Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2011 Ford EcoBoost F-150 puts out 365 horsepower, 420 lb-ft of torque

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:25 AM

2011 Ford EcoBoost F-150 puts out 365 horsepower, 420 lb-ft of torque

Link:
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/21/2...of-t/#comments

It looks like they with diesel type numbers instead of the high hp route.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:05 AM

This is going to be a nice engine in that truck.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:16 AM

Good job ford. But are the best in class towing and payload ratings they list for other V6 engines, or for full size trucks in general I wonder?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Indelibility
Good job ford. But are the best in class towing and payload ratings they list for other V6 engines, or for full size trucks in general I wonder?
Full size half tons in general.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:42 PM

Nicely done. You know those tourqe numbers will be flat as a pool table and great for hauling.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:46 PM

90% of torque available from 1700rpm to over 5000rpm............... and all on regular.

That is the sell, with this engine. Diesel like performance and economy, without the diesel initial premium and maintenance costs.

Imagine what it can do on premium.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:09 PM

Does anyone know how the pricing is going to be between the different engines?
Old 09-21-2010, 03:02 PM

With the 3.7 V6 being the base, the additional premiums for the other engines are as follows:

5.0 $1000
3.5 EB $ $1750
6.2 $2995
Old 09-21-2010, 03:27 PM

I guess that Ford is also certifying the engine on premium. Those numbers should be interesting.

The pricing should help with some of the fears on the cost of this engine. A $750 upgrade, over the 5.0 is pretty reasonable.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Derek M
With the 3.7 V6 being the base, the additional premiums for the other engines are as follows:

5.0 $1000
3.5 EB $ $1750
6.2 $2995
Do you have a source for that? Ford's own web page says that the Ecoboost is the premium engine, which I would figure means premium price. That should be a pretty awesome setup, though.

I am still skeptical about towing with a boosted motor. If that thing is in boost while towing, it will get way worse mileage than a V8. With that being said, it would be a pretty awesome daily driver that gets limited truck type usage and towing (which is how most people including me uses their pickup).

-Geoff
Old 09-22-2010, 10:39 AM

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/09...e-pricing.html

Ford released this information yesterday coinciding with the debut at the Texas State Fair this Friday. PUTC and some of it's forum members meet with Ford at an exclusive preview, meet, and dinner last night.

Not sure the skepticism is warranted towing with a forced induction engine. Turbo diesels have a good reliability in this exact state of use.

The EB power curve is similar to a turbo diesel, lots of torque down low, falling off in the upper RPM range.

The volumetric efficiency (VE) is better on a forced induction application, therefore things point to it actually being more fuel efficient than an equivalent V8.

Simplistically Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC) states if if there's a requirement to support X amount of HP, X amount of fuel will be needed. Increasing VE with forced induction will only go to enable more efficient use, less fuel. That doesn't go without saying, that if the FI application is now 500HP and the owner is using that power level fuel use will be more when compared to the 365HP like application, all other things equal.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Derek M
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/09...e-pricing.html

Ford released this information yesterday coinciding with the debut at the Texas State Fair this Friday. PUTC and some of it's forum members meet with Ford at an exclusive preview, meet, and dinner last night.

Not sure the skepticism is warranted towing with a forced induction engine. Turbo diesels have a good reliability in this exact state of use.

The EB power curve is similar to a turbo diesel, lots of torque down low, falling off in the upper RPM range.

The volumetric efficiency (VE) is better on a forced induction application, therefore things point to it actually being more fuel efficient than an equivalent V8.

Simplistically Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC) states if if there's a requirement to support X amount of HP, X amount of fuel will be needed. Increasing VE with forced induction will only go to enable more efficient use, less fuel. That doesn't go without saying, that if the FI application is now 500HP and the owner is using that power level fuel use will be more when compared to the 365HP like application, all other things equal.
Intersting on the pricing, although even in the link there seems to be some confusion about exactly what the delta's are from. Regardless of what the delta is from, though, the ecoboost looks like a hell of a deal.

As far as economy, I have done a bit of tuning in my day, and every car I have ever seen, including OEM, runs boosted cars richer when they are under boost - I am assuming to help cool the charge. I looked at the stock tune on a 2004 GTP, and they actually added fuel as a function of time - like enriching it 0.1 per second when under boost. So with a factory tune, that car was running in the mid 10:1 range in the 1/4 mile. I don't know how much oil squirters will help with that on the Ford, but I can't imagine they don't run richer under boost.

I am not saying it isn't going to be reliable, but it might not be the best choice for frequent towing.

-Geoff
Old 09-22-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
Intersting on the pricing, although even in the link there seems to be some confusion about exactly what the delta's are from. Regardless of what the delta is from, though, the ecoboost looks like a hell of a deal.

As far as economy, I have done a bit of tuning in my day, and every car I have ever seen, including OEM, runs boosted cars richer when they are under boost - I am assuming to help cool the charge. I looked at the stock tune on a 2004 GTP, and they actually added fuel as a function of time - like enriching it 0.1 per second when under boost. So with a factory tune, that car was running in the mid 10:1 range in the 1/4 mile. I don't know how much oil squirters will help with that on the Ford, but I can't imagine they don't run richer under boost.

I am not saying it isn't going to be reliable, but it might not be the best choice for frequent towing.

-Geoff
Have you tuned a direct injected turbo engine? DI makes a substantial difference.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:56 AM

Ford is really trying to go out of their way to prove the durability of the ecoboost v6:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/09...s-durable.html

Last edited by Sax1031; 09-23-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
On the contrary, if designed for it, it might be the best choice for frequent towing. If the turbo DI V6 is on the boost all the time, but does not need enrichment, it would probably get better mileage than the V8, due to better VE.

On the diesel front, everything has been turbo for over a decade.

Quick Reply: 2011 Ford EcoBoost F-150 puts out 365 horsepower, 420 lb-ft of torque