Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Cruze Station Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:51 PM

Cruze Station Wagon

I don't know much about this. Supposed to be in the European markets this summer. It's 184in long, has 17.6 cu ft of cargo space with the seats up, and 52 cu ft with the seats folded. Engines are 1.6, 1.8, and 1.4T gas and 1.7 and 2.0 diesel.

They have no plans to bring it to the US, but continually evaluate the market... Wagons actually add a bit of practicality imo. It's too bad they died off in the States.

World premiere for Chevrolet Cruze station wagon

%u2022 Station wagon is the third variant of world's favorite Chevrolet
%u2022 New engine line-up includes sporty turbo and frugal diesel
%u2022 Refined design and new technologies
%u2022 MyLink: cutting edge smartphone infotainment system

The Chevrolet Cruze station wagon is all set for its global premiere at the 82nd International Geneva Motor Show early next month. The station wagon, the latest bodystyle of Chevrolet's most popular nameplate, complements the sedan and hatchback versions, which together have combined sales in excess of one million vehicles globally since the carline was launched in 2009.

"The Cruze station wagon caters to an important market segment. It ticks all the boxes for European drivers in terms of distinctive design, dynamic driving, space and economy," said Chevrolet Europe President and Managing Director Susan Docherty.

The new station wagon features generous storage space and a choice of powerful and efficient engines as well as the state-of-the-art Chevrolet MyLink onboard infotainment system.

The new and improved engines will be available on the entire Cruze line-up starting summer 2012. In addition to the current 1.6L and 1.8L gasoline engines, a new 1.4L turbo gasoline, a new 1.7L diesel and an improved 2.0L diesel engine complete the powertrain offer.

The 1.4L gasoline, 1.7L diesel and 2.0L diesel engines come with start-stop technology as standard. All engines are Euro 5-compliant.

The station wagon, at 4,675 mm, is slightly longer than the hatchback (4,510 mm) and sedan (4,597 mm) models. Load space ranges from 500 liters up to the window line in the rear to nearly 1,500 liters up to the roof top with the rear seats folded down.

Refined design and new technologies

The station wagon is immediately recognizable as a new variant of the best-selling Chevrolet Cruze. The exterior design features a tapering single arch roofline and comes with roof racks as standard, providing convenience while maintaining a poised and sporty look.

A number of exterior and interior styling changes are being introduced in 2012 for all Cruze models. These include a remodeled front fascia, modified head-lamp interiors and fog lamps, and new wheel styles on the exterior and refinements to the center console and a greater choice of seat finishes for the interior.

New Cruzes are equipped with keyless entry, allowing access the vehicle with the key safely tucked away in a bag or pocket. Additionally, the system allows the engine to be turned on or off by pressing a button without the need to insert the key into the ignition.

A brand-new Chevrolet infotainment system, called MyLink, is being introduced in higher trim levels in the Cruze line-up and in the Chevrolet Aveo as of summer 2012. It brings owners' smartphone capabilities into the vehicle.

MyLink aggregates content from the smartphone onto the seven-inch diagonal high-resolution full-color touch-screen display. Once the smartphone is connected, personal playlists, photo galleries, phone books, videos and other stored media and data, such as a special navigation app, can be accessed though the infotainment system touch-screen.

Last edited by HAZ-Matt; 02-09-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:57 PM

Re: Cruze Station Wagon

That with a diesel would be a killer Daily for most people.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:30 PM

I want it. I love station wagons and I would almost certainly buy one of these if they sold them here. I assume Chevrolet views this as unnecessary in the U.S. with the Equinox on the market, but I'd love to have a Cruze wagon with either a diesel as Soul Strife said, or even the 1.4T and a nice sport suspension.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:26 PM

Although larger, the Jetta kind of has the granola-wagon market covered along with Subaru, although Subie doesn't offer a diesel. I think a diesel Cruze wagon would be a good market addition, but not earth-shattering.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:48 PM

Sedan (check), Wagon (check)... now where's the coupe?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:37 PM

I'm not a wagon fan, but I think this would be a better addition to the Cruze line up than the 5 door in the USA.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
Good question, you listening GM???
Old 02-09-2012, 10:20 PM

they should fix the tail lamp on the hatch before production
Old 02-10-2012, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
I'm not a wagon fan, but I think this would be a better addition to the Cruze line up than the 5 door in the USA.
Heck yes it would. Many hatches don't give you a ton of extra space, they simply take the trunk and rotate it up by 90 degrees. (That does allow for taller / bulkier items to be loaded though.)

Hatches also often look out of proportion to me, with front styling and overhangs identical to a sedan, but with the rear chopped off. They look like someone drove a sedan backwards into a brick wall.

A wagon actually extends the greenhouse over the trunk area, and typically looks more pleasing to the eye in the process. It would be very nice if they would bring this car over here.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
Hatches also often look out of proportion to me, with front styling and overhangs identical to a sedan, but with the rear chopped off. They look like someone drove a sedan backwards into a brick wall.

A wagon actually extends the greenhouse over the trunk area, and typically looks more pleasing to the eye in the process. It would be very nice if they would bring this car over here.
Yes this car is more aesthetically pleasing than the hatch:

Old 02-10-2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
The coupe?

Look no farther than the Chevrolet Tru 140S concept.

Unlike the 130R (which may perhaps be an early proposal for Camaro's replacement), the 140S is your intended Cruze coupe.

GM most certainly is planning a small FWD Delta based coupe, but they don't simply want a 2 door Cruise. They are aiming square at the heart of the import crowd on this one. While the 130R is a ways away from both production (and final design I suspect), word is the 130R can be done in 18 months on the existing Cruze assembly line.

My guess is that they'll make a decision on moving forward with it before this summer.

Last edited by guionM; 02-10-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by OutsiderIROC-Z
Good question, you listening GM???
I doubt it.

Car manufacturers that have crossovers in their showroom aren't very open to wagons because crossovers have higher profit margins.

Cadillac's CTS wagon saw the light of day only because Cadillac is working on expanding their European presence (where premium "station wagons" still sell well). An uplevel Magnum with a 300 interior and front end sold as the Chrysler 300 Touring in Europe and Australia

They also point to the "so called" failure of the Dodge Magnum, which in it's final year sold only a few models.

Thing is this... they completely ignore that the Magnum not only sold extremely well the 1st couple of years, not only did the Magnum exceed sales projections by a large margin, but the Magnum was sold almost exclusively to MEN, thereby shooting the stationwagon=women stereotype.

In a bit of irony, I'd put the odds of a Holden Commodore Wagon coming to the US as a Caprice wagon a bit higher than the Ute coming here as an El Camino.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
In a bit of irony, I'd put the odds of a Holden Commodore Wagon coming to the US as a Caprice wagon a bit higher than the Ute coming here as an El Camino.
Interesting.

My friends have a Subaru Outback (don't recall the year). Quite a practical car. Better mileage than an SUV. It's time for the wagons to return. Without the wood paneling of course.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by soul strife
That with a diesel would be a killer Daily for most people.
I'd take one if a diesel were available. Test drove the sedan and I liked it but thought it needed a little more cargo room. I'm in need of something that can actually be useful on trips to home depot.