Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Chevy 100: Sneak Peek at the Next Impala?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 06:15 PM

Re: Chevy 100: Sneak Peek at the Next Impala?

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
In the rear it looks very Audi A7'ish. It would be kinda cool to see the Impala end up with a non-traditional sedan silouette like that. Not too sure what else it could be other than the Impala. It doesnt look like a small car to me, although the greenhouse looks a little narrow.
Originally Posted by muckz
GM version of Audi A7?
Decidedly so, in some shape or form. I think someone on the design team wanted to see what that looked like in GM form. Still looks like an Audi.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by posaune
Looks too narrow to be an Impala.
The next Impala will be on Epsilon II and will be narrower than the current model. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the next Impala.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:13 AM

I paid attention to this while watching the show....

I think it looks goofey, though the hood looks like it might be kind of cool in a Shelby Mustang kind of way.

Impala never even crossed my mind, I figured it was just some sort of car what was in development that might never go any further forward, or perhaps it is a show car / concept car model.

The rear is too goofey, IMHO, to see production without significant change.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate
Definitely a concept and nowhere near being ready. The materials don't look right. It looks like a design exercise.
I believe its a clay mock up. The tail lights look like they are just stuck on the rear as an afterthought, kind of like the current Malibu.

Interestingly, the large life sized rendering of the side profile of the car next to the clay mock up shows the rear fenders flaring out around the wheels. But the mock up fenders are flat.

I am hoping that the tail lights and some of the body lines are still a work in progress.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:26 PM

Too small to be Impala. Next generation Cruze.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:31 PM

Vega/Monza?
Old 12-12-2011, 06:09 PM

Almost certainly not an Impala or Malibu.

Too big to be a Cruze.

Process of elimination seems to indicate an RWD Alpha based car or a FWD sedan positioned between the Malibu and Cruze.

Chevy is supposed to get a sports sedan within a few years, so I'd place my bets with the former over the latter.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:54 AM

Next gen. Volt? I re-watched the show last night, there is a clip earlier in the show where Welburn is standing next to this car covered up. He was talking about aerodynamics and the next generation of batteries for the Volt. Hmmmm.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:22 PM

As others have mentioned it's like a scaled down Audi A7.

Certainly not a full sized car.

Not sure if I like the style seen so far.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
Next gen. Volt? I re-watched the show last night, there is a clip earlier in the show where Welburn is standing next to this car covered up. He was talking about aerodynamics and the next generation of batteries for the Volt. Hmmmm.
I seriously doubt it. The next gen Volt would need to be more aerodynamic and not have ridiculous hood flutes that are more or less cosmetic.

I like Guy's Chevy Alpha suggestion.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by 91Zman
Vega/Monza?
This^^^^^^^^
Bring back the Monza. Make it the size and weight of that new Toyota/Subi car, except with a small V8
Old 12-17-2011, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX
This^^^^^^^^
Bring back the Monza. Make it the size and weight of that new Toyota/Subi car, except with a small V8
I like that idea.

Too bad GM doesn't have the stones...
Old 12-18-2011, 12:04 AM

This^^^^^^^^
I don't know that 'Monza' was ever a name from Chevrolet that was heralded or well respected. I mean, sure, it was a rear-drive, V8 coupe/notchback but wasn't it severely crippled in terms of power--having anything from a 4-cylinder to a ridiculously detuned 350?

Chevrolet needs a new name for this thing...If the Traverse name wasn't already taken, that would have been a good name for this A7-ish looking thing. There's a piece of me that's kinda hoping Chevrolet will nip at the heels of both Subaru and higher marques by doing an 'allroad' thing with it.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8
I don't know that 'Monza' was ever a name from Chevrolet that was heralded or well respected. I mean, sure, it was a rear-drive, V8 coupe/notchback but wasn't it severely crippled in terms of power--having anything from a 4-cylinder to a ridiculously detuned 350?
I doubt outside of drag racing circles the car as it stands now is very well known.

That said, I always liked them. I had the Olds version of the monza with a 350 and a rearend with the spider gears welded, it was a treacherous little car but loads of fun.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:10 PM

This^^^^^^^^
Owned a couple of V8 Monza Spyders and a V6 in the mid-80s, and I'd still say they were the most fun, gokart-like, tossable cars I ever owned. I'd be the 1st to join you in saying GM needs to bring back a car like that, but I'd have to disagree with the V8. There's no need for small V8s anymore with n/a 3.6s putting out 320+hp and lightly blown sixes pushing 370+.

The 3.6 V6 (now at 320hp) is more in the spirit of the Monza V8 and would make a car that size and purpose far more than just a little bit entertaining.

Quick Reply: Chevy 100: Sneak Peek at the Next Impala?