Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Camaro Z/28 Laps Nurburgring in 7:37.40

Old 10-15-2013, 09:57 AM

Camaro Z/28 Laps Nurburgring in 7:37.40

That is four seconds faster than the ZL1, plus it started raining during the run.

The Z/28’s lap is four seconds faster than the Camaro ZL1, and beats published times for the Porsche 911 Carrera S and the Lamborghini Murcielago LP640. The Z/28’s lap was completed on less-than-ideal conditions, with damp pavement and pouring rain near the end of the run.
http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...rburgring.html
Old 10-15-2013, 10:10 AM

Re: Camaro Z/28 Laps Nurburgring in 7:37.40

On Youtube

Nurburgring Lap Times: 2014 Camaro Z28 Tops Published Times | Chevrolet - YouTube
Old 10-16-2013, 07:27 PM

Its to bad the Z/28 is going to be so expensive, if only they could of brought this in for a coupla shiny pennies over the Boss Mustang GM would have had an absolute game changer.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by bossco
Its to bad the Z/28 is going to be so expensive, if only they could of brought this in for a coupla shiny pennies over the Boss Mustang GM would have had an absolute game changer.
It is too bad Ford went to the ring with the GT500 and never released the times. I guess they couldn't hang.

-Geoff
Old 10-17-2013, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
It is too bad Ford went to the ring with the GT500 and never released the times. I guess they couldn't hang.

-Geoff
Okay.... I wasn't detracting from the Z/28's performance, just the projected 70k+ price tag (less inevitable ADMs) that if true will make it the most expensive pony car coupe ever produced effectively rendering it a unicorn.

Amazing performance inaccessible to the bulk of its fans, its where cars like a fully loaded GT500 ( almost as expensive as the Z/28 ) fail compared to a car like the Boss 302 which offered incredible bang for the buck.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:09 PM

Okay.... I wasn't detracting from the Z/28's performance, just the projected 70k+ price tag (less inevitable ADMs) that if true will make it the most expensive pony car coupe ever produced effectively rendering it a unicorn.

Amazing performance inaccessible to the bulk of its fans, its where cars like a fully loaded GT500 ( almost as expensive as the Z/28 ) fail compared to a car like the Boss 302 which offered incredible bang for the buck.
Just to keep this in persective. It has carbon brakes, functional downforce producing aero, the shocks are Champ Car/F1 tech that are a first use outside of a supercar. They could have taken the easy way and dropped an LS7 into the 1LE, and probably come in near Boss territory. However, wasn't the 1le basicaaly running with the Boss for less money. They were going for the pinnacle of what the platfrom was capable of.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
They could have taken the easy way and dropped an LS7 into the 1LE, and probably come in near Boss territory
Now speaking as a dyed in the wool Mustang guy, if GM were to offer a 50k wet sump LS7 powered 1LE I'd be all over it.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:00 PM

Now speaking as a dyed in the wool Mustang guy, if GM were to offer a 50k wet sump LS7 powered 1LE I'd be all over it.
That would be awesome. I was just trying to make sure a few of the special things done to this car (which really push the price) were not overlooked. One thing I forgot, the warranty is extended to include track duty.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:31 AM

I am just going to leave this right here:

and let you jump into your own conclusions.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:05 AM

So just like usual GM waits several years to see what Ford is doing, builds a more expensive competitor and brags about how great their vehicle is. How about GM takes the lead and sets the standard instead of always waiting for Ford to make the first step. And $70k+ for a Camaro is beyond hilarious, looks like the wine and cheese crowd will be the only ones able to afford this Z/28. So much for the average guy being able to afford these cars anymore. I paid $19k for my 2002 Z28 brand new ordered from the factory stripped 1SC with a few options but not many. When I see how expensive these cars are even with inflation factored in it is scary. New Camaro's are at best just a tick or two faster than the LS1's but for a lot more money and worse gas mileage. We are getting to the point of diminishing returns it seems.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
So just like usual GM waits several years to see what Ford is doing, builds a more expensive competitor and brags about how great their vehicle is. How about GM takes the lead and sets the standard instead of always waiting for Ford to make the first step. And $70k+ for a Camaro is beyond hilarious, looks like the wine and cheese crowd will be the only ones able to afford this Z/28. So much for the average guy being able to afford these cars anymore. I paid $19k for my 2002 Z28 brand new ordered from the factory stripped 1SC with a few options but not many. When I see how expensive these cars are even with inflation factored in it is scary. New Camaro's are at best just a tick or two faster than the LS1's but for a lot more money and worse gas mileage. We are getting to the point of diminishing returns it seems.
Bitter much? Most of your post is just complaining about the price of new cars. Ford raised all it's prices when Camaro came out, but I don't hear you complaining about that? Camaro and Mustang are priced almost identically. How much was gas in 2002?

If you look at the Camaro since 2009, it has systematically gotten better every single year. They are beating Ford hands down, but they are doing it by constantly improving the Camaro. I think GM is setting a new bar in the class, not waiting to see the latest Mustang then reacting. We will see if Ford responds when we see the Mustangs stats next year. They are the followers now, not GM.

-Geoff
Old 10-21-2013, 03:10 PM

Ford Doesn't have a Z/28 type of car. The last thing they made that was anything like the Z/28 was the Cobra R in 2000, and that was expensive too.

Your 2002 Z28 is more comparable in HP to todays V6 Camaro (323HP), which is very affordable.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:01 PM

Bitter much? Most of your post is just complaining about the price of new cars. Ford raised all it's prices when Camaro came out, but I don't hear you complaining about that? Camaro and Mustang are priced almost identically. How much was gas in 2002?

If you look at the Camaro since 2009, it has systematically gotten better every single year. They are beating Ford hands down, but they are doing it by constantly improving the Camaro. I think GM is setting a new bar in the class, not waiting to see the latest Mustang then reacting. We will see if Ford responds when we see the Mustangs stats next year. They are the followers now, not GM.

-Geoff
Not bitter at all just seeing the same pattern all the time, Ford releases a car that beats Chevy then Chevy responds in 2-3 years. What Camaro is beating the Mustang hands down? Mustang V6 is quicker than the Camaro V6, Mustang Gt is faster than the Camaro SS, Shelby Gt500 is faster than the ZL1. Z28 is made to compete against what? If the Boss Mustang than they are a few years late since they haven't made them for 2 years and they didn't cost $70k+. It's not bitter when you are stating facts, I've owned 3 Camaro's but some of you guys just seem to have blinders on all the freaking time when it comes to anything but the Camaro.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Ford Doesn't have a Z/28 type of car. The last thing they made that was anything like the Z/28 was the Cobra R in 2000, and that was expensive too.

Your 2002 Z28 is more comparable in HP to todays V6 Camaro (323HP), which is very affordable.
My Z28 was in no way comparable to a V6 Camaro, they might have made similar hp numbers in the "brochure" but their torque numbers were no were near the same so that argument is ridiculous at best, they didn't run similar times or even weigh anything near the same. My Z was a little over 3,400lb's, the gen 5's are no where near that number. Late model LS1's were putting down almost what the gen 5 V6 is making at the crank and with a little money they were 11 second cars.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:47 PM

-Geoff
Ford took the GT500 to Nurburgring for developmental work. Ford does most their track development testing at Road Atlanta, and once in a blue moon at Laguna Seca, so the fact they went there at all is impressive.

Videos of the GT500 there are impressive. I'm pretty sure it was up there with, say, a CTSv....hardly anything to be ashamed of, but isn't worth advertising unless you beat your direct competitor, which I'm sure it won't top the Z28.

FWIW: Expect the next top drawer Mustang (there's a chance the Cobra name will return) will be run on Nurburgring, and the numbers will be released......Mustangs will also be sold in Europe next round.

Not bitter at all just seeing the same pattern all the time, Ford releases a car that beats Chevy then Chevy responds in 2-3 years. What Camaro is beating the Mustang hands down? Mustang V6 is quicker than the Camaro V6, Mustang Gt is faster than the Camaro SS, Shelby Gt500 is faster than the ZL1. Z28 is made to compete against what? If the Boss Mustang than they are a few years late since they haven't made them for 2 years and they didn't cost $70k+. It's not bitter when you are stating facts, I've owned 3 Camaro's but some of you guys just seem to have blinders on all the freaking time when it comes to anything but the Camaro.
I think you're WAY off base here.

1) 3800 4th gen Camaros outran SN95 based Mustangs. Especially if both had sticks.

2) Throughout the 90s, Ford was behind Camaro in performance and handling. If you wanted to match a Z28, you had to spring for an expensive Cobra.

3) The Supercharged 2002 Mustang Cobra was created to put the debate of which car was quicker (Z28 or Cobra) to bed.....ie: it was a response.

4) Ford swapped their Mustang's V6 to a more powerful V6 just ahead of Camaro's introduction.

5) When Ford brought out the powerful 5.0 in 2011, it was catching up to Camaro SS's power and performance.

6) The upcoming Mustang has IRS...again, catching up with Camaro.

As for the complaint about the Z/28 costing too much for you, it isn't being made for you. It's a serious race car, like the original. If you aren't regularly using the car on the track, you aren't going to like it, it's pretty stripped. If you do use the car on the track, you aren't going to be complaining about the price. Not everything made has to be tailored to you or me.

I've owned 4 Camaros (a '68, '93, '97, and 2002).

I've also owned 3 Thunderbird SCs, 5 Mustangs I kept for myself (I used to buy and sell CHP cars), was a 12 year member of Mustang clubs in San Diego, Honolulu, and briefly in the San Francisco Bay area....so I most certainly don't have blinders on.

Competition between brands means some years one brand will have the better car in some ways, and some years, the other brand will have the better car in some ways. Today a Mustang GT will outrun a Camaro SS as will a GT500 over a ZL1. 4 years ago, Camaro SS outran a Mustang GT. 12 years ago, Z28s whipped Mustang GTs. Next year, who knows what will happen?

My Z28 was in no way comparable to a V6 Camaro, they might have made similar hp numbers in the "brochure" but their torque numbers were no were near the same so that argument is ridiculous at best, they didn't run similar times or even weigh anything near the same. My Z was a little over 3,400lb's, the gen 5's are no where near that number. Late model LS1's were putting down almost what the gen 5 V6 is making at the crank and with a little money they were 11 second cars.
Quickest controlled 0-60 test times of post MY2000 Camaro Z28 is in the 5.0 to 5.2 second range with low to mid 13s in the quarter.

The new V6 Camaros about 6 flat and low 14s to 14 flat.......So, no, a V6 Camaro wouldn't be as quick as your LS1.......

.......but don't go racing any recent V6 Mustangs.

Also, when you consider everything in that V6 Camaro that isn't in yours (IRS, more solid structure, power window motors that actually work more than a couple of years, far better assembly and far better quality, better fuel economy, arguably better looks), then yes, a 323hp V6 Camaro doesn't compare to your 2002.... it's better!

You made a claim in an earlier post that the new Camaro is no quicker than your Camaro. Not true.....The SS with the 1LE does mid-low 4s and mid 12s

Last edited by guionM; 10-22-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camaro Z/28 Laps Nurburgring in 7:37.40