Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Rear Brakes to Match.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 10:47 AM

Rear Brakes to Match.

I am looking into getting the z06 front brake upgrade. I wanted to know if there was a way to get the z06 rear calipers to match the fronts. Is this a bolt on procedure or are their brackets available to do this? What is involved... and is it even worth it?

p.s If its not possible or not worth it what color are the z06 calipers (code?) so i can try and match these up.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:48 AM

You don't need to upgrade the rear brakes. Just get your stock rears powdercoated to match the fronts. Or, buy one of the brush on brake caliper coating kits, they supposedly have a finish that is very similar.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:09 PM

aye aye captain
Old 04-06-2004, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by LT4Firehawk
You don't need to upgrade the rear brakes. Just get your stock rears powdercoated to match the fronts. Or, buy one of the brush on brake caliper coating kits, they supposedly have a finish that is very similar.

So where would you find a decent brush on kit? I have never liked the way that painted calipers look, they often look cheap and clearly not powdercoated....

And how would you recommend going about doing the rears....I know you'd probably have them off the car, but if you were going to have them powdecoated, would you dissassemble them, and rebuild them with new seals,etc? or just tape off the fittings and pistons?
Old 04-06-2004, 12:45 AM

doing a good couple coats of paint and possibly a clear coat over it, i think, would do the trick....

and if you did get them powdercoated....yeah, would have to disassemble, and probably might as well just buy new seals when re-assembling.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:29 AM

Some of the brush on brake paints work very well. I bought some paint from MidAmerica (Corvette catalog) and it is very thick. I have had mine on my front calipers for 2 years now, no peeling or cracking.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:56 PM

The trick to not getting brush strokes in the finish is to have the paint flow. You should get caliper paint, like that sold by Eastwood, www.eastwoodcompany.com It is “self-leveling”. After cleaning, I’d recommend pre-warming the caliper in an oven to maybe 120* F. I’d pre-warm the paint to about 100* - 110* (leave it in direct sunlight for a few hours, or a pot of hot water). This will ensure that the paint flows and the brush strokes level out and disappear.

With this technique, there is no need to disassemble the caliper. Just mask off the piston seal.

By the way, Eastwood has lowered the price of their caliper paint kit from $48 to $39.99.

They now offer aerosol caliper paint for $9/can and claim it is good for up to 900* F. I don't know how good it is, but it wouldn't leave brush strokes.

Last edited by lateapex; 04-06-2004 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:41 PM

Well, all I need to do is my rear calipers here, to try to match the front ZO6 units, I cant imagine they get as hot as the front calipers do, but I'm not positive.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by 5.0THIS
Well, all I need to do is my rear calipers here, to try to match the front ZO6 units, I cant imagine they get as hot as the front calipers do, but I'm not positive.
i agree with you about the heat difference. if you've ever gone for a quick run, preferably with some semi-heavy to heavy braking, stop the car, and the front wheels will be hotter to the touch than the rears.....which, by my thought process, is mainly because of the heat expelled by the brakes.