Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2014 Corvette Stingray EPA rating

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:04 AM
West South Central Moderator

Thumbs up 2014 Corvette Stingray EPA rating

Compare Side-by-Side
17 city / 29 highway / 21 combined
This is the 455hp version with the 7 speed manual. The catch is, the highway number is the average between the Tour mode's 28mpg & the Eco mode's 30mpg. The 6 speed automatic version's numbers haven't been released yet, & I don't know if the model with the Performance exhaust will get tested separately or not?

I have to say that having 455 horsepower on tap & the capability to get over 30 miles per gallon is impressive!

Last edited by AdioSS; 07-09-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:04 PM

Re: 2014 Corvette Stingray EPA rating

That is very impressive considering most 4 and 6 cyl. sports cars don't even do that well.

So much for those that said increasing fuel economy would kill performance.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:50 PM

Wow. 7 Speed manual would make a nice long distance cruiser.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
That is very impressive considering most 4 and 6 cyl. sports cars don't even do that well.

So much for those that said increasing fuel economy would kill performance.
Yep...right into the garbage file with all the other doomsday predictions the more panic driven members have made lol.

Btw: this new 450+ HP Stingray gets better fuel economy thann just about every V6 engine every sold prior to at least 2009.

Anyone still doubt that performance Camaros and Mustangs are impossible with this decades cafe standards.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Yep...right into the garbage file with all the other doomsday predictions the more panic driven members have made lol.

Btw: this new 450+ HP Stingray gets better fuel economy thann just about every V6 engine every sold prior to at least 2009.

Anyone still doubt that performance Camaros and Mustangs are impossible with this decades cafe standards.
I think you are gloating a little early. The target is 54.5 for 2025. So if Corvette is only getting 30 mpg (15 below), then they have to offset it with an equal amount of cars getting 70 mpg (15 over) or three times as many cars getting 60 mpg (5 over). Not a big deal for lower volume sellers like the corvette, but when you start adding in 50,000 V8 Camaro's it starts getting a bit tougher. Then you add in high profit full size cars like Impala, and all of a sudden you need to sell 150,000 Volts per year to meet your CAFE average. We are only talking 12 years away - that is at the most three product cycles, and most likely only two. And consumers haven't seemed all that willing to spend the money on those cars when they can get decent mileage for a lot less money.

Something is going to have to give by 2025, I just hope it isn't the V8. CAFE sucks but it appears we are stuck with it.

-Geoff
Old 07-10-2013, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
I think you are gloating a little early. The target is 54.5 for 2025. So if Corvette is only getting 30 mpg (15 below), then they have to offset it with an equal amount of cars getting 70 mpg (15 over) or three times as many cars getting 60 mpg (5 over). Not a big deal for lower volume sellers like the corvette, but when you start adding in 50,000 V8 Camaro's it starts getting a bit tougher. Then you add in high profit full size cars like Impala, and all of a sudden you need to sell 150,000 Volts per year to meet your CAFE average. We are only talking 12 years away - that is at the most three product cycles, and most likely only two. And consumers haven't seemed all that willing to spend the money on those cars when they can get decent mileage for a lot less money.

Something is going to have to give by 2025, I just hope it isn't the V8. CAFE sucks but it appears we are stuck with it.

-Geoff
If something ever kills off the V8 it will be advanced technology that makes them too powerful. First V8's were pushed out of the 200-300HP segment, Now they are almost out of the 300-400hp segment. Once the V8 becomes a 500HP+ only engine it's days as a mainstream engine are over.

54mpg CAFE is because of all the plug-in cars that get ~100MPGe. By 2025 we will see a lot more hybrids and EVs. We will be on the 3rd generation of Volt and 5th or 6th Prius. That technology will be much better and cheaper than what we have today. Plus it is practically guaranteed that gasoline will cost more in the future. Add all those factors together and 54.5MPG CAFE will be a slam dunk.

Tesla already has a CAFE rating of 111.6 = http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....bject=fuelList

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ations-feature

%u201CCAFE mpg still comes from the original pair of tests that are now widely viewed as bad predictors of real-world mpg. The 34.1 mpg CAFE target for 2016 is actually equal to only 26 mpg on a window sticker. The talked-about 2025 CAFE standard %u2014 usually described as 54.5 mpg %u2014 amounts to a figure of 36 mpg combined [highway and city driving] on a window sticker,%u201D

Last edited by Z28x; 07-10-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:21 AM

If something ever kills off the V8 it will be advanced technology that makes them too powerful. First V8's were pushed out of the 200-300HP segment, Now they are almost out of the 300-400hp segment. Once the V8 becomes a 500HP+ only engine it's days as a mainstream engine are over.

54mpg CAFE is because of all the plug-in cars that get ~100MPGe. By 2025 we will see a lot more hybrids and EVs. We will be on the 3rd generation of Volt and 5th or 6th Prius. That technology will be much better and cheaper than what we have today. Plus it is practically guaranteed that gasoline will cost more in the future. Add all those factors together and 54.5MPG CAFE will be a slam dunk.
Not only that, but I4's & V6's are now taking the range V8's used to take. Heck, I just got a ATS with a 4 banger turbo. If someone told me ten years ago I'd own a 4 cylinder, I'd tell them they are on crack. They used to be unbearably slow, no power, struggled getting off the line at intersections, and couldn't accelerate on freeways. But now these engines are outputting nearly as much as the V8's of yesteryear but with much better fuel.

The V8's aren't going to disappear anytime soon, but they will soon start competing with smaller engines in performance sector.. For example, the 6th gen Camaro, there's a possibility that the 420hp TT V6 will be an engine option for it. When compared to the 455hp LT1 V8, people might end up choosing the V6. This would lower V8 sales, but the V8 wouldn't disappear entirely.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:21 PM

I agree that the cars will be there. But the cars are there now, and people aren't buying those cars now. What is going to make them buy them in 10 years? It is always going to be more expensive to do a car with a giant battery pack. I think CAFE is a Field of Dreams - if you build it they will come - but they are building it right now and nobody is coming. I just don't see that changing.

-Geoff
Old 07-12-2013, 12:11 PM

I agree that the cars will be there. But the cars are there now, and people aren't buying those cars now. What is going to make them buy them in 10 years? It is always going to be more expensive to do a car with a giant battery pack. I think CAFE is a Field of Dreams - if you build it they will come - but they are building it right now and nobody is coming. I just don't see that changing.

-Geoff
Demand is growing, hybrid and EV sales keep increasing year after year.

We still have not seen technology like start/stop or HCCI, and 8,9,& 10 speed automatics will be the norm soon.

Go to fueleconomy.gov and compare any new model today to it's 12 year ago counter part. We have come a long way. Some models like the Corvette may have only gained a few MPG, but that is damn impressive when you consider that the C7 has over 100HP more than the C5 and a lot more heavier performance parts on it.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:04 PM

Is it only the first year of the C7 that will be available as a stingray or will 2015 cars be available as sting rays too?
Old 07-13-2013, 02:17 PM

I hear what you guys are saying, but on that chart, a VW Diesel manual doesn't even meet CAFE for 2025. Are the automakers going to stop offering small cars without battery packs? Is that the endgame here?

And seriously, how is a fullsize pickup going to hit 33 mpg? GM has a hybrid now and it doesn't get close to that.

-Geoff
Old 07-16-2013, 09:28 AM

I hear what you guys are saying, but on that chart, a VW Diesel manual doesn't even meet CAFE for 2025. Are the automakers going to stop offering small cars without battery packs? Is that the endgame here?

And seriously, how is a fullsize pickup going to hit 33 mpg? GM has a hybrid now and it doesn't get close to that.

-Geoff
It is an average. Not every car needs to hit the target, they just need to average out to it. Come 2025 if not enough EVs are sold to meet those averages they will probably just push the date back to 2030 or something.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:56 PM

It is an average. Not every car needs to hit the target, they just need to average out to it. Come 2025 if not enough EVs are sold to meet those averages they will probably just push the date back to 2030 or something.
That's exactly my point though - You have to have some above average to balance out the Corvette. If consumers don't buy them, then what happens to the Corvette and Camaro (and Mustang and Challenger). I can't imagine the EPA and congress just blowing this off. They have always put it on the big 3, never on the consumer.

I just think this is a trainwreck waiting to happen. It is like the automakers finally called the CAFE bluff by agreeing to something that requires the consumers to start buying in. Hasn't happened yet, so we will see if 10 years makes a difference. I think we should have the answer even sooner - like 2020 which isn't that far off.

-Geoff
Old 07-19-2013, 09:56 AM

That's exactly my point though - You have to have some above average to balance out the Corvette. If consumers don't buy them, then what happens to the Corvette and Camaro (and Mustang and Challenger). I can't imagine the EPA and congress just blowing this off. They have always put it on the big 3, never on the consumer.

I just think this is a trainwreck waiting to happen. It is like the automakers finally called the CAFE bluff by agreeing to something that requires the consumers to start buying in. Hasn't happened yet, so we will see if 10 years makes a difference. I think we should have the answer even sooner - like 2020 which isn't that far off.

-Geoff
Corvette is sold in such low volumes that it doesn't really matter. The Camaro is a little different. The next 2 generations will be lighter and have turbo 4 cyl. engines are their base engine. The 7th Gen (2023?) might even have some kind of plug-in version which would be awesome since electric motors have a lot of torque.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:16 PM

Just for comparison, my C6 Z06 gets 19-21 avg (with the skip shift disabled) and ~26 on the interstate. I think the weight and shape of these cars makes a lot of difference. My 4 banger 146 hp Honda CR-V gets 26-28 highway only and maybe 24 in mixed city/highway driving (regular gasoline).

Last edited by Kevin Blown 95 TA; 07-26-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 Corvette Stingray EPA rating