Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM supports anti-Tesla bill in MI, Snyder signs into law

Old 10-21-2014, 02:45 PM

GM supports anti-Tesla bill in MI, Snyder signs into law

Michigan Governor Signs GM-Backed Anti-Tesla Bill Into Law - Road & Track

As a GM kinda guy... this stuff rubs me the wrong way. Why even "encourage" the Governor to sign it?

What is GM scared about? after all this is a small automaker. Instead of finding ways to put speed bumps on Tesla's way... why don't you use that same energy to change things around for the better.

I can't say that I will stop buying GM.. cause damn it I love Corvette's and Camaro's and the CTS family but if I could afford it a Tesla would be my daily driver.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:11 PM

Re: GM supports anti-Tesla bill in MI, Snyder signs into law

GM likely supports the bill because they have a business model built on the concept of dealerships, and if Tesla manages to erode that business model, then it's difficult for GM to predict future market trends, and the whole paradigm of how you market and sell cars changes. Makes business less predictable, and makes making a profit less predictable. It makes sense that the other manufacturers would back the laws as they stand.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:00 AM

GM fought the same law in TX, but who wants facts in their sensationalism.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by jcamere94z28
Michigan Governor Signs GM-Backed Anti-Tesla Bill Into Law - Road & Track

As a GM kinda guy... this stuff rubs me the wrong way. Why even "encourage" the Governor to sign it?

What is GM scared about? after all this is a small automaker. Instead of finding ways to put speed bumps on Tesla's way... why don't you use that same energy to change things around for the better.

I can't say that I will stop buying GM.. cause damn it I love Corvette's and Camaro's and the CTS family but if I could afford it a Tesla would be my daily driver.
Looks like GM doesn't like competition
Old 05-27-2015, 08:57 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Doesn't matter because it's only in effect in Michigan, which is fast becoming a ghost state thanks to GM et al.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
Doesn't matter because it's only in effect in Michigan, which is fast becoming a ghost state thanks to GM et al.
It's amazing they spent all that money lobbying to keep Tesla out... but they don't lobby to get car insurance cheaper in this state which is a big reason why people don't buy new cars in Michigan.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by AnthonyHSV
Looks like GM doesn't like competition
This isn't about "competition"... it's about keeping their franchised dealers happy.

Not sure why everyone is supportive of a dealer franchise system that encourages dealers to maximize their efforts to screw buyers and make the buying experience as painful and unpleasant as possible. I'm losing my "company" car with my retirement, and I hate the thought of even walking onto a dealer lot to look at the cars I want to choose from.

Last car I bought, for my wife, I used a broker, to avoid all the hassle. Paid the broker a nominal fee to do the dirty work. But even then, signing off on the paperwork with the dealer involved multiple individuals trying to maximize their profit with upsells on total crap.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:17 PM

Yup dealer system is 100 years out of date and it's showing. But it seems none of the big automakers are even remotely interested in creating another way. Which is there loss, I have no statistical evidence, but I positive there is a good market of buyers who would like to be in and out in 15-30min. Buy Vehicle, Register, Insurance, and be on there merry way. Not 8 hrs of haggling, additional warranties, additional coverages, pulling hair, paint protection, tire protection, ect.

Last edited by King Moose SS; 06-05-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
Yup dealer system is 100 years out of date and it's showing. But it seems none of the big automakers are even remotely interested in creating another way. Which is there loss, I have no statistical evidence, but I positive there is a good market of buyers who would like to be in and out in 15-30min. Buy Vehicle, Register, Insurance, and be on there merry way. Not 8 hrs of haggling, additional warranties, additional coverages, pulling hair, paint protection, tire protection, ect.
Ford and GM have both tried to get around dealers:

Ford and GM tried ditching dealers | TeslaMondo

Forcing Tesla to go through the same fiery hopes they do is just keeping the playing field level.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by mdenz3

Forcing Tesla to go through the same fiery hopes they do is just keeping the playing field level.
Interesting read. Wish both Ford and GM would have done more. But alas they always seem to buckle in these situations.

Musk would kill Tesla before ever going the dealer route. He knows the damage the dealer system is doing to the current car buying process.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by mdenz3

I will enjoy watching this company fold after listening to musk talk about Nikola. He said Edison was someone to look up to but Tesla wasn't. What a POS. So Tesla wanted to bring US Free, clean energy, but was destroyed by our **** government, Morgan and Edison. So they could string copper lines across the globe and sell US energy...I hope this POS loses his shirt. That he used Tesla's name to do the same, is a disgusting tragedy...He needs to go back to whatever country he came from because we don't need more swamp creatures he we have enough...
Old 08-20-2018, 12:45 PM

They screwed US ALL the moment they put a computer into our cars...but even b4 mandating side marker lights. The Fed has no business in the car business, we have enough sheisters selling cars @ stealerships around the country, we sure as hell don't need them dictating what kind of cars we can build, buy and own. They should be mandating federal ***er ID laws, and get hell out of our cars...

Last edited by SCNGENNFTHGEN; 08-20-2018 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Typo