Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2009 new specs released for Colorado....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:49 PM

2009 new specs released for Colorado....

http://media.gm.com/us/chevrolet/en/...o/09index.html

New for 2009
5.3L V-8 available on extended and crew cab models
Improved brake system
StabiliTrak electronic stability control system is standard on all models
Fuel system control module for improved fuel economy – up to 25 mpg on the highway with the 2.9L engine
New ZQ8 sport suspension
Z71: higher stance, larger wheel/tire combination for improved appearance and off-road maneuverability
Sixteen-inch steel wheels replace 15-inch steel wheels on Work Truck models
New family of 16-inch, 17-inch and 18-inch wheels for LT models
Standard bedliner with Fleet Delete package
Exterior trim revisions
Two new exterior colors: Deep Navy and Aqua Blue Metallic
XM Satellite Radio standard on LT
Carpet and cloth seats now standard on WT
1VL Value Package on extended and crew cabs

2009 CHEVROLET COLORADO LINEUP ADDS V-8 POWER AND NEW BRAKE SYSTEM
Chevy’s midsize Colorado pickup enters 2009 with a host of performance enhancements, including a new, 5.3L V-8 engine option and new brake system. These features, along with the return of the ZQ8 sport suspension and a new family of stylish wheels, increase the Colorado’s capability and refreshes its stylish appearance.

“2009 is a milestone year for Colorado, with a powertrain customers have asked us for and new features that bolster its position as one of the segment’s most comfortable and customer-focused trucks,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager.

Colorado ’s new 5.3L V-8 is available on extended cab and crew cab models. It pumps out 300 horsepower (224 kW), nearly 25-percent more than the Colorado’s available 3.7L I-5 engine. It also delivers 320 lb.-ft. of torque (434 Nm) of robust torque for an exceptional maximum towing capacity of 6,000 pounds (2,721 kg). Effortless highway driving also is an attribute of the new V-8, enabling 0-60 mph performance of less than seven seconds.

Improved fuel economy

A revised fuel control module helps most 2009 Colorado models equipped with the 2.9L and 3.7L engines achieve better fuel economy than previous models. The greatest mileage improvement comes in 4WD models equipped with the 2.9L engine and manual transmission, where the estimated highway rating increases to 25 mpg – an increase of nearly 14 percent over the ’08 rating.

New for 2009

In addition to the new 5.3L V-8 and improved fuel economy for models with the 2.9L and 3.7L engines, the ’09 Colorado lineup includes a host of new features and revisions, including:

New brake system – All Colorado models receive a new brake system that delivers greater stopping power and an improved brake pedal feel. The system features four-channel ABS with yaw control for flatter, more controlled stopping during panic stops and improved control on slippery surfaces
StabiliTrak electronic stability control system is standard on all models
New family of wheels:
WT models receive 16-inch steel wheels in place of the previous 15-inch wheels
New 16-inch aluminum wheel is standard with Z85 suspension
New 16-inch chrome-clad wheel optional with Z85 suspension
New 17-inch wheel is standard with the Z71 suspension
New 18-inch wheel is standard with the ZQ8 suspension
Exterior revisions:
Previous Sport Appearance Package is now standard on all Z85-equipped models
Front fascia now features body color over dark gray accents
Z71 grille features body-color surround with chrome bar (replacing previous gray surround)
Small wheel flares are eliminated
Body-side molding eliminated from regular and extended cabs
Body-color side moldings on crew cab
Body-color outside mirrors and door/tailgate bezels, with chrome handles, on extended and crew cabs
Standard bedliner with Fleet Delete package
Solar Ray tinted glass is standard on LS and LT; available on WT
Two new exterior colors – Deep Navy and Aqua Blue Metallic
XM Satellite Radio is standard on all models
Cashmere interior carpet changed from Cashmere to Ebony
Interior carpet is standard on WT (vinyl floor cover is available)
Cloth seating is standard on WT (vinyl is available)
A new 1VL Value Package is offered in 2009. It is available on all extended and crew cab models and includes the 2.9L engine paired with either a manual transmission on the extended cab or an automatic transmission with the crew cab. Additional equipment includes power windows and locks.

New ZQ8 sport suspension package
Old 06-12-2008, 03:48 AM

Cool

I would create a package that starts with the regular cab, adds the 5.3 V8, the ZQ8 sports suspension with the 18s, & the sports appearence package.

The standard cab is nearly 200 pounds lighter in I4 and I5 models, so I'd expect the V8 regular cab to also be 200 pounds lighter, coming in just below 3700 pounds.

Admitedly, 300 horsepower and 320 lbs/ft of torque isn't going to turn a 3700 pound Colorado into a Corvette chaser, but it's worthwhile to note that the LT1 quick Chevrolet Impala SS has the same engine, same output, and the same 3700 pound weight (actually at 3712, the Impala would be around 40 or so pounds heavier).
Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 AM

GM is finally putting the 6 speed in the silverados... is the 5.3 not getting the 6 speed in the colorado?

That would be one hell of a commercial. The only midsize with a 6 speed, v8 with 85 more HP and BETTER fuel economy than the Tacoma, etc...
Old 06-12-2008, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
GM is finally putting the 6 speed in the silverados... is the 5.3 not getting the 6 speed in the colorado?

That would be one hell of a commercial. The only midsize with a 6 speed, v8 with 85 more HP and BETTER fuel economy than the Tacoma, etc...
Yeah well...
Old 06-12-2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by FiefSS
Yeah well...
...that would only make complete sense, right?
Old 06-12-2008, 12:18 PM

with the worst interior in it's class..

Last edited by cmg06s; 06-15-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by cmg06s
with the worst interior in it's class..
You're being kind. That's about the worst interior of any vehicle currently sold in the US.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:38 PM

As much as I hate to agree (since I own an 04 Z71), the interior almost kept me from buying it. It really needs help!
Old 06-12-2008, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by TA76
As much as I hate to agree (since I own an 04 Z71), the interior almost kept me from buying it. It really needs help!
I thought the interior was ok for a 2004, but unfortunately the rest of the world has moved on and now it is no doubt GMs most dated looking interior. Other than the XLR isn't it GMs oldest vehicle too?
Old 06-12-2008, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dest98
You're being kind. That's about the worst interior of any vehicle currently sold in the US.
Close....but I'd have to go with the Ford Crown Vic, which still has the same basic interior from 1997
Old 06-12-2008, 05:14 PM

midsized?

I agree on the 6 speed auto thing. Win-win situation
Old 06-12-2008, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by TA76
Originally Posted by Dest98
Originally Posted by Z28x
I thought the interior was ok for a 2004, but unfortunately the rest of the world has moved on and now it is no doubt GMs most dated looking interior. Other than the XLR isn't it GMs oldest vehicle too?
The interior most definitely needs a refresh (I'm a Colorado owner). But there really aren't many nice interiors in the compact pickup class.

The Tacoma's is a bit better in terms of appearance and probably panel fit, but it still feels very, very cheap when you are actually in it (it doesn't look as cheap though). I thought the Nissan Frontier interior was absolutely HORRIBLE.

As for the rest of the Colorado, I've seen several running around the proving grounds with the new wheel/tire combos (not the 18s), and they look pretty damn nice.

Maybe I'll get some cheap take-offs someday (but I doubt it, as I have no desire to dump money into "modding" my DD pickup when there are bikes and fun cars to get).
Old 06-12-2008, 09:29 PM

I own a '04 Colorado myself. Im probably one of the few that feels this way but I wish they'd offer a manual transmission with the 5 cylinder. I settled for the 4 cylinder simply because I wanted the manual for reliability's sake. I've gotten 26mpg on the freeway with the A/C on so I dont see how they can claim an improvement. My truck was rated at 27 on the highway under the old EPA standards, which I guess would be 25mpg now.
My girfriends dad owns either an '03 or '04 Nissan frontier which I have to say has a worse interior than my colorado. I work on BMW's for a living and the plastics dont bother me considering the price I paid. My only complaint is I wish the paint wouldnt peel so easily on the radio ***** and the radio/A/C surround panel,

Last edited by meengreen 94z; 06-12-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by 305fan
midsized?
I fail to see the humor? The Colorado is classified as a mid-sized pick-up
Old 06-13-2008, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by meengreen 94z
I own a '04 Colorado myself. Im probably one of the few that feels this way but I wish they'd offer a manual transmission with the 5 cylinder. I settled for the 4 cylinder simply because I wanted the manual for reliability's sake. I've gotten 26mpg on the freeway with the A/C on so I dont see how they can claim an improvement. My truck was rated at 27 on the highway under the old EPA standards, which I guess would be 25mpg now.
My girfriends dad owns either an '03 or '04 Nissan frontier which I have to say has a worse interior than my colorado. I work on BMW's for a living and the plastics dont bother me considering the price I paid. My only complaint is I wish the paint wouldnt peel so easily on the radio ***** and the radio/A/C surround panel,
See sig.

You could get an I5 / manual combo in regular and extended cabs in the '04 - '06 model years. When the engines were upsized to 3.7 / 2.9 from 3.5 / 2.8, the I5 / M5 combo was dropped (which sucks, especially since the H3 still got it).

I was really hoping to find a ZQ8 extended cab with the M5, but every one I came across was an auto. Then I came across this nearly new '05 Z71 5 cylinder / 5 speed, and I got a pretty good deal on it.

I'm averaging 20.5 mpg in overall driving, maybe a 50/50 mix (could be 60/40 town/hwy). Still wish I had the lower, more carlike stance and handling of the ZQ8 though. Even though it's a 2wd, the Z71 package gives it the same high ride stance and torsion bar front suspension as the 4x4 Z71. Non-Z71 2wd trucks use a coil spring front suspension, and the ZQ8s can really handle.

Quick Reply: 2009 new specs released for Colorado....