Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2013 Malibu front end picture leaked

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Re: 2013 Malibu front end picture leaked

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I see a C6 roadster.
Weird. I double-checked that the image would hotlink successfully before posting. I just triple-checked, still works.

Anyway, here's the page it came from:
http://www.netcarshow.com/chevrolet/2008-malibu_lt/
Old 04-14-2011, 04:40 PM

It wasn't just a picture of a C6, it was a standard picture from them that said "image hotlinked, please use embedded code." But now that I have seen the Malibu pics it is fine... or did a Mod adjust it?
Old 04-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Admin Emeritus

When it is hot linked, the host web site knows the referrer isn't a visitor of the site but is being pulled in by another site and displays the alternate image.

When you see it as a visitor of the host site, it knows and serves the right one to you and your browser caches it.

Sorta like that.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:28 PM

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! The wife and I will need a babymobile about a year after this comes out... Love it.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by VladimirSteel
Its chevrolet! maybe its been because I have only been alive since the 90s and the bar and bowtie has always been what chevrolet has been for me.

the new crossbars look GREAT! even on the last generation malibu I loved it.

Why do people think this? BMW has used the "dual kidney grills" since at least the 70's. Is it played out? To establish a design element that will become part of your brand you have to start somewhere. I like that they are sticking to it! Its only been getting better and better imo!
The bar being associated with the Chevrolet symbol is fine. It's the execution of the design itself that is poor. If you look at the front of any BMW there's an extremely strong family tie from one car to the other. Look at a Chevrolet malibu from 10 years ago and the one today and these cars could be from completely different brands according to the grille. Cadillac has a great grille design and is instantly recognizable as a Cadillac and nothing else. Other strong grill's are the Mercedes shield, Chevrolet truck grille and Audi.
The bar theme with the 2012 and 2013 Malibu is weak because the bar itself has no theme or design that makes it pop. It just looks like someone slapped a piece of flat plastic across the top of a grille.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:56 PM

Oh hey, its a Buick Regal. Keep up the badge engineering G.M.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by TrackMagicWS6
Badge engineered just like your WS6, right?

Also, no shared bodywork + completely different interiors != badge engineering.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:47 PM

These comments kill me .The Accord/TSX , Fusion/MKZ , Camry/ES300, Sonata/Optima are all the same chassis , and I could list countless more . Yet GM recieves the absolute harshest criticizm( its way worse on other sites :lol ) for doing the same thing with the Regal and Malibu.

I think they did a terrific job on this car, for a mid size people mover. It is sooo much better than I thought it would be.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal
It will be 4cyl only. NA 2.5L and new 2.0 Turbo 4.
2.5? Not 2.4? Is the 2.5 still going to be an ecotec?

No mention of eAssist? Will that not be on option? Considering the crazy good numbers projected for the larger/heavier LaCrosse with the 2.4, I'd have to assume this will do even better.

Also, I sure hope the turbo 2.0 is a much better engine in terms of fuel economy and power than what they've got in the current Regal. GM needs a head-turning powertrain like Ford's ecoboost 4-cyl... not a turbo 4 that's surprisingly low on power and low on economy like they put in the "new" Regal.

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Weird. I double-checked that the image would hotlink successfully before posting. I just triple-checked, still works.

Anyway, here's the page it came from:
http://www.netcarshow.com/chevrolet/2008-malibu_lt/
I never imagined you would be so non geek savvy. Once you've loaded the image in your browser, it's cached. If you want to see if it works for other people, clear your cache or load the forum URL in a different browser on your PC.

I don't really see the resemblance. Sure they'll be on the same platform but technically so is LaCrosse, and IMO (from testing both) Regal and LaCrosse don't seem related at all, inside, outside or in driving experience.

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
Accord/TSX are the same chassis
Not really unless you're talking about the Accord sold in Europe and Japan.

You're probably thinking the TL.

But I agree with you that 'badge engineering' isn't what it used to be. GM and many other brands have put out some truly pathetic badge engineered products over the last couple decades, but they all seem to be doing a pretty good job of differentiating their products these days. Looking at the photos I think the Malibu and Regal should be differentiated enough based on what I've seen so far.

I do have to say the one thing GM has screwed up worse in recent years than the other examples you mentioned is true product tiering. You could (especially when Saturn and Pontiac were still here) often buy a vehicle that other than aesthetics/styling was for all practical purposes, the exact same car by a different brand/name. Sure in theory Buick was more luxury, Pontiac was sportier, Saturn was more uh... I don't even know... and Chevy was more 'mainstream', as if that's a good differentiator in an already crowded room of badge engineering. So yeah, they're not exactly blameless here, although at least they've cleaned up by apparently only having two potentially very similar vehicles this time around. And even that we haven't confirmed yet since we haven't seen the Malibu.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:14 AM

With or without the bar, it just doesn't work for me. There's quite a few elements on the front. It looks busy and almost like they tried too hard.

But it seems like a lot of today's cars are doing the same thing... why so complicated and busy looking?

Last edited by T/A-Bob; 04-15-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:24 AM

There is a reason G.M. but the bar in the middle of the grill. If you want to photoshop that bar out, you might aswell put a Tri-Shield badge there.

And yes, Badge engineered like my WS6. VW is the best at not badge engineering.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Optima/Sonata don't even use the same windshield.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
2.5? Not 2.4? Is the 2.5 still going to be an ecotec?

No mention of eAssist? Will that not be on option? Considering the crazy good numbers projected for the larger/heavier LaCrosse with the 2.4, I'd have to assume this will do even better.

Also, I sure hope the turbo 2.0 is a much better engine in terms of fuel economy and power than what they've got in the current Regal. GM needs a head-turning powertrain like Ford's ecoboost 4-cyl... not a turbo 4 that's surprisingly low on power and low on economy like they put in
Check out the gearing in the Buick vs. The Malibu. Final drive ratio is more conservative on the Malibu.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:08 AM

There is a reason G.M. but the bar in the middle of the grill. If you want to photoshop that bar out, you might aswell put a Tri-Shield badge there.

And yes, Badge engineered like my WS6. VW is the best at not badge engineering.

You are right. Two four doors on a common platform that share a similar overall shape, but with not a single shared body panel as far as I can tell (dunno about glass, but the greenhouses are obviously different), and with completely different interiors, clearly qualify as badge engineering.

I also wouldn't call your WS6 badge engineered, and they were more obviously related than these two.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:37 AM

Dude, you are seriously wrong there. Check your facts and figures before trying to come off half cocked. The Malibu and the Regal have as much in common as the Camaro and the G8 or the G8 and the upcoming Caprice. They're on the same platform but are on different chassis.

If they *were* just badge engineered cars - wouldn't they be built on the same line?
(Malibu = Kansas City & Lake Orion plants)
(Regal = Oshawa plant)

They don't even have the same wheelbase!

The new Malibu rides on LWB EpII while Regal rides on SWB EpII.

The two ride on the same chassis but they do not have the same windshield. But that makes them better than apparently the Regal and Malibu that don't share any body panels or glass?

Nissan's FM platform was the origin of nearly half of Nissan and Infiniti's lineup - do you think that is badge engineering as well?
Old 04-15-2011, 10:20 AM

VW is the best at not badge engineering.
Nah, they just like to do it PRICEY.

Quick Reply: 2013 Malibu front end picture leaked