Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Faith (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 02:12 PM

Post Faith (long)

Well this is a dark time, the end of production i here for our beloved f-bodies. However, I do have faith in GM to bring them back, so many other cars have had the prospect of distinction only to be brought back to outstanding sales. The Mustang faced death in the late 80's, only to be totally designed for its 30th anniversary, now it sells extremely well and is only getting stronger with the Mach 1 and new Cobra. The Corvette almost diminished, only to have the new C5 come out and sales climbed once again. The only difference we have with the F-bodies is the politics involved, GM couldn't just continue production because of the Canadian workers. Yes sales are down, but with the introduction of a new Supra, RX-8, 350Z, and Mustang GM couldn't live without an affordable muscle car. 100,000's of people petitioned Ford to keep the stang in 1989, and I believe we have just as strong of a following. With the looks of the C6, the vette will only be more expensive. GM has already said it is looking for a "high performance future", a great start will be a new F-body. I know GM hasn't been the brightest company lately, (SSR, Aztec, ect.) but if anyone could pull this off it is GM. I cannot settle for anything less than a Camaro, sure the new Supra and 350Z are nice, but its not my American hero. I will wait for a 5th Gen, until then I'll be looking for a LT-1 Z28. I will still wave the flag of Chevy and GM at every cruise i go to, even though I only have a 3.8. I'd rather have a second rate camaro over a first rate toyota anyday. I hope people like Bob Lutz will raise the Phoenix by its 40th anniversary. What do you think?

------------------
1996 Camaro RS
Black M5 T-Top
Old 08-19-2002, 01:52 PM

GM & Ford are 2 very different companies, both with good points & bad.

While it seems that Ford makes some really bonehead decisions where it comes to pinching pennies (long list of recalls primarily because of items a few more cents or a couple more dollars per car would have prevented), GM seems to save it's money by it's tendancy not producing anything that doesn't sell in massive quanities.

On the other hand, Ford seems to listen to and are more sensitive to what their customers want better than GM.