Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM has released pics of the 2003 Grand Am and Cavalier.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 09:48 PM

Post GM has released pics of the 2003 Grand Am and Cavalier.

The Grand Am they didn't do alot too...but the Cavalier they did a totally new exterior that is HORIBLE IMO. Click here for pics and info

------------------
Branden-Founder www.GMInsidenews.com
The #1 GM News Site on the Net!
1995 Firebird A4
White with red leather
1979 Firebird Formula SOLD!!! 8/2001
Visit my homepage!
Old 07-07-2002, 10:09 PM

the cavalier looks like its sad. and i don't just mean its a poor looking car, it looks as if it's down and out and ready for the worst. and what's up with the continueing 2 spoke steering wheel theme for chevy and saturn? ugh. this thing is just sad and ugly.

[This message has been edited by morb|d (edited July 07, 2002).]
Old 07-07-2002, 11:28 PM

Both were due for refreshening and neither went out a limb too much. The Cavalier does have some oddities, such as the trunk not being flush with the rear of the car at the bumpers. Grand Am, I can hear it already: "It looks more aggressive than the GTO!"
Old 07-08-2002, 09:55 AM

The cavalier looks awful. I can't believe Lutz let that re-fresh go through. The Grand Am is very clean looking, actually looks a lot more like an Alero, which I'm sure is not by accident since GM is surely hoping to attract what would be potential Alero buyers to the Grand Am after Olds kicks the bucket.

------------------
Owner, Nashville Speed & Performance

1996 Trans Am WS6
Old 07-08-2002, 10:44 AM

Cool

On Cavalier, that fake plastic painted silver chevrolet logo on the rear surely complements the car....

Old 07-08-2002, 10:57 AM

WTF did GM do to it's Cavalier, at least the present day one looked honest... sheesh it looks like a small baby and that interior is ugly.. the steering wheel need to be thrown out of the car.. YUCK>...... that is nasty... the Sunfire looks better than the cavalier... seriously how could anyone with eyes allow that ugly pos to come and see light of day..... dammit heads need to roll...

The grand am looks good, they need to pull out the backup lights from the bumoer thougha and put them above the bumper, maybe near the plates or something and update the bumper to be more smooth like a TL from Acura... nothing drastic just smooth... to accent the whole feel of the car... TED can you do something on that...
Old 07-08-2002, 12:43 PM

How would the hood scoops on the GA look on the GTO, or something like that? IMHO I think it would be a big improvment.

------------------
-1998 Z28 M6, Onyx, Borla, FRA, direct flow lid, TBB, K&N
-1999 SS Build #2205, M6, Met Navy Blue, t-tops, TBB, CAGS, K&N
Old 07-08-2002, 12:49 PM

I think we'll see SLP get into the GTO biz and offer a dealer orderable (a la the SS camaro) package of options including a Ram Air hood. Might they call it the Judge?

SLP has such a huge hole in revenues from the loss of the F-body I know they have to be scrambling to make up for it. They'll never sell enough parts to do so, so they have to come up with some new OEM packages.

------------------
Owner, Nashville Speed & Performance

1996 Trans Am WS6
Old 07-08-2002, 01:37 PM

I'm sorry, the new GA just begs the obvious question:
Why hood scoops on a FWD V6 sedan and none on a RWD V8 GTO?

And Cavalier...looks a lot like the current one, except the tail is hideous and that steering wheel is aimed directly at one market. Ricers.

------------------
Mark

94 Z28, Red, A4, 3:23
Lone Mods--LPE CAI, !Lapeer Dragway.
(Hey, I'm a college boy I can't afford gobs of bolt-ons!)

Best time: 14.658 @ 95.1
with SES light on and Driver off! (First and only time at track)

The F-body will NEVER die.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:47 PM

Fromt he sides and rear, that new cavalier 2-door looks almost IDENTICAL to the Saturn SC1 / SC2 coupes that debuted in 1991, which were ugly and counter-intuitively designed to begin with, 11 years ago! *PUKE* .. from the front it looks like it's sad about having looked in the mirror and cracked it.

The 4-door looks like Saturn's 1991 sedans too (SL1 / SL2)

I like that Grand Am. Looks really very close to the current one.. is the 2003 a new generation? doesn't look like it to me.. The hood scoops would look great on a GTO. I'll add them to my existing concept and post pics soon hopefully.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:23 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kizz:

I like that Grand Am. Looks really very close to the current one.. is the 2003 a new generation? doesn't look like it to me.. The hood scoops would look great on a GTO. I'll add them to my existing concept and post pics soon hopefully.
</font>
That is just the "SE" Grand Am, the GT will still look the same. 2005 is when the all new Grand Am comes out. they had sketches of it in the apr or May Motortrend. I think the 2003 Grand Am SE looks better.

The back of the 2003 Caviler looks Great. I love that silver bar across the back. I don't know about the front, I will have to see how it looks in person. When are they going to come out with a 200+ HP S/C Caviler????? Chevy is getting crushed in the FWD 4 banger performance market.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:02 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z28x:
That is just the "SE" Grand Am, the GT will still look the same. 2005 is when the all new Grand Am comes out. they had sketches of it in the apr or May Motortrend. I think the 2003 Grand Am SE looks better.

The back of the 2003 Caviler looks Great. I love that silver bar across the back. I don't know about the front, I will have to see how it looks in person. When are they going to come out with a 200+ HP S/C Caviler????? Chevy is getting crushed in the FWD 4 banger performance market.
</font>
I have seen no pictures of the 05 Grand AM yet. I am expecting them soon though, since it's sister car the 05 Malibu will debut in Detroit.

------------------
Branden-Founder www.GMInsidenews.com
The #1 GM News Site on the Net!
1995 Firebird A4
White with red leather
1979 Firebird Formula SOLD!!! 8/2001
Visit my homepage!
Old 07-08-2002, 08:21 PM

I can see how the Cavalier looks more "grown up" than the current one, and the taillight bar is indeed kinda unique and nice, but the rest of it is frighteningly similar to the Saturns I mentioned. 1991 SC1/SC2 for the 2-door Cavalier, 1991 SL1/SL2 for the 4-door. Just not a whole lot of new thinking at all going on. I'd never own one myself, but I think they'll be pretty successful regardless, compared to the current one which is the same way.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:50 PM

I hate to say it, but the Grand Am looks naked without the clading Just looks too plain now...
Old 07-09-2002, 05:27 PM

IMO i think the new cavalier looks better then the one we have now, looks more modern, i mean they had to do somthing that style was getting too old and dull. The only thing I really do not like is that steering wheel other then that to me the car looks fine. On the Grand AM I think it looks great. I've always liked the styling of al the pontiacs except the Aztek! I think it looks alot better without the cladding, alot cleaner. The hood scoops look mean too, would be more desirable on the GTO but hey I wont be suprised to see SLP do some mods on the GTO witht that hood scoop, can we say Judge?? But I think I can finally start to see the Lutz change here in the styling department getting rid of the old dull image of some of the cars we have now like the cavalier we have now and the malibu. Can't wait to see what they did with the new malibu too

------------------
1988 Camaro IROCZ "MIDNIGHT CRUIZERS"
305 ci Tuned Port 700R4
3"Exhaust/Flowmaster 80 series muffler/Dynomax high flow cat/CutOut
hypertech chip/k&n filers, cut MAF screen gutted air box
"Theres no replacement for displacement"
My Iroc web page....
www.geocities.com/bobfitz82/index.html