Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Suspension Advice needed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 01:33 PM

Suspension Advice needed...

Cliffnotes: Tell me how to make an LS1 fbody beat my C5 in the twisties.

This is currently hypothetical, but depending how things end up looking, it could be reality...not sure why that matters...ah whatever anyway on to the question:

Let's say I was used to Z06-spec handling but was downgrading to a 98+ Z28...what could I do suspension-wise to bring the handling up to where I like it? Or for that matter better? For now, assume no monetary constraints...The best cornering performance possible without making the ride unbearable, stable in a straight line, but with emphasis on turn-in and overall front grip, oversteer is fun as long as you don't have to work too hard to get it. Ride height and damping adjustability would be highly desired, but not mandatory I suppose...

I'll admit the concept of suspension tuning with a solid rear axle is foreign to me, in fact it's a major con to getting into an F-body at all, but I love the LS1 too much. Can the solid axle be made to handle as nicely as an independant setup?

Brakes too...fbody brakes lick from what I hear, I've heard of C5 brake upgrades, but I've cooked those on a 300lb-lighter C5, so what other options would I have without blowing $5k on big brakes? is it easy to set up cooling ducts on the fbodies?

Oh one more thing: can you still adjust toe/camber with a solid axle? does this matter? how's this bloody drag-race rear suspension work when you want to actually turn?
Old 09-15-2004, 10:33 AM

Re: Suspension Advice needed...

This whole section is about this subject. Do a little reading. There must be a thousand different idea's on how to do this. In any case if I were going to build a street car for occasional track or solo use, this is what I would do!
1) Tires, tires, tires. This is the single biggest improvement you can make. I would stuff the largest, softest, 17 or 18 inch wheel and tire combo. I could into the wheel wells.
2) Stiffen the chassis. Subframe connectors, shock tower brace and four point roll bar(minimum).
3) Lowering and the rest of the suspension. I prefer to lower the car using spindles, but I don't think they're available. So that means springs and shocks. Rates and brands depend on your tolerance for harshness. For the street I don't think I would go with coilovers, but many are happy with them. I'd go to adjustable trailing arms, panhard rod, and beefier torque arm. Larger anti-roll bars and LE or poly bushing for every thing including the engine and trans. mounts.
4) Brakes. Looks like the least expensive is the Z06 upgrade. There are lots of kits, so i don't think you need to spend $5,000. I've seen Baer and Brembo's for less.
And that's about it. I know there are lots of other things that can be done and I am sure other will chime in. But this will get you into Z06 territory without the loss of to much ride quality.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:15 PM

Re: Suspension Advice needed...

The prior owner of my 93 LT1 tried to do that. After ten years and 32,000 miles he gave up and bought himself a Z06.

His loss my gain.