, I have a 6 disc changer with an MP3 connection.

I find it to be a royal PITA to use the MP3 player... I have to take it out, hook up the cord, have it lay in my cup holder, fumble aroudn iwth my MP3 player to get things going... I dont like it, to be honest, and I just listen to my CD's.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:25 PM

Nothing like cooled seats in the summer swamp a** cured
Old 01-24-2011, 03:43 PM
BBOMG Organizer

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
Thanks!

I figured it might be neat to update this thread through the tracking process... just somethign for anyone who might be considering ordering a car at some point.

So far, I placed the order at the dealership on 01/20/11.

Today, 01/22/11, the order has showed up on the www.chevy.com tracking system as "ORDER PLACED", with a general discription and picture of how the car will be built.
Go to www.Chevroletconnects.com and enter your order number there. It all depends on whether your dealership has an allocation which he can assign to your order. Until he does, your order will sit at 1100. Generally speaking, the bigger the dealership (volume), the faster the order gets built.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Hylton
Go to www.Chevroletconnects.com and enter your order number there. It all depends on whether your dealership has an allocation which he can assign to your order. Until he does, your order will sit at 1100. Generally speaking, the bigger the dealership (volume), the faster the order gets built.
Thanks for the link, I didnt know about this site.

It doesn't look like it is an actual GM site, though... how are they associated or how do they get the order info if that is correct?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How long does it take for an build order to get "picked up in the system" by GM?