Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Some Good Tires??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 08:59 PM

Some Good Tires??

Does anyone have some ideas on good tires for a newbie? When Spring rolls back around, I would like to get into Autocross. I have an extra set of 16" wheels, and I'm looking into some tires. What are some good tires for a newbie? Any help is apprciated. Thanks, Tyler
Old 10-12-2004, 05:21 AM

Re: Some Good Tires??

Kumho V700 Victoracer
Old 10-12-2004, 01:50 PM

Go here: http://www.tirerack.com
look under competition tires.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:55 AM

Going on tirerack.com you will get a bunch of people's opinions about tires but they aren't always on par. I'm a novice at the www.boston-bmwcca.org autocross this year though I've gone to like 8 events now. I only know about street tires, and if your new at autocrossing you should def start in the street tire classes. It appears the most popular street tire by far over any other is the Falken Azenis, though I don't know if you can get them in a size that will fit a camaro wheel. Kumho Ecsta MX's seem to be what a lot of fbody cars use. I currently drive on Nitto 555 street tires which suck for autocrossing with a soft sidewall and dont have that good traction.

I'm wondering how the BFG gforce KD's would perform for autocrossing and if those are considered as a street tire. I've heard they stick better than the Nitto 555R drag radials which are considered R compound. If BFG KD's are considered street tires and stick better than 555R's then I think I'll buy the BFGs immediately, and start smoking everyone in my car class!
Old 10-14-2004, 10:44 AM

For your first year, I'd stick with street tires until you learn how not to overcook your car and tires. With r-compounds, those mistakes are going to be more co$tly. Kumho Ecsta MX's are relatively cheap, and you can drive to the events on them.

In season 2, look toward the Kumho V710.

Have fun!
Old 10-14-2004, 10:38 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I'll have to save some money for this spring!
Old 10-20-2004, 01:20 PM

Since you have seperate wheels, I'd go ahead and use Kumho V710's.

I don't completely buy into the idea of starting on street tires. That was all there was when I got started (shortly after cars were invented). Yes, there's alot to learn from driving fast on street tires but you can learn the same thing on race tires. Granted, race tires can cover up some of your mistakes (and I'm sure they still cover up some of mine) but you can't beat the fun you'll have on real sticky tires.

The 710's are the fastest DOT tire available for autocross right now.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:25 PM

Exactly.. Just about anybody can go on there and type an opinion.. They are more or less worthless.

Originally Posted by bryanz882
Going on tirerack.com you will get a bunch of people's opinions about tires but they aren't always on par.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:28 AM

It's not just about the opinions. They have a large tech. data base. I don't know of very many WEB sites where you can find tech. info. on a dozen different competition tire. They are also one of only a few places that will shave and/or heat cycle tire for you.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:05 AM

I would recommend the Vicoracers. They're inexpensive, they aren't quite as sticky as the 710's or the Hoosiers, but the last allot longer. I even driven 60 miles to an event and back on Vicoracers.

Since you don't need to worry about tires until spring, ask around the local autocrossers to see if anyone is selling a used set. Used tires that have 1/2 to 1/3 of there life left go for $20-25 a piece. I ran my first to years on used tires.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:12 AM

Don't believe the Victoracers last any longer than the 710's and if so, not very much longer.

I just checked prices on TireRack. A shaved and heat cycled Victoracer in a 275-17 size is $200. A 710, not heat cycled (they don't have to be shaved, add $15 to have them heat cycled.) is $191. Considering the fact a 710 will walk off and leave it, my money goes to the 710's.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:26 AM

The base cost is $150 for 245/45-16 Victoracer, $153 for 265/45-16 Victoracer and $170 for 265/45-16 V710. The V710 is not offered in 245/45-16. Heat cycling in $15 each and shaving in $15 each.

TSheaZ28,
As a beginner you don't need to have them shaved and you can heat cycle them your self by driving on the tires for half an hour at freeway speed, bringing them up to operating temperature and then take them them off and let them sit for a couple days before you compete on them.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by axoid
The base cost is $150 for 245/45-16 Victoracer, $153 for 265/45-16 Victoracer and $170 for 265/45-16 V710. The V710 is not offered in 245/45-16. Heat cycling in $15 each and shaving in $15 each.

TSheaZ28,
As a beginner you don't need to have them shaved and you can heat cycle them your self by driving on the tires for half an hour at freeway speed, bringing them up to operating temperature and then take them them off and let them sit for a couple days before you compete on them.

As long as your club has a good novice instruction program my vote is for the Victos too. The 710's are good too but a newbie can cook a set of race tires pretty quick. If you consistantly overdrive the tires by steering too much, stomping the gas and locking up the brakes, all that loss of traction will make short work of your beloved race tires. That's why it might be a good idea to start on a cheaper set of street tires, to learn how to drive within the limits of the tires. It's easier to move to race rubber after you learn the basics. If you have good instructors and are willing to listen to them, they will make your tires last longer.

My first set of Victos were corded after about 7 events. My current set has 13 events under their belts and maybe one or two more. Yeah they're hard as rocks (from heat cycling every month) but they still still soften up enough on the first run for me to win my class again last month.

If you want to learn the most - Street's
If you want to have fun and be fast - Victo's
If you want the best tire out right now - V710's
Old 10-25-2004, 09:29 PM

I think I'm gonna go with street tires for now. I don't want to spend a whole lot of cash on tires that I'll proably end up tearing apart after a few runs. I need to learn a lot, so I think street tires will be my best bet right now. Thanks again for all the replies. I just need to save some money now!
Old 11-11-2004, 01:01 PM

Toyo RA-1's. They'll last a LOT longer than the Kumhos, and are just as fast.

Quick Reply: Some Good Tires??