Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Corvette Racing boss Doug Fehan confirms new 5.5L V8 for Sebring debut

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:55 PM

Corvette Racing boss Doug Fehan confirms new 5.5L V8 for Sebring debut

Back in August when General Motors introduced the all-new GT2 class Corvette C6.R, it ran downsized 6.0-liter version of the 7.0-liter V8 from the long-dominant GT1 car. At the launch, Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan told us the 6.0-liter was just an interim engine. With revised GT rules on tap for 2010, GM was already planning a brand-new engine for its race Vette.

Unlike the 6.0/7.0, which is a ground-up race engine that only shares basic architectural dimensions with the production small block, the 2010 C6.R's V8 is a new 5.5-liter unit that will indeed be derived from the production engine found in roadgoing Corvettes. In fact, the 5.5-liter race engine will be built at GM's Performance Build Center alongside ZR1 and Z06 V8s.

Fehan has confirmed that the 5.5 is running on the dyno and will make its race debut at the 12 Hours of Sebring in March. We don't have any additional details on the new engine yet, although we were told earlier that it is based on the next-generation production small-block, which we expect to see in the Corvette soon.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/02/c...8-for-sebring/
Old 01-03-2010, 08:15 PM

I can't wait to see details of this motor. The 5.5L displacement is C6R race only though.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I can't wait to see details of this motor. The 5.5L displacement is C6R race only though.
Sounds like this C5/6R engine is the closest related yet to a production V8. All the other used production displacements though. Any idea why this time they went with 5.5L instead of 5.3L or 6.2L?
Old 01-03-2010, 09:37 PM

Or 5.7...
Old 01-03-2010, 09:47 PM
West South Central Moderator

There is probably a displacement limit or some kind of fuel efficiency thing in the rules for this year.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:48 PM

I belive thats the displacement limit put on in GT2.
I also belive that the Rolex Grand Am glass was limited to 5.5 liters as well.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
There is probably a displacement limit or some kind of fuel efficiency thing in the rules for this year.
Originally Posted by Big Als Z
I belive thats the displacement limit put on in GT2.
I also belive that the Rolex Grand Am glass was limited to 5.5 liters as well.
X2!

Basically the same reasons the original Z/28 got a 5.0 liter displacement.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:37 AM

If the 5.5 shares the same bore 4.125 bore as the LS7 that monster will rev up high.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:30 PM

Sounds like the first application of the Gen V small block. Isn't this engine going to debut in the C7??
Old 01-04-2010, 02:52 PM

I think they limited the displacement to try and hinder American performance. Little do they know, it's not going to work.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:21 PM

Have a winky at this post, from GMI...

It is not the displacement that is the news here but the new block being derived from a production block. The GenV block is the news, and the significant improvement is the raised camshaft. Raising the camshaft shortens and stiffens the pushrods and reduces the weight of the valvetrain. All of which will have a very positive impact on a race motor, much the same way the R07 nascar motor improved on the prior NASCAR motor. For a street motor this improvement is marginal in impact due to the practial rpm limits, the LS7 redlines at 7100 while the R07 turns up to 9500 rpm. The second benefit of a raised camshaft motor is the increased angle that the pushrods enters the head relative to the V angle. This allows the the pushrods to be placed out of the intake port path easily, making for straighter, larger intake ports, again look at the R07 intake port design. Additionally it leaves more room to place the SIDI injector. The Wards article on a SIDI LS engine stated that the engine had revised porting compared to a current GenIV LS head. The raised cam block will be compatiable with the cam phaser technology. The reason it is not currently used on performance versions of the LS engine series is because it has about 50 degrees of adjustment and that large spread combined with a high lift /long duration cam would lead to the real possibility of valves contacting pistions or exceedingly deep valve relief cuts which tend to weaken pistons and create hot spots in the piston face. The GenV block will mean, better breating heads, SIDI, increased compression, greater power density per litre, greater fuel economy, and reduced emissions. In all likely hood cam phasers will see increased fitment over the LS engine line due to the emission benefits that they have. There are ways to limit the range of phasing down to 20/25 degrees so that they will work with a "performance" cam. Were GM to utilize concentric cam technology it could independently vary the timing on both the intake and exhaust lobes of the cam to maximise the benefits of VVT.

As an aside the raised cam block will make the utilization ot the previously designed and as to now unuesd three valve head design much easier. Simply twisting the valve layout 12/15 degrees lets gm use a single conventional rocker arm to control the exhaust valve. Eliminating the crossover pushrod and the second rockerarm, making the three valve head simpler and less expensive. Think of that advantages of a compact, multivalve, VVT, SIDI, AFM, pushrod V8 compared to the "modern" DOHC engines we see today in terms of cost and packaging.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/1937897-post92.html
Old 01-04-2010, 05:40 PM

That some great info SSbaby. GM keeps marching on with there V8's. And to think everyone is afraid of the big bad new Ford
Old 01-04-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
Have a winky at this post, from GMI...
I love it. The next time I buy a new car, it will be a packing a GENV engine.

Correction, I will most likely not buy one new... but I'd love to mod the hell out of a GENV.

Last edited by bkpliskin; 01-04-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:42 PM

Hmmm... never thought that raising the cam and altering the pushrod angle would allow better intake port desing on the heads. I know shorter stiffer pushrods are a plus when controlling valvetrain motion and raising the cam allows either a short deck height or more room in the crank case for a bigger throw, but as you raise the cam and pushrod angle gets more severe it creates more stress on the components (one of the reasons IIRC for the cathederal ports on the old LSx motors).

In any event I'll have to file that little fact away.

Think of that advantages of a compact, multivalve, VVT, SIDI, AFM, pushrod V8 compared to the "modern" DOHC engines we see today in terms of cost and packaging.
Actually that starts to sound pretty complex even though it uses only one cam (especially considering the concentric cam desing which is essentially two camshafts)

Last edited by bossco; 01-04-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:57 PM

Some more info to keep the hearts fluttering... The Chev R07 NASCAR engine:

Interesting valvetrain design:
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h.../photo_05.html

Nice head:
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h.../photo_08.html

Quick Reply: Corvette Racing boss Doug Fehan confirms new 5.5L V8 for Sebring debut