Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Chevy blurb

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 08:08 PM

Post Chevy blurb

"This year, we at Chevrolet are going to prove
something very important.
We're going to prove that your faith in American ingenuity,
technology and skill has not been misplaced.
In the coming months, you'll see that proof in places you
may not have checked lately. In out Chevrolet products.
Take a good hard look, this year especially.
You'll discover Chevrolet is much more than simply
number one in sales.
You'll discover Chevrolet is taking charge
in providing better, more exciting, affordable products.
Chevrolets built with high-quality design and assembly procedures.
Chevrolets built with more state-of-the-art production techniques.
Chevrolets utilizing the most advanced worldwide automotive
technology ever in our history.
Whether or not we become your next new car, we want to
make you proud that we are America's car.
We are USA-1. And USA-1 is taking charge."

------------------
1982 Recaro Trans Am (Y84), LU5/WS6/CC1/G80/J65/etc. 3,082 orig. miles (7/24/2002) - http://ohok.com/82recaro
1985 Base Firebird, F41/LB8/GU5/etc. CB radio, 142kmiles. http://ohok.com/82recaro/kizzsfb.jpg
1984 Firebird S/E, WS6/LL1/MD8/etc. All original, 102kmiles. Sold 5/02 http://ohok.com/82recaro/kizzsse.jpg
Old 07-31-2002, 09:00 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kizz:
"This year, we at Chevrolet are going to prove
something very important.
We're going to prove that your faith in American ingenuity,
technology and skill has not been misplaced.
In the coming months, you'll see that proof in places you
may not have checked lately. In out Chevrolet products.
Take a good hard look, this year especially.
You'll discover Chevrolet is much more than simply
number one in sales.
You'll discover Chevrolet is taking charge
in providing better, more exciting, affordable products.
Chevrolets built with high-quality design and assembly procedures.
Chevrolets built with more state-of-the-art production techniques.
Chevrolets utilizing the most advanced worldwide automotive
technology ever in our history.
Whether or not we become your next new car, we want to
make you proud that we are America's car.
We are USA-1. And USA-1 is taking charge."

</font>

Who said that and where'd you find it?

Maybe they'll spring a few surprises on us... I have high hopes for the RWD cars at the NAIAS...

Old 07-31-2002, 09:42 PM

Talking

It all sounds well and good, but remember that they're just words.

Darth, I too am interested in what RWD concepts Chevy will have at NAIAS (I attend religiously every year ) however, I still don't see a Camaro concept there. At best, a sporty coupe with a different name to test possible styling cues on the next Camaro. Wouldn't it be nice if GM really surprised us for once and said "here it is, the next Camaro!", much like Chrysler did with the totally unexpected Viper V10 Ram last year? One can dream I suppose.

------------------
Mark

94 Z28, Red, A4, 3:23
Lone Mods--LPE CAI, !Lapeer Dragway.
(Hey, I'm a college boy I can't afford gobs of bolt-ons!)

Best time: 14.658 @ 95.1
with SES light on and Driver off! (First and only time at track)

The F-body will NEVER die.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:51 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z28Wilson:
It all sounds well and good, but remember that they're just words.

Darth, I too am interested in what RWD concepts Chevy will have at NAIAS (I attend religiously every year ) however, I still don't see a Camaro concept there. At best, a sporty coupe with a different name to test possible styling cues on the next Camaro. Wouldn't it be nice if GM really surprised us for once and said "here it is, the next Camaro!", much like Chrysler did with the totally unexpected Viper V10 Ram last year? One can dream I suppose.

</font>
that will be very, very nice, hey when is Naias?

------------------
1995 Red Z28
98 Z28 Wheels
White Face Gauges
Moroso CAI
Air Foil
Hookers Headers
Dyno Max Muffler
LT4 Knock Module
Reprogramed Computer
Old 07-31-2002, 09:52 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if GM really surprised us for once and said "here it is, the next Camaro!", much like Chrysler did with the totally unexpected Viper V10 Ram last year? One can dream I suppose.

</font>
My friend, you make me smile when you say such things!

But...wow... wouldn't that just TOTALLY blow everyone away?!?! A lot of people would be shoveling large portions of crow into their mouths if that did happen!

Old 07-31-2002, 10:07 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by luis nunez:
that will be very, very nice, hey when is Naias?
</font>
NAIAS (Detroit Auto Show) is usually in early-mid January.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:09 PM

I was hoping someone would catch on to the sarcasm...

Those are Chevy's words allright

but from 1983, when they still had *****.

http://thirdgen.org/newdesign/brochu...kingcharge.jpg

sorry to let you guys down hard.

Maybe someone at GM will find this and see what the company was once like, and be inspired to be that way again. I'm not holding my breath.

GT
Old 08-01-2002, 01:21 AM
cmc

Hah! You had me going there.

You know, even in the early 90s GM had at least SOME amount of innovation. Even though it turned out to be a flop due to some bad parts, the Quad-4 HO engine had great potential. Before the popularity of the VTEC engine with its 190 HP version in the Integra Type-R, GM (Oldsmobile) had its own, with no variable valve timing, and reportedly ran so clean that no catalytic convertor was needed for it to pass emissions.

Midsize cars have scarcely been significantly updated. Same choice of engines, same choice of transmissions, same chassis and suspension. Don't get me wrong, the 3.8 was a great engine, but it's time for a successor to that engine. Accords and Camrys are overpowering our Impalas and Regals and what not (the latest Accord, officially, has 240 HP! and in my opinion has a lot more daring style that I believe has turned out to look great). I'm not asking for RWD for everything, because that's just not the solution for your average family or commuter car, but how about a nice 5 or 6 speed manual transmission? (Accord's got a 6-spd option, GM should be competitive and do so as well)

New interiors are a good idea, too, and we've all gone over that one. I really am a fan of the G-Force interior, which incidentally is a re-skinned version of the Monte Carlo interior, but stylish.

Also GM needs a car or two with a nice exhaust note.

I'll keep my rants down a little though, until I see some releases/NAIAS show cars that will tell me what direction they're taking.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:29 AM

It's ironic that there are complaints about the 3.8 V6. It may be old, but it's a survivor & despite other designs from GM, a good low cost, powerful, & near indestructible engine. Consider this:

*Chevy had a 60 degree V6 introduced in the Citation that was to become the standard bearer, but that's gone.
*The V6 that was originally in the gen4 f-body was a newer design, but that's gone.
*The ohc V6 from the soon to be defunct Oldsmobile division will soon be replaced by a "high value" V6, despite being less than 6 years old.

Think of it as a 2/3 LS1. An LS1 based V6 would have about 230 horsepower, easily done with the 205 horsepower 3800.
Old 08-01-2002, 12:44 PM
cmc

I know how great the 3.8 is (and how crappy the 2.8 60-degree is, having had one shred the bottom end into fine little pieces and deposit it on the oil screen...), but it's sort of a marketing thing. Do you guys know if the High Feature/High Value/High Octane/High Colonic/whatever (how many times have they changed the name making reference to it?) engine will be a whole new set of engines to go across the line, or if it's just a Cadillac engine?

I really think that the V6 next-gen Camaro, if it will exist, should actually be a sporty engine with a nice factory sound, rather than a family sedan engine.

Also, sometimes change for the sake of change could do you good from a marketing perspective. Give you a chance to tout a truly new engine in advertising, should GM decide dabble in that anymore...
Old 08-01-2002, 01:33 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cmc:
I know how great the 3.8 is (and how crappy the 2.8 60-degree is, having had one shred the bottom end into fine little pieces and deposit it on the oil screen...), ...</font>

You didn't like the 2.8?

I am one of the few people to be encountered who actually drove a 2.8 V6, 4 speed, Citation Club Coupe as a daily driver for afew years.

Talking about crappy...that car was crap. Let me spell that for you, C*R*A*P....by far the worst car I have ever owned.

The only redeeming feature on that under-engineered basket case, I thought at the time, was the all new 60* 2.8 l V6.
Old 08-01-2002, 01:34 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
*Chevy had a 60 degree V6 introduced in the Citation that was to become the standard bearer, but that's gone.
*The V6 that was originally in the gen4 f-body was a newer design, but that's gone.
*The ohc V6 from the soon to be defunct Oldsmobile division will soon be replaced by a "high value" V6, despite being less than 6 years old.

Think of it as a 2/3 LS1. An LS1 based V6 would have about 230 horsepower, easily done with the 205 horsepower 3800.[/B]</font>
The 2.8 liter that was released in the Citation is still with us. It was originally stroked to the 3.1 in 1990 and it was then bored to the 3.4 that was originally used in the 4th Gen. F-Bodies. the 3.1 liter version is still used in the Chevrolet Malibu and the 3.4 is still the base engine in the W-Bodies.

Old 08-01-2002, 02:00 PM

Cool

NAIAS (Detroit Auto Show) is usually in early-mid January.</font>
Thanks

------------------
1995 Red Z28
98 Z28 Wheels
White Face Gauges
Moroso CAI
Air Foil
Hookers Headers
Dyno Max Muffler
LT4 Knock Module
Reprogramed Computer
Old 08-01-2002, 02:02 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Eric77TA:
The 2.8 liter that was released in the Citation is still with us. It was originally stroked to the 3.1 in 1990 and it was then bored to the 3.4 that was originally used in the 4th Gen. F-Bodies. the 3.1 liter version is still used in the Chevrolet Malibu and the 3.4 is still the base engine in the W-Bodies.

</font>
Thanks. I wasn't absolutely sure and I couldn't find the answer right away, so I didn't mention it.

However, I was under the impression that the current 3.4 was a version of the 3800, since they are very close in displacement, or it was a version of the Chevy V8 derived V6 from some years ago.

Anyone?

Old 08-01-2002, 02:20 PM
cmc

Originally posted by Z284ever:

You didn't like the 2.8?

Not after the bearing incident, no... Having about 2 or 3 millimeters of play in a rod bearing and having scored two main bearings didn't make me a happy camper. It was probably just a lemon thing--I changed oil every 3000 miles or sooner when I drove it, anyway.

[This message has been edited by cmc (edited August 01, 2002).]

Quick Reply: Chevy blurb