Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Sportine + roadcourse?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 08:50 AM

Sportine + roadcourse?

I have the ProKit on my camaro and I love it so far. But at mid-ohio it seemed there was a rediculous amount of body roll. I know sway bars and shocks play in but in general how important is it to go to the sportlines, or are there known problems having such little suspension travel at speed? This should probably be in suspension also huh? (sorry)
Thanks
Pat
OK I'm done-

Last edited by SSTAT; 04-13-2004 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:18 AM

If you are only looking at body roll, then (as you say) you can address it with the swaybars or the springs. Swaybars will reduce body roll without affecting the ride quality too much. Springs will affect the body roll but will also influence the ride quality when going in a straight line...

What are your spring rates for the springs that you have? Whay swaybars do you have?
Old 04-13-2004, 09:55 AM

All I know is the springs are eibach Prio Kit and the sway bars are the upgraded one(s) that come with the SS package, I dont know specifics. The lower springs do help though, its not just aerodynamics right? The lower the center of gravity the less weight transfer you get to the outer wheels/less lift on the inner wheels of a turn??
Pat
Old 04-13-2004, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by SSTAT
The lower the center of gravity the less weight transfer you get to the outer wheels/less lift on the inner wheels of a turn??
Pat
I'm pretty much certain that there will be only a negligible reduction in body roll with lowering springs if any at all. The real cause of weight transfer is centrifugal force, and since our cars weigh so much to begin with we got a LOT of that. Like others have said, if you want to reduce body roll get stiffer sway bars or stiffer springs.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:31 PM

Thanks everyone-
Pat
Old 04-13-2004, 08:32 PM

Lowering is more to lower the center of gravity of the car. Which (I suppose thinking about the geometry) could reduce some body roll, but not much.

It may be interesting to know your spring rates. The Eibachs should have a colored coating on them and there should be a series of numbers on that coating. This will contain the spring rate. I have to believe that the Sportlines are stiffer than the stock springs (then again, maybe not). The good news is that springs and swaybars are relatively cheap.