Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Chevy Malibu Eco Deemed Most Disliked Car of 2012

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 01:55 PM

Exclamation Chevy Malibu Eco Deemed Most Disliked Car of 2012

I don't know why this makes it the most disliked car of 2012. Magazines exaggerate things so much.

DailyTech - Chevy Malibu Eco Deemed Most Disliked Car of 2012

CNN/Fortune bestows this unwanted title on GM's mainstream, midsize "mild" hybrid

When it comes to all-new vehicles introduced in the past year, one model in particular has left many reviewers and industry analysts scratching their heads. The vehicle in question is the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco, which was the first trim level introduced for the redesigned midsize sedan (it will soon be followed by a 2.5-liter naturally aspirated four-cylinder engine and 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine options).

What makes the Malibu Eco so perplexing, however, is that despite its mild hybrid powertrain, it doesn't appear to do anything better than its more conventional rivals and falls well short of "true" hybrids competitors. Fortune deems the Malibu Eco "The most disliked car of the year (so far)" based on reviews from auto outlets like Autoblog, Car and Driver, The Truth About Cars, and New York Times.

There are plenty of criticisms about the poor backseat room (due to a 4" cut in the wheelbase to make room for the redesigned 2014 Impala in the Chevrolet lineup), reduced trunk space relative to its predecessor (and even its cheaper Cruze Eco sibling), and poor handling. But the harshest comments are leveled at the Malibu Eco's powertrain. The vehicle uses an electric motor generator and a 65-pound battery that robs trunk space to boost its fuel economy numbers; however, it's simply not enough against the competition.

For example, the Malibu Eco starts at $25,995 and is rated at 25/37 (city/highway). For comparison, here's how the vehicle stacks up to its more conventional competitors which have base prices that starts at least $2,000 lower:

Nissan Altima: 27/38
Toyota Camry: 25/35
Hyundai Sonata: 24/35

The $21,500 Nissan Altima manages to undercut the Malibu Eco by over $4,000, yet delivers better fuel economy (city and highway), has a larger interior/trunk, and is nearly 500 lbs lighter. The Malibu Eco fares better against the Camry and Sonata, but both vehicles put up competitive numbers without the added weight, cost, and complexity of GM's mild hybrid powertrain.

The Malibu takes an even heavier beating from full-hybrid and diesel midsize sedans that cost roughly the same amount of money:

Ford Fusion Hybrid: 47/44
Toyota Camry Hybrid: 43/39
Hyundai Sonata Hybrid: 35/40
Volkswagen Passat TDI: 31/43

Fortune's Alex Taylor III writes, "In trying to combine the benefits of a full hybrid and a conventional gasoline-powered engine, [GM] came up with neither. The car lacks the fuel economy of the former and the efficiency and value of the latter."

Taylor concludes, saying, "Unlike Toyota, which pioneered the full hybrid Prius more than 20 years ago and never wavered, GM has vacillated -- swerving from EVs to hybrids and back again. With its latest effort coming up short by key quantitative standards, the automaker has inadvertently created in the Eco the most disliked car from the first half of 2012."

One can only hope that GM can deliver a more competitive hybrid solution for future vehicles. The company needs to find some middle ground between the Malibu Eco's mediocre powertrain and the fuel-efficiency wizardry of the much more expensive Chevrolet Volt.

Sources: CNN/Fortune, New York Times, The Truth About Cars, Car and Driver
Old 07-12-2012, 02:18 PM

Re: Chevy Malibu Eco Deemed Most Disliked Car of 2012

I was disappointed with the EPA number and think the Malibu Eco will flop once the 2.5L Malibu comes out. I expect that to get about 35mpg.

Anyone know when we will see the 2.5L and 2.0T Malibu?
Old 07-12-2012, 04:59 PM

I'm still holding out hope for a US turbo-diesel version.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
I was disappointed with the EPA number and think the Malibu Eco will flop once the 2.5L Malibu comes out. I expect that to get about 35mpg.
I think the Malibu 2.5L will get about the same 22/33 as the ATS.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:36 PM

The only valid comparisons should be to the standard cars at the other manufacturers. The full hybrid comparison is massively idiotic.

In any event, going to that, it does have a marginal fuel economy advantage over Camry and Sonata. At least in theory. In the CD comparison most of the cars tied at 26mpg average on their trip.

The bigger issue is probably the lack of space. Especially even relative to the Cruz. This is really a blunder in planning the product range and packaging this vehicle. One that GM does deserve criticism for.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:58 PM

It's also ulgy as heck imo.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:51 PM

I'm not sure it's "The Most Hated Car", but in many ways it's the most pointless.

Every issue brought up in that article is valid plus the Malibu Eco IS being marketed as a fuel saving vehicle, and so it IS fair to put it against any other fuel saving or similar sized vehicle in it's class. The article does this with both conventionally powered cars as well as Hybrids.

At a price just a hair under $28,000, it most certainly is fair to put it against cars like the Fusion Hybrid which is about the same price, as well as conventionally powerd cars like the Sonata and Camry which are in fact in the same class.

As nice as the Malibu is, there is no escaping that it falls on it's face with the Eco version. Making a case for the Eco over it's competitors is akin to asking a person in the supermarket to spend more for a sirloin steak that is 1/3 smaller, filled with gristle, and is past the expiration date. It's really a hard sell.

It's marketed in the same circles as a Hybrid, yet it isn't.

There's a $26,000 price tag, but there's many cars in the same class that get the same mileage and cost many thousands less... no small issue in a segment where value per dollar determines who gets the attention of buyers and sales.

For close to the same money you can get a full Hybrid in a competitor's car that gets over 40 mpg, and in one instance gets close to 50.

This E-assist doesn't simply dissappear into the car, you actually lose quite a bit of trunk space.

Yes the Malibu is a great looking car, and there's hardly a cheap looking part on it. But you can get that on the conventionally powered version and save yourself a few thousand dollars, have the full trunk, have a car that handles better (without the additional weight), and with the 2.5 have nearly (or with the 2.0 liter turbo, perhaps even the same) fuel economy.

Calling it the most hated car is a bit of an overreach.

But that doesn't mean there isn't a big collective "What the hell were they thinking?" in a lot of journalists (and lost buyers) minds.

Last edited by guionM; 07-12-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:02 AM

Mild hybrid is not very useful.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by km9v
Mild hybrid is not very useful.
I used to think that. But after driving one, it's very quiet, gives a low hp car more pep (at least it feels like more pep), and it's relatively cheap. While I do agree mild hybrids aren't a solution to the fuel mileage issue, but I do think they are good middle ground for other big drawbacks of economy cars. (Noise, very slow, and transmissions that are jerky and unsure.)

I know the article is being harsh, just for the sake of being harsh. That car did fall short of expectations against the competition, but just because a car is not best in class doesn't mean it's the worst car ever. If you bought a 2012 Malibu hybrid, it's not like you'd regret it. 1 or 2mpg lost verses the competition, big whup. I think the design and the interior of Malibu can make up for it. Do I expect this car to be a car to be a sales success... Most disliked car of 2012. Pfttt.. GM has made PLENTY worse than this car.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by ehaase
I think the Malibu 2.5L will get about the same 22/33 as the ATS.
I expect the gearing to be different with the Malibu tuned for more MPG. The old Malibu 2.4L was rated 33mpg with out direct injection. This one really needs to improve on that.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:08 PM

I wish all the 2013's would get the LTZ tail lights.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:58 PM

I think this is a strange car. Design elements of it look good, I especially like the front nose. But, the gigantic( for nowadays) overhangs and short looking wheelbase just kill it. Chevy really needed a WOW factor car like the 08 Bu came out, instead they played it too safe. Parked next to a new Fusion, this 2013 is gonna be invisible. Plus now that other midsizers are getting huge mpg's with gas engines, I dont get the point of the mild hybrid e-assist cars anymore, just build a real hybrid already if your gonna have a hybrid model.

Z28x- Agree with ya on the taillights. "Almost" every other OEM uses LED's now, Im clueless as to why GM still reserves the led lamps for the upper trim models.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:58 AM

I'm still not sure what the wisdom was in releasing the 2013 Malibu in Eco-only trim months before the rest of the line is rolled out. Talk about giving customers a poor initial impression.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:07 AM

What I have noticed with the Eco and the Volt is a glaring competitive pricing problem within.

It seems if you want the regular sedan or the all out hybrid it takes quite a vault at Chevy to go from one to the other.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
I wish all the 2013's would get the LTZ tail lights.[/IMG]
I don't. I actually like the standard tail lamps better, although I'm beginning to loath the Malibu tail lamps altogether. Both the gen 7 (2008-12) and gen 8 (2013-) have great looking front ends, but the tail lamps make the rear ends look a bit weak on both generations.

The 2014 Impala has a much better looking rear end, especially the tail lamps. But then I think the current Impala and Caprice have better looking rear ends as well.

Quick Reply: Chevy Malibu Eco Deemed Most Disliked Car of 2012