Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM Trademarks Nomad

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:31 AM

GM Trademarks Nomad

GM trademarked the name Nomad on May 22nd. Just thought I would share that to see where the speculation might lead.

There was a lot of talk about how the Code 130R concept would look good as a shooting brake. Nomad would fit that style of car. Maybe that is just wishful thinking.

Any other ideas? VF Wagon for the U.S.?
Old 06-12-2012, 08:52 AM

Re: GM Trademarks Nomad

huh... that's pretty cool!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:29 PM

I know a certain biker gang that will not be happy.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 PM

GM also recently trademarked GNX and Grand National...
Old 06-13-2012, 07:31 AM

probably just protecting their old names...
Old 06-26-2012, 04:13 PM

Before I say this, I want to make clear GM has no project on the books like this, so please don't read into this.

Back when the Kappa based Nomad concept came out (along with Saturn's Curve coupe), GM... Lutz in particular... saw the Kappa as a vehicle that could be made in multible ways, including a sedan.

10 years, a financial meltdown, and a bankruptcy later, the spinoff of that plan, the Alpha platform, is finally here. GM is actually working on an offshoot of the platform for use in lower priced, volume cars (much like the Code 135R or a bigger version for the next Camaro and Chevy's next Sports Sedan).

It would be a great idea if GM would create a Nomad based on the Code 135R, with the same spirit as the Kappa based Nomad concept. If the 135 is approved, then I don't think it would take much to do a Nomad off of it.

Of course it wouldn't exactly sell like gangbusters, but who knows. The PT Cruiser was initially planned as a niche vehicle with a lifespan of a few years, but instead it sold like it was the cure for cancer the first 3 or 4 years, and we had to look at those things in showrooms for nearly a decade... well past it's expiration date.

Whose to say a Kappa Nomad wouldn't have similar success.

BTW:
Chevrolet had 2 Nomad concepts within 6 years because they were seriously looking at doing the car. The 1st one would have likely piggybacked off of the 5th gen Camaro program if it had been approved (my own speculation is that it would have essentially been a Camaro stationwagon sharing many body parts... again, this is just my own speculation).

The fact that a few years later a Kappa version was done IMHO shows that GM was serious about the car.

The 2004 Kappa version which most everyone remembers:

The lesser known 1999 concept:

Old 06-26-2012, 05:21 PM

The Kappa version is better looking.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 PM

I think a Code 130R based mini-El Camino would be a better idea.

Last edited by jg95z28; 06-27-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:55 PM

They could put in a Commodore wagon also.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:23 AM

IMHO a 130R version makes more sense than a VF version. Larger, 4 door wagons do not sell well anymore. A 130R version would have a better starting price point and be much more fuel efficient which would be huge selling points for a vehicle like this. Also, a case can be made that it would be beneficial to the overall sales volume for the Alpha platform. A 130R based Nomad could also be sold globally where smaller wagons are still much more popular than in the U.S. At the price point a VF Nomad would come in at, what would be draw vs. a similar sized SUV, like the Equinox? Equinox would offer more utility and better fuel economy.

From what I remember, there was a lot of internal support for the Kappa based Nomad from some very well positioned people at GM but given GM's financial problems and Kappa's lack of flexibility, a feasible business case could not be made. This type of vehicle (smaller, 2-door Wagon) seems like something Gm has been trying to do for a while but hasn't had the proper platform or funds to do.

What I would like to see from Chevy for an Alpha line up would be:
Small Coupe (Code 130R but with a real name)
Small 2-door wagon based off the coupe (Nomad)
Alpha+ 6th Gen Camaro
Alpha+ Sports Sedan (Next Gen Chevy SS but in a full range, not just premium form like we are getting with the one coming next year)
Old 06-27-2012, 01:28 PM

A small 4-door wagon is a possibility. A 2-door wagon simply won't sell in large enough numbers and will never be built other than as a concept vehicle.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
A small 4-door wagon is a possibility. A 2-door wagon simply won't sell in large enough numbers and will never be built other than as a concept vehicle.
2 Door Mini wagon sell fairly well.

Veloster is in a similar vein.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by posaune
2 Door Mini wagon sell fairly well.

Veloster is in a similar vein.
Both of which are much smaller than Alpha.

Don't get me wrong, I have been clamoring for a compact 2-door hot hatch from GM for years. However the entry-level compacts are being targeted at the Millennial generation, and studies show that the majority of them prefer four doors over two. (Veloster actually has three doors, one on the driver side and two on the passenger side.) Adding a Cruze hatchback to the North American market would be a more logical move.

A 2-door alpha wagon wouldn't be more than a niche vehicle and sell fewer numbers than the SSR did. Start with a Chevrolet Alpha 2-door coupe and 4-door sedan. Later add a 2-door convertible, and perhaps even a 4-door wagon if studies indicate it would sell. However a 2-door wagon or a 2-door mini-me El Camino would be low volume vehicles at best. The goal would be to mass produce appliance versions of Alpha to drive down costs for the Alpha V8 sports coupe.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:19 PM

While all true, there have been some vehicles that were planned and expected to be niche, low volume vehicles that caught fire and sold like hot cakes, PT Cruiser is a good example. I feel like a 2 Door Nomad on Alpha has that potential. Alas, I have also been clamoring for a Small, RWD Coupe or Shooting Brake from Chevy for a long time too and my thoughts are skewed by my enthusiast point of view.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:26 PM

RX8 doors. Or Saturn Ion doors. Problem solved.

Quick Reply: GM Trademarks Nomad