Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Track Event at Barber Motorsport Park

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 07:24 PM

Track Event at Barber Motorsport Park

I just got through with a DE weekend at Barber Motorsports Park. That facility is awesome. It's truly world class in all respects. Anyhow, I pretty much got the luck of the draw on instructors. I managed to get Clint from the Hyper Sport racing team. He was a really awesome guy and taught well. I also made 4 30 minute sessions in his Lotus Elise. That little under powered car can handle. He was killing people in corners and they would walk passed him in straights. We had some track times in the high 1.40's to 1.55 in that car with a full tank and me in it as well.

This was the first time that I had my recently aquired TA on a track. The middle of the first session the power steering went out. After finishing the session with a manual rack, I asked them if I could tech in my GTO. Well the GTO is quite well suited for this track. It handled really good and was well balanced out there. However the carnage didn't stop there. I had a brake pad wear out with about 2 laps to go in the session. It completely went metal on metal. I was done for the day.

After bleeding the brakes and changing out the power steering pump, I returned today in the TA. I had two complete session of crazy fun as I got into a really awesome routine around the track. The best parts of the track is the corkscrew, the kink, and the tunnel turn. I was killing the BMWs and Porches in the kink, as they were braking before it. I just lifted and turned..

If any of you get a chance to hit that track, you must take it. Well worth event, even with the breakage this weekend.

Last edited by EastLa; 11-20-2005 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:29 PM

Re: Track Event at Barber Motorsport Park

Sounds like you had fun even with the carnage. I want to try Barber Motorsports sometine but it is quite a haul for me coming from Orlando. I ran Sebring on Saturday and had a blast as well and thankfully without any breakage.

The power steering problem you experienced is quite common and is caused from boiling the power steering fluid. You need to add a power steering cooler and/or upgrade the power steering pump to a Turn One unit. I did both and haven't had any problems since.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:53 PM

Re: Track Event at Barber Motorsport Park

Originally Posted by Jeff94TA
Sounds like you had fun even with the carnage. I want to try Barber Motorsports sometine but it is quite a haul for me coming from Orlando. I ran Sebring on Saturday and had a blast as well and thankfully without any breakage.

The power steering problem you experienced is quite common and is caused from boiling the power steering fluid. You need to add a power steering cooler and/or upgrade the power steering pump to a Turn One unit. I did both and haven't had any problems since.
I talked to a guy with another TA at the event. He has both as well, and I will probably do that.