Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

SLP Level II kit (springs, shocks) Any good??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 09:51 PM

SLP Level II kit (springs, shocks) Any good??

The complete kit Level II Camaro SS, Firehawk ect. (4 springs and 4 shocks) brand new costs $340. Is this a good setup??? All I need is replacement for my 9 years old stocks and some improvement in handling. Right now I have:
-BMR LCA, STB, SFC, PHB and 1le sway bar....

I know that you can but parts from Sam Strano (koni+Bilstein) but those $$ are way out o my league...

Thanks for any help...
Old 04-06-2004, 12:40 PM

I did a sreach and I am pretty sure that this is what I want. I just need conformation from one of you guys
Sebastian
Old 04-06-2004, 01:07 PM

As I've stated in other posts, yes it is a very good upgrade for street, dragstrip, or even mild autox/roadcourse use. You will be very pleased with it over stock.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:10 PM

YEs I saw all your posts about it, and thats why I dediced to get one The performance is okay, and the price is just great!!
Thanks for answer!!
Sebastian
Old 04-06-2004, 01:26 PM

No problem. With the mods that you already have, I think you'll consider the performance more than just ok. About the only thing that I'd change from that setup would be to add Koni SA shocks for the front and swap the 32mm 1LE bar for one of Sam's new 35mm hollow front bars. My car is a stock Level II suspension but with Koni DAs up front, and it is amazing. I've only had it on track for 1.5 20 minutes sessions so far (had an off and broke a wheel), but I've already beat my 92 Vette's best time by over a second, and am within 4 seconds a lap of my 01 Z06's time. The car still has a little too much body roll in the corners, so I'm going to go with the 35mm bar. With that and more time in the car on track, I think I should be able to pull within 2 seconds of the Z06's time, which is amazing considering the Firehawk is down about 40RWHP, 400lbs heavier, and doesn't have quite as good of gearing. Of course without the Konis it would probably be a couple of seconds behind the 92 Vette, but that's still excellent performance.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:15 PM

Actually I had a deal with the member of this board. He was selling 4 Koni DA (from 1LE setup), and 32mm 1le sway bar. But at the end he backed up from the deal. The deal was very sweet 4 koni DA + Eibach pro kit + sway bar for $550 shipped. Anyway, I asked some people about Koni Da and most of them said that this is over kill for the guy like me (my car will not see an autocross track at all). I just want solid handling for the street without sacrificing the ride comfort.
The main reason for this choice is the $$. I don’t have it ...So for now I will stay with Level 2 and 1le sway bar. I will drive with this setup a bit and if I decide that I want more, I will upgrade front to Koni DA and add some 35mm sway bar.
Sebastian
ps. Thanks for help!!!!

Originally posted by LT4Firehawk
No problem. With the mods that you already have, I think you'll consider the performance more than just ok. About the only thing that I'd change from that setup would be to add Koni SA shocks for the front and swap the 32mm 1LE bar for one of Sam's new 35mm hollow front bars. My car is a stock Level II suspension but with Koni DAs up front, and it is amazing. I've only had it on track for 1.5 20 minutes sessions so far (had an off and broke a wheel), but I've already beat my 92 Vette's best time by over a second, and am within 4 seconds a lap of my 01 Z06's time. The car still has a little too much body roll in the corners, so I'm going to go with the 35mm bar. With that and more time in the car on track, I think I should be able to pull within 2 seconds of the Z06's time, which is amazing considering the Firehawk is down about 40RWHP, 400lbs heavier, and doesn't have quite as good of gearing. Of course without the Konis it would probably be a couple of seconds behind the 92 Vette, but that's still excellent performance.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:23 PM

The Koni DAs are overkill for anything except roadcourse use. Even the top autoxers leave the compression set to minimum for autox use, and just adjust the rebound. For a good compromise of handling and decent ride on the street most people would probalby leave the Konis set full soft on compression and almost full soft on rebound. So really, for street use the SLP Bilsteins or regular Bilstein HDs would be the way to go. Even for roadcourse use, I only went 1 click from full soft on compression (there are 4 or 5 clicks altogether for compression) if that tells you anything.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:10 PM

I'm switching out the Bilstein setup to the Koni DA for racing, but as mentioned, the SLP/Bilstein setup is a nice upgrade from stock for a not-so-bad price. It's strength is in spirited street driving, as it's a nice compromise between performance and ride compliance.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:36 PM

$340??? where are you seeing this at? i looked all over slps site and all i found was that same package but it cost 650 or something close to that.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:57 AM

I think he's buying individual parts. If you look under Firehawk/SS replacement parts, you can order the individual shocks, springs, etc.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:31 PM

i still dont see how you can save 300 dollars. are you sure their front shocks are 100 for a pair or individual?
Old 04-09-2004, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by 2Fast94TA
i still dont see how you can save 300 dollars. are you sure their front shocks are 100 for a pair or individual?
Shocks are $100 per pair, springs $69 per pair.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by Steve0
Shocks are $100 per pair, springs $69 per pair.
what about sways?
Old 04-11-2004, 10:18 PM

so are those parts used then or something? because i just dont see how they could be that cheap?
Old 04-12-2004, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by Tom R.
what about sways?
Good question, I'm not sure. Do a search on slp's webpage and I'm sure theyll come up.

Quick Reply: SLP Level II kit (springs, shocks) Any good??