Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Anyone remember this...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 03:57 PM

Arrow Anyone remember this...

This pic circulated a while back but talk died down pretty quickly. Could this be an actual photo and not a computer image? If so, there are major implications for a potential F5.

http://www.angelfire.com/ego/mylego0...dT04camaro.jpg

- Light reflections all over the body are way too complex to have been done in a 3D computer image unless you had dozens of light sources.
- Same with the headlights. That level of realism and reflection is never seen in a computer image unless it was painstakingly raytraced.
- The number of polygons needed to make the body so smooth looking would be way too high to be practical.
- The artist who supposedly made it (Radovan Varicak) usually only deals with hand drawn sketches.
- The little imperfections all over the body like the little black splotch halfway up the A-pillar would have had to be manually added in.
- Same with the big black blob through the drivers window and rear window.
- The wheels and tires are identical to SSR wheels and tires, which we know exist. They could easily be slapped on a life-size prototype. They look too real to have just been pasted into a picture, which is why they must be incredibly complex 3D wheels or actual photos of wheels.
- The tires even have micro-perfect tread and you can read GoodYear on 'em.
- The interior has WAY too much detail. To do all those complex shadows and a steering wheel of that detail would take days if not weeks.

If this was really a computer image, it wasn't done with an image enhancement program like Photoshop. It would have to be done from scratch in a 3D program. I deal with computer graphics frequently and I don't believe any artist spends THIS amount of detail on computer models.. There's no doubt in my mind that this is a photograph. Now I'm ready for my theory to be corroberated .. or shot down
Old 06-26-2002, 04:10 PM

Well... it does say right there in the snippit that it is computer generated...

Either way, it's probably fairly old, being that it is using that "Chevy Spear" styling across the nose, that I believe Lutz has said is ugly... (Thank goodness)

That being said, I hope a new Camaro carries over nothing as far as looks go from this idea... I think it is quirky and clumsy looking... well, that color is OK, they can use that anyway.

[This message has been edited by Darth Xed (edited June 26, 2002).]
Old 06-26-2002, 04:12 PM

I always thought that one looked like a real mockup. If you squint its a great looking car, meaning the overall lines are pretty good, but the entire front end treatment sucks.

Could have been a design exercise done when the future of the F-body was still up in the air (meaning they were't 100% sure it would die)???
Old 07-05-2002, 11:49 AM

No picture shows up when I open the link.
Old 07-05-2002, 07:17 PM

Cool

Cut and paste Matt

------------------
---Ted Krygier-->

TED ONLINE
Old 07-06-2002, 10:53 AM

I think that is re-touched image . Look long and hard . I would about gaurantee that picture was originally of a SSR . There are areas of that car that look real , BUT , there are also several areas that look generated . Example ...the front seats look like a real photo , but the rear seats I think look generated . The headlights would have Very easy to do . It looks like the just used the SSR headlight to have a good starting point ...look at the cat eye in the center of the light ...same as a SSR headlight . I think the car is horrendous(sp?) but whoever re-touched that real photo did a awesome job .

------------------
Derek 95 Trans Am convertible
K&N fipk , CSI h20 pump , hooker lt's , mufflex 4" , LT1edit , ET streets , 373's , !A/C , !smog
Best Et 12.771@106.89
Best 60ft. 1.820
MTI/GTP stage 3 LT4 heads , cc306 , hyra-rev , 1.6's , r lifters , full manual 700r4 , ST3500 verter , roll bar and more all in the garage waiting for install .
92 Z28 - 5.7/G92 , stock daily driver

[This message has been edited by 90 Z28SS (edited July 06, 2002).]
Old 07-06-2002, 11:03 AM

I think it looks great from the hood back. It needs to lose that SSR front end.

that car with the muscle tone front end would be the perfect 5th Gen