Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

G6 GTP coupe vs Mustang GT

Old 12-09-2005, 08:44 PM

G6 GTP coupe vs Mustang GT

I was reading MT's little write up of the G6 GTP coupe the other day.

At the end MT asks the question..... for the same price, why wouldn't you buy a Mustang GT?

That's a good question. Why wouldn't you just buy a Mustang GT?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:09 PM

Re: G6 GTP coupe vs Mustang GT

They could say that about any sports coupe. Would they make the same comment about an Accord V6?

A Mustang GT and a G6/Accord/xxx have slightly different characters. Some might even prefer the styling of a G6 or Accord or whatever.

Not to mention, the G6 has a real backseat, advantages in the snow, better fuel economy, etc.

BTW, other than the horribly cramped feeling interior, I'd rather drive a Mustang GT myself.

But not everyone would.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:25 PM

"Because I live in the north and will die a horrible death if I get a RWD car."
Old 12-09-2005, 09:26 PM

Are you kidding me? A retro-styled muscle car vs. an aerodynamic, modern-styled coupe. If all you look at is price, sure, they're in the same market. Take all other things into account and you have totally different cars. Same reason you don't compare a PT Cruiser and a Mini.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I was reading MT's little write up of the G6 GTP coupe the other day.

At the end MT asks the question..... for the same price, why wouldn't you buy a Mustang GT?

Well, it does seem like more people are buying the Mustang. I would bet that Mustang outsells g6, and that the Mustang GT outsells the G6 GTP.

unvc92camarors, it said that people who considered buying the sn95 mustangs, also considered the previous Grand Am...more so than camaro even as a vehicle to crossshop. I don't know how valid this claim was, nor do i have any numbers, but that's what i've heard on here. *Shrug* so as different as the cars are, maybe consumers look at the two in a different light than we do. Most of us here wouldn't even dare crossshop the two.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:16 PM

I read the article and it was prety positive. Interesting to note that the G6 GTP got faster times then a CTS 3.6L 6 speed.

Stupid comment int he end about the Mustang. Well maybe some one doesn't want a V8 and thinks they are ugly! No logic at all. Don't buy a Z06...get three Mustangs!!
Old 12-10-2005, 01:03 AM

Well if you don't need a V8, why wouldn't you opt for a G6?

There's lots of Acuras around with no V8 ... why wouldn't you opt for an Acura?
Old 12-10-2005, 01:29 AM

Totally different cars, I have no idea why they would try to compare the 2.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:08 AM

Anyone happen to know what the G6's times were? That issue still hasn't gotten to Germany yet .
Old 12-10-2005, 08:05 AM

What a bunch of idiots to try and compare a G6 to a GTP.

It's like a less extreme version of:
Well... this International brand schoolbus is nice and all, but it's so much slower and nosier than something like a C6 Corvette, which coincidently just happens to be about the same price! Let's get the vette! Who cares if we'd only be able to carry one student at a time!
Old 12-10-2005, 09:26 AM

They dont ask that question after the review of Toyota Solara or a Honda Accord coupe . Subsitute any of those 2 models with the Mustang GT , and then they woulda had a legit question .

One example of why . My my mom drove a Camaro as long as I can remember growing up . The last new one she got was a 93 Z28 . Had it till 2000 , and while she loved the car , the V8 and all . She simply said she has outgrown this type of car . She seriously cried when she sold it . She test drove a LS1 Z28 , and fell in love with and bought a 2000 Grand Am GT . A GTP G6 is most likely what shell trade her GT for .

Theres more people in this world that dont want a RWD , V8 powered car than do when talking about cars like the G6 .
Old 12-10-2005, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by MagnaPilot
Anyone happen to know what the G6's times were? That issue still hasn't gotten to Germany yet .
6.2 to 60mph and 14.4 in the 1/4 mile. They said it was..."not the stuff of legends". Well duh! Its not the stuff of Shelby Cobras ect.

But its an excellent time for the class its in and the price of the car. Motor Trend really sucks---the writting is childish. They try to be fancy with photos but it usually does not work.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:15 AM

Many buyers of the old Mustang did cross shop with the old Grand Am. But I don't see that happening with the new Mustang and G6.

Both cars have put some serious distance between them. The G6 coupe now is something that would be considered by a person cross shopping a coupe from an import brand. Mustang has move farther down the muscle car road.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Personally, I would get the Mustang.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:11 PM

Personally, I would get the G6 GTP. A real interior, superior looks IMO, plus yeah...I like the FWD aspect for a daily driver.

Sue me.

I saw the article too, and was impressed with the times put up. 6.2 seconds 0-60 is nearly on top of a Charger R/T at 5.9...not bad! Yeah, I sell Pontiacs...so what? I love the way the G6 looks, and have really enjoyed driving them too since the GTP 6 speed came out. If I needed a car right now, it'd be at or near the top of my list...as would a GXP or GT GP. Thankfully, I don't need a car right now, and it appears I might actually like what I'll see in January

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: G6 GTP coupe vs Mustang GT