Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

The Cadillac V-Series Performance Driving.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 01:33 PM

The Cadillac V-Series Performance Driving.

That basically sums up the event.

But if you want more details, fine! I will try to give you guys the rundown. Excuse my English as it is my 2nd language.

Let's get into it. I got lucky once again and got an email from Cadillac inviting me to their Cadillac V-Series Performance Driving event. This is my 2nd time doing attending this event and I hope I can keep doing that anytime they do it.

So, I choose 7:30 am on a Saturday, which means I had to wake up at 4:15 am in the morning that day to make it on time. Which to be honest it was easy considering I knew what was waiting for me.

As I arrive to the Palm Beach International Raceway I was greeted by Cadillac staff in a very warn and friendly manner. Coming from Miami... you are not used to that! As I get out of my 2010 SS I notice a lot of different cars parked around me. Yes, plenty of GM but it was nice to see that there was a few Mercedes and BMW parked which means these owners would get to experience the baddest Cadillacs GM has to offer.

(excuse the quality of the cellphone photos)

Inside the building there were parts displayed of the CTS-Vs, this was the registration tables and you were served breakfast while waiting for the show to begin.

We got some introduction to the program by Jim Vurpillat, Global Marketing Director Cadillac, and introduced some of the key players in the development of the CTS-V. It was informative and not boring (at least not to me).

After the talk we were divided into 3 large groups and then 2 sub groups. This is where the fun began, we left the building and outside the "staff" had line up on each side of the door applauding you as you went outside. Now I know how the astronauts feel when they walk in front of a whole of people applauding you. We were about to fire a different kind of rocket thought!

As you step outside there were a "few" cadillac cars waiting to be beaten.

(just look how sexy that 1st coupe looks)

Each group of car would define the exercises for the day:
  • The ATS (hard breaking, drag race, slalom)
  • the Sedan and Wagon (full laps around the track with instructor giving you some time to learn the track)
  • the Coupe (full laps around the track with instructor and video that i should be getting in 2 weeks)

I was told to drive any of the black cars (wagons and Sedans), I gladly and quickly ran to the back before someone else could grab the driver side. I don't have to go into detail about the interior as we all know it's a gorgeous place to be. We drove the cars to our 1st area where we all got down and they divided the group in half again. I got to sit down in a tent and got some 101 on brake systems and new technologies while the half of my group drove the cars. After they were done I got my hands on a Sedan again and my instructor for the day helped me get familiar with the track. After 2 laps we were done and we jumped over to the other exercise.

This time I got to drive the coupe but it is different, this time we had a Camera rolling and recording me and also sensors recording all the inputs. From brake and power % to G-forces to MPH. My instructor was quiet during my lap... that was either a REALLY bad thing or a good thing.

Once I was done tearing up the track with the coupe I jumped into the ATS. Which I gotta say... this little car feels great. It's light... 31 and change and from what they say the lightest in it's class vs the competitors. You can tell it is likes to play and turn. The slalom proved to be easy to drive aggressive but feels smooth. The brakes were impressive. 4 Pistons Brembos (if I recall correctly) stopped the car with a lot of confidence not all that impressive in the drag race but then again I had just finished playing with the 556 HP beast so my perception could have been compromised...

all in all I keep going back to the fact that Cadillac is doing exactly what it needs to do... now I want to see a V version of the ATS.

I will add some more photos later on... when I get some free time to post process the ones in my real camera.

Last edited by jcamere94z28; 10-22-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:34 AM

Re: The Cadillac V-Series Performance Driving.

You lucky SOB

Must've been one helluva fun experience, I'm really excited to hear a lot of good things about the ATS.

But the CTS-V Sport Wagon is by far my current dream car
Old 10-23-2012, 11:39 AM

It's interesting how Cadillac is advertising it's V through programs and events, instead of more traditional methods such as media. I didn't have to chance to join this event, but I was able to drive a CTS-V sport wagon through GM's ambassador car program. Honestly I haven't driven anything in years that came close to it. Very different than most sports car, it's not about lightness and nimbleness. It literally is a technology sport car, like a GT-R. Very fun experience. I absolutely loved the car, it brings driving for the sheer fun of driving back.

For example. I remember I finding the G-Meter on the car... Bad idea. All of a sudden turns weren't for turning. It became a contest to see how many G's I could generate in a turn. Then the brakes... Absurd stopping power. I was driving at night and a animal cut across the road. While I wasn't near the animal out of curiosity I braked extremely hard to see how fast it could stop from 40mph if there was an emergency brake. It actually gripped and braked so hard that I got bruised by the seat belt restraining my momentum.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:35 PM

That looks and sounds really cool! I'd love to do this, but unfortunately I looked at the schedule and its not coming anywhere close to me. I would drive to Indy if they had it there, maybe next spring....keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
It's interesting how Cadillac is advertising it's V through programs and events, instead of more traditional methods such as media. I didn't have to chance to join this event, but I was able to drive a CTS-V sport wagon through GM's ambassador car program. Honestly I haven't driven anything in years that came close to it. Very different than most sports car, it's not about lightness and nimbleness. It literally is a technology sport car, like a GT-R. Very fun experience. I absolutely loved the car, it brings driving for the sheer fun of driving back.

For example. I remember I finding the G-Meter on the car... Bad idea. All of a sudden turns weren't for turning. It became a contest to see how many G's I could generate in a turn. Then the brakes... Absurd stopping power. I was driving at night and a animal cut across the road. While I wasn't near the animal out of curiosity I braked extremely hard to see how fast it could stop from 40mph if there was an emergency brake. It actually gripped and braked so hard that I got bruised by the seat belt restraining my momentum.
damn it... i didn't see the G-meter in the car!!!

I think it is a great form of Advertising... you might not reach as much people but you do reach in an touch those lucky individuals so much that they will go on to tell everyone about it...

much better than a TV ad saying our cars are quick.... You have someone actually trying it out and experiencing the cars for themselves.

I think next time (hopefully) I will pick another track and actually FLY to it.... I love to experience the V caddies in another track.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:17 PM

I'm on standby for the one at Firebird near Phoenix (thanks to checking my e-mail only twice a week).