Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

CAD drawing of 2014 Corvette rear fascia leaks out

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 05:30 PM

CAD drawing of 2014 Corvette rear fascia leaks out

CAD Image Of 2014 Corvette C7 Rear Fascia Slips Out | GM Authority

It looks exactly like the Jalopnik renderings.

I guess it loses the rear bubble glass.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:32 PM

Re: CAD drawing of 2014 Corvette rear fascia leaks out

Old 09-27-2012, 09:48 PM

Not sure whether to believe it or not. That spoiler is really radical for a corvette. Why is there an air vent near the c pillar? I can see it being a leaked CAD drawing, but not sure if I buy it being the current or final design.

That being said. The wheels are very nice.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
Not sure whether to believe it or not. That spoiler is really radical for a corvette. Why is there an air vent near the c pillar? I can see it being a leaked CAD drawing, but not sure if I buy it being the current or final design.
That thought crossed my mind, too, but............
Old 09-28-2012, 07:03 AM

I've been concerned about the rear end renderings I saw over at GM Authority. I expected C7 to be more 'revolutionary' but those were quite a shock to the system, not going to lie. They don't really say "Corvette" at all.

I'm not sure if I care for this or not. I'm skeptical about trying to force Camaro styling queues onto this car.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:15 AM

I've said fromt he very beginning that Jalopnik nail it basically 100%.

When you looke dat their initial renderings, and saw that the later seen spy photos showed every detail that could be seen on the Jalopnik rederings, allt he way down to the exact style of the wheels, it was obvious.

Anyone who thinks that teh Jalopnik renderings are not spot on are just fooling themselves.

The tooling we've seen from Omega match the Jalopnik pics, and this pic dead on.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:17 AM

Also, about the air vent on the rear quarter...

Go back and look at spy shot with the camo.

The camo even has openigns in it for these air vents.

Heck, in this pic you can even kind of see the vent.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
I've said fromt he very beginning that Jalopnik nail it basically 100%.

When you looke dat their initial renderings, and saw that the later seen spy photos showed every detail that could be seen on the Jalopnik rederings, allt he way down to the exact style of the wheels, it was obvious.

Anyone who thinks that teh Jalopnik renderings are not spot on are just fooling themselves.

The tooling we've seen from Omega match the Jalopnik pics, and this pic dead on.
Agreed. I too noticed that the spy photos seemed to jive with the Jalopnik renderings. (Did anyone get fired yet for leaking those?)

The rendering above (and the spy shot you posted) with the duct and the very tall spoiler may be for a Z06 / ZR1 variant. As was the Jalopnik rendering, IIRC. The spy shots have shown a couple of different wheel types, with the split spoke wheels matching the Jalopnik images. Though the brakes in the spy shot don't strike me as ZR1 material (or even Z06, based on that little glimpse).

The GT-R-ish rear window and narrowed rear hatch are obviously going to make it (maybe good, maybe bad, def different), as are the Camaro-inspired taillights. I'm not a fan of this latter move. Camaro shouldn't be dictating styling trends to Corvette. Even pushing that bit of heirarchy aside, they just don't look as good, and they don't say Corvette to me. Have to reserve judgment until the real deal is out, of course, but the rear end makes me nervous.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
Agreed. I too noticed that the spy photos seemed to jive with the Jalopnik renderings. (Did anyone get fired yet for leaking those?)

The rendering above (and the spy shot you posted) with the duct and the very tall spoiler may be for a Z06 / ZR1 variant. As was the Jalopnik rendering, IIRC. The spy shots have shown a couple of different wheel types, with the split spoke wheels matching the Jalopnik images. Though the brakes in the spy shot don't strike me as ZR1 material (or even Z06, based on that little glimpse).

The GT-R-ish rear window and narrowed rear hatch are obviously going to make it (maybe good, maybe bad, def different), as are the Camaro-inspired taillights. I'm not a fan of this latter move. Camaro shouldn't be dictating styling trends to Corvette. Even pushing that bit of heirarchy aside, they just don't look as good, and they don't say Corvette to me. Have to reserve judgment until the real deal is out, of course, but the rear end makes me nervous.
To be fair, the new Camaro tail lights are Corvette-inspired. The Vette has had this basic tail light layout since 1961 and the 5th gen is the first time the 2 seperate tail light housings on both sides layout was used on Camaro. I see what you're saying with the flat top on them, but the look is still Corvette-derived, not Camaro-derived.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR
5th gen is the first time the 2 seperate tail light housings on both sides layout was used on Camaro.
I'm not sure, but didn't the 70-73 Camaros have 2 separate lenses on each side of the car?
Old 09-29-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass
I'm not sure, but didn't the 70-73 Camaros have 2 separate lenses on each side of the car?
you're right, they did
Old 09-29-2012, 08:16 PM

Why is there an air vent near the c pillar?
What are the possibilities? This is what I can think of off the top of my head in order of what I think is likely.

1.) Rear Brake cooling? Could it be a better area aerodynamically for some reason to pull air from the top rear 1/4 rather than sides? Could it pull more air that might be needed for big brakes and possible weight? On the other hand could it be less drag? I have no clue...

2.) cooling vent for Radiator in the rear? Could the radiator have been moved for any reason? Weight distrubution? Convienience? etc?

3.) Some type of intercooler/Supercharger/ cool air intake? Seems like a lot of plumbing if this is the case and would make more sense on a mid engine car. Weve seen 4th gen cars with dual aftermarket turbos in the rear of the car. I dont get the advantage unless weight distro or space issues come up.

But thats just some guesses. Just throwing it out there. What else would need a vent? Super cars run a ton of air vents, what applications do they use?
Old 09-30-2012, 12:39 AM

Looks like the Chevy guys must have really liked the look of the Fastback Fiero GT.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR
you're right, they did
As did the '68's with RS taillights

Last edited by 68z28; 09-30-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:24 AM

Why is there an air vent near the c pillar?
How about to negate rear lift?
Create low pressure under the car, high pressure on top of the car, and that will equate to downforce.

Quick Reply: CAD drawing of 2014 Corvette rear fascia leaks out