Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Ford drops Boss 302 from 2014 lineup

Old 11-09-2012, 12:52 PM

Ford drops Boss 302 from 2014 lineup

Boss 302 package for the Ford Mustang will not be on the options list for the 2014 model, according to the order guide sent to Ford dealers.
The 2014 Ford Mustang will be the last of the fifth generation of the car. A redesign for the 2015 model is expected to arrive in early 2014, using a new rear-drive platform that includes an independent rear suspension and a turbocharged four-cylinder engine option.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:18 PM

Re: Ford drops Boss 302 from 2014 lineup

Just like the original Boss, it was a very limited run from the beginning. Ford knew they would be axing it quickly, so no surprise here.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:05 AM

Yep... it was to have a short run, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Good news is that there is word of another limited edition Mustang that could make a return before the end of the current Mustang's run.

If green lighted, you should hear about it shortly.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:16 AM

Mach 1 comes to mind as they already had a Bullitt with this body style.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:55 PM

The once thing about a model like the BOSS 302 is that it's somewhat tied to the engine. GT, Cobra, Z28, Mach 1 and SS are not really engine specific. It would have been hard to sell a BOSS 281.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Yep... it was to have a short run, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Good news is that there is word of another limited edition Mustang that could make a return before the end of the current Mustang's run.

If green lighted, you should hear about it shortly.
PLEASE in the the name of all this is holy no more social media naming contests!

Anyways hope to hear more about this?
Old 11-14-2012, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by bossco
PLEASE in the the name of all this is holy no more social media naming contests!

Anyways hope to hear more about this?
No social media contests on this one. It's going to be a familiar name.

It's not as big a deal as the Boss is, it's more spare parts than anything else. I'm expecting a decision in time for the LA show. But if you don't hear about it by Chicago, then IMHO, it's not going to happen.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:38 PM

How about "My Little Pony."
Old 11-14-2012, 04:24 PM

Why not another "legend" with a 5.0 Powerplant? I think it will be...

Cobra II!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
No social media contests on this one. It's going to be a familiar name.

It's not as big a deal as the Boss is, it's more spare parts than anything else. I'm expecting a decision in time for the LA show. But if you don't hear about it by Chicago, then IMHO, it's not going to happen.
The last gen Mach was essentially a parts bin car that was very well recieved, hopefully your comments bear fruit.

Sigh... just wish I was in the market for another Mustang in 2014 if this SE is a good one, the GT500 is close to being paid off and its definetly the one where your gonna have to pry my cold dead hands off of the steering wheel to get it (yeah its a first gen car but I love this thing).

I really suspect my next Mustang will be a coupla years into the next gen car, provided Mustang doesn't mutate to much (hybrid all wheel drive turbocharged I4 with drive by wire steering and a CVT for example)
Old 12-23-2012, 09:24 PM

I am less than excited about an IRS
Old 12-23-2012, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by beefcake
I am less than excited about an IRS
As long as its good I can't complain to much, I don't have a problem with SRA (in fact I think its part of the Mustang's charm) and I like how the SRA added to the Mustang's ruggedness and ease of maintenance.

But with so many people suffer irreparable spinal damage and losing control on anything but ultra glass smooth roads what can you do

Ban the Ford Mustang

Sigh... perhaps if Ford would have installed an IRS decades ago, the issue might have been less dire

Last edited by bossco; 12-23-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
Why not another "legend" with a 5.0 Powerplant? I think it will be...

Cobra II!

Heh, that reminds me of a guy with a Porsche Cayman, every time he pulls up at work he's wearing a set of racing gloves, not just the ones that cover his hands but full of gauntlets that cover his forearms as well.

I can't decide if he just likes wearing them or he's trying to break them in?
Old 12-24-2012, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by bossco
As long as its good I can't complain to much, I don't have a problem with SRA (in fact I think its part of the Mustang's charm) and I like how the SRA added to the Mustang's ruggedness and ease of maintenance.

But with so many people suffer irreparable spinal damage and losing control on anything but ultra glass smooth roads what can you do

Ban the Ford Mustang

Sigh... perhaps if Ford would have installed an IRS decades ago, the issue might have been less dire

I think reviewers have really "bandwagoned" the SRA issue. I can't recall there being so much hub bub about the IRS until Jeremy Clarkston brought it up in Top Gear way back. After that, it set fire and now every reviewer picks at it like it's the only thing the Mustang is made out of.

While I do like the IRS system, and all the advantages, there are costs with it as well. One of the reason I don't like when European reviewers do American cars is because they can't understand them, they do not have the sort of things we have in the U.S. and can't comprehend why SRA would be beneficial because IRS would be better in their area of the world.

i.e
Our idea of driving fun is different than most Europeans. Generally American's race between the lights. If I were to guess, probably 90% of Mustang owners who race go to the drag strip and not a road course. SRA for the most part is a great match for drag racing.

Our roads are straight as an arrow, European roads are NOT. If anyone has flown over the U.S you can clearly see our road system is as square as can be. Most U.S intersections are 4 ways intersections because of that. European roads aren't. 7 different roads will merge into one and due to that many European intersections are roundabouts. Also while in the U.S we just blow up any land in the way of our roads to insure it's straight, most European roads were actually built around the land and thus are very curvy. IRS would make a larger difference on their roads versus ours.

Basically what I'm getting to is that European tastes are not equal to American tastes. The reason Ford has gone with the SRA so long is because for 99% of the target Mustang demographic it works splendid. It keeps the cost low, works great for drag racing, works great on American roads, and is very simple and low maintenance. However the 1% () have really begun to push to for the IRS, and it looks like Ford has folded. While I'm not disappointed in the decision, I just think that Ford (and any motor company) needs to be careful because a lot of those squeaky complainers aren't the target demographic of certain cars, and while there complaints are valid, if they are not a potential customer, why tend to their wants as they still won't buy the vehicle.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:11 AM

Solid rear axle was lampooned before Top Gear reviewed the last gen Mustang. It has been a talking point since even the late 90's from the Import crowd. The same people who generally also tried to make fun of pushrods while extolling the merits of overhead cam.

SRA is quite capable in the turns, contrary to what most people report. At least when the surface is smooth because there you have decent camber control, and if you have a Watts link or something of that nature you don't end up with different roll centers turning left or right. The issue is a turn with bumps, more specifically irregularities where the left and right wheels are expected to go in different directions. That's when the fact that the sides are linked starts to become an issue.

The best is somewhere in the middle. Hence practically all IRS cars run a sway bar, which reduces the independence of each side from one another.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford drops Boss 302 from 2014 lineup