Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Does anyone have any news on the next gen GM trucks?

Old 02-16-2012, 10:35 AM

Does anyone have any news on the next gen GM trucks?

I thought we're supposed to be getting a new 2013 model truck and so far I haven't seen squat for details, leaks or anything on them???

The closest I've seen is this article which I don't trust very much... Future Truck: 2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - PickupTrucks.com News

and this one
Future Truck: 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 - PickupTrucks.com News

So what gives???
Old 02-16-2012, 12:17 PM

Re: Does anyone have any news on the next gen GM trucks?

There were some cammo'd spy spots running around a few months ago of a Silverado/Sierra...

Last I heard, they are due out in late calander year 2013 as a 2014 model.

The trucks will preceed the SUV's to dealerships this time around.

Also, it's been pretty much conceeded that there will not be a next gen Avalanche.

EDIT: Link to spy photo stuff:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...os-future-cars
Old 02-16-2012, 01:44 PM

Like Darth said, it will be a 2014 model that comes out in 2013. It will be lighter, more powerful, and more fuel efficient than the current trucks.

Rumor is the V6 will be all new and based on the Gen V V8 and not a DOHC 3.6L or the prehistoric 4.3L

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
Also, it's been pretty much conceeded that there will not be a next gen Avalanche.
I'll be sad to see it go too. One thing people should remember though is that the Avalanche came out back when there was no crew cab Silverado.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:10 AM

I hope they finally put that light duty diesel out that they developed before bankruptcy. I love my Silverado but I am sick of averaging 15 mpg.

-Geoff
Old 02-17-2012, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
I hope they finally put that light duty diesel out that they developed before bankruptcy. I love my Silverado but I am sick of averaging 15 mpg.

-Geoff

My guess is that they will address the MPG issue with weight loss and making a twin turbo V6 available, similar to what Ford did with the EcoBoost...

That's just a personal guess though.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:50 PM

Thanks for posting-I was curious as well.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
My guess is that they will address the MPG issue with weight loss and making a twin turbo V6 available, similar to what Ford did with the EcoBoost...

That's just a personal guess though.
I don't think they will go the twin turbo DOHC V6 route. That is too expensive, plus GM has already said their goal was to do a DI V8 that can match Fords Ecoboost V6. The current 5.3L is only 1mpg behind the Ecoboost V6 as it is.

The cheapest and most fuel efficient engine is probably going to be a 4.0L or larger pushrod DI V6.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
I'll be sad to see it go too. One thing people should remember though is that the Avalanche came out back when there was no crew cab Silverado.
GM has been making crew cab trucks since 1973, and before that conversion companies made them. Did you mean no 1/2 ton crew cabs?

I will also miss the Avalanche. I thought the first gens were incredibly ugly, but whenever I see a 2007+ one I want to trade my truck in for one...

Rumor is the V6 will be all new and based on the Gen V V8 and not a DOHC 3.6L or the prehistoric 4.3L
Prehistoric is right.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
GM has been making crew cab trucks since 1973, and before that conversion companies made them. Did you mean no 1/2 ton crew cabs?

I will also miss the Avalanche. I thought the first gens were incredibly ugly, but whenever I see a 2007+ one I want to trade my truck in for one...
Yes, I was referring to the 1500, but I guess more specifically the 1500 with the 5.5' bed that gave everyone a crew cab with the overall length of an extended cab truck.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:58 AM

Yes, I was referring to the 1500, but I guess more specifically the 1500 with the 5.5' bed that gave everyone a crew cab with the overall length of an extended cab truck.
The Avalanche is shorter yet than the 1500 crew. Avalanche is basically a Suburban with the top cut off. It is shorter overall than an extended cab / 6'6" box or crew cab / 5'9" box.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:34 AM

I don't think they will go the twin turbo DOHC V6 route. That is too expensive, plus GM has already said their goal was to do a DI V8 that can match Fords Ecoboost V6. The current 5.3L is only 1mpg behind the Ecoboost V6 as it is.

The cheapest and most fuel efficient engine is probably going to be a 4.0L or larger pushrod DI V6.
My concern there is not so much mileage, that they can make up. it's the torque curve of the ecoboost that's impressive! When it comes to towing that is gonna make all the difference. Even when you're not towing, the torque in the ecoboost gives you that seat of the pants feel we all love. Kinda makes you forget you're driving a truck for a moment.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
The Avalanche is shorter yet than the 1500 crew. Avalanche is basically a Suburban with the top cut off. It is shorter overall than an extended cab / 6'6" box or crew cab / 5'9" box.

Yes, the Av is a full 9 inches shorter than a Silverado crew cab.

That's actually a pretty big deal to me.

Of course, I suppose that doesnt mean that would definately transfer over to a new generation in comparison, but you would think it'd be similar.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:08 AM

Plus GM seems to be going more the light hybrid route with eAssist on larger engines. I suppose a 5.3L V8 with eAssist wouldn't be out of the question and probably perform better and be more efficient than the Ecoboost V6.

For me I'd much rather have an electric "helper" motor than a turbo requiring me to run premium fuel. However I'd actually prefer a light (smaller) turbo diesel as an option.

While I love the idea of the Avalanche, I just couldn't pull the trigger as I don't need a truck that often. My Tahoe is still an awesome utility vehicle and push come to shove, I can (and have) carry 9 adults if I need to. I can also pull out the rear seats (they are rarely in anyway) and fold the middle seats and carry a lot of stuff. I've even hauled sacks of concrete and lumber in it. I still want to get a truck for the times I need a real truck, but lately I've been thinking a used Suburban might be more practical. (They seem to be cheaper than similar Tahoes and Silverados in my area.)

That's said, I have access to my Dad's F150 XLT for the times I really need a truck.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk

-Geoff
GM seems just about ready to announce they will bring the 4.5 to market. It was officially "shelved", but the engine was clearly ready for production.

GM wanted to hold off on the engine until it saw what was trend in truck and SUV sales, but the bigger reason for it being shelved seems to be nothing more than sending limited resources (cash) where it's going to reap the most benefits. For example, if GM gets more credits putting e-assist on trucks and it costs pretty much the same per vehicle (with perhaps less investment), than e-assist wins for now even if there's less takers.

GM is also hellbent on getting it's stock prices up. The Feds never had a desire to own a car company and the goal from the Ed Whitacre days was always to turn things around ASAP so the Treasury can sellout.

For those who may have forgotten, GM has an innovative (and somewhat odd) 4.6 V8 turbodiesel that puts out just over 300hp, but has over 500 lbs/ft of torque! It's claim to fame (besides astronomical torque numbers for it's size) was that it's a super clean running diesel (meets LEV2 standards) and fits in the same space as a small block V8 LS series engine. The engine is done, and GM got as far as budgeting money to convert the Towanda (sp?) plant to assemble them, but suddenly reversed itself in late 89 and put the whole project on the backburner.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
GM seems just about ready to announce they will bring the 4.5 to market. It was officially "shelved", but the engine was clearly ready for production.

GM wanted to hold off on the engine until it saw what was trend in truck and SUV sales, but the bigger reason for it being shelved seems to be nothing more than sending limited resources (cash) where it's going to reap the most benefits. For example, if GM gets more credits putting e-assist on trucks and it costs pretty much the same per vehicle (with perhaps less investment), than e-assist wins for now even if there's less takers.

GM is also hellbent on getting it's stock prices up. The Feds never had a desire to own a car company and the goal from the Ed Whitacre days was always to turn things around ASAP so the Treasury can sellout.

For those who may have forgotten, GM has an innovative (and somewhat odd) 4.6 V8 turbodiesel that puts out just over 300hp, but has over 500 lbs/ft of torque! It's claim to fame (besides astronomical torque numbers for it's size) was that it's a super clean running diesel (meets LEV2 standards) and fits in the same space as a small block V8 LS series engine. The engine is done, and GM got as far as budgeting money to convert the Towanda (sp?) plant to assemble them, but suddenly reversed itself in late 89 and put the whole project on the backburner.
If the cost to get into that is somewhat reasonable I can see it taking off like crazy! I'd own one for sure, wouldn't think twice about it... heck, I'd be at the GMC dealer today

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does anyone have any news on the next gen GM trucks?