Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Performance driving lessons

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 03:52 PM

Performance driving lessons

I'm interested in getting started with autocross, but I'd like to learn a little bit of driving technique first. I can't afford anything like the Bondourant school or Chip Barber, but I know sometimes there are track days where instructors show up with clubs. I'd like to start a thread where anyone can submit suggestions for me and others who want to learn concerning local training schools, track days, or other training opportunities. I live in the Indianapolis area, but suggestions about opportunities anywhere would be appreciated as they might be helpful to someone else. So how about it? Anyone know where I can learn to ruin tires and still be able to afford to replace them when I'm done? Thanks in advance, everyone!
Old 10-30-2011, 09:43 AM

Re: Performance driving lessons

I just did the Phase 1 with these guys:
http://www.evoschool.com/
Phase on ran just shy of $300 but IMO worth every penny. Unlike Bondurant and such, you actually use your own car. (Comes in handy since that's normally the car you plan on racing)
I'm lucky that out local SCCA chapter also does driver training once a year, that runs about $100.
Check out your local SCCA http://www.indyscca.org/SoloPage.html
They can probably send you in the right direction.
Good Luck! It's a blast, but after you get hooked going straight down the 1/4 mile will seem kinda boring.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:33 PM

+1 on Evo school. I went 2-3 times in the past with the various levels; I think the price went up and the ownership changed a couple of years ago. But it was well worth it. If it's anything like the ones I went to, you can expect 20-30 segmented timed runs per day with various instructors as well as class time.

And once you're tired of 3-6 30-60s runs at an event and want more seat time, then hit up some HPDE's or something like NASA Time Trials
Old 01-19-2012, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone. Those are some great tips. I'll definitely look into those and hopefully I can get to one of them before the next event.

Any thoughts on the fact that I'd be racing the same car I drive every day? I know sometimes that can be risky but my impression is that autocross is a little more tame and might be ok. Anything I should be aware of or take precautions against?
Old 01-19-2012, 09:32 AM

If you want to be competitive, then review the rule book to determine what you can do without bumping yourself into a class where you won't be competitive.

I've seen strange things happen on autox courses and you should confirm with the host club if the site and/or club offer any type of insurance for that activity. Many insurance companies over the past few years have altered their policies to not cover timed events, you'd need to review your policy for coverage.

You will be rougher on the car, so you'll go through tires more quickly. Other items may warrant more frequent review/repair dependent upon their current quality. It's easier if you're comfortable learning/performing your own maintenance.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by jroc7
Thanks for the tips everyone. Those are some great tips. I'll definitely look into those and hopefully I can get to one of them before the next event.

Any thoughts on the fact that I'd be racing the same car I drive every day? I know sometimes that can be risky but my impression is that autocross is a little more tame and might be ok. Anything I should be aware of or take precautions against?
You will go through tires like you wouldn't believe...
My buddy daily drives his 2002 B4C and then takes it out one course with a set of NT05's and seems to do just fine.
My GTA has been a driver in the past, mostly it's just my weekend warrior, but I'm driving it to San Antiono, doing a pro touring event and then driving it home next month and it won't bother the car at all. Then The following month I'm taking it to El toro CA to do the same thing.
As far as being competitive, you will find some gens work better than others based on weight and design, but no matter what, the thing that will help you the most is seat time.. period.
If you've got a car with weld in SFCs you've pretty much hosed yourself to being in CP so just mod the crap out of it

Last edited by desert_fox_74; 01-19-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:37 PM

Thanks guys. Great advice. I don't plan on making a habit out of doing autocross events because I can't afford the extra work to the car and buy a lot of tires, but its something I'd like to have a go at, if even just once, like when I tried stunt flying a couple of years ago.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 PM

The best experience in the world will come from dirt tracks. If you have a field nearby where you won't get in any trouble other then the police coming by and telling you to leave. Some of us are lucky enough to have access to an area like this. The dirt will teach you to drive by the "seat of your pants", to know what it feels like just before the car starts to break traction and how to control the car thru the corners. Any cheap junk yard car will work and if you smash up a $400 dollar car who cares?
Next best thing is shifter karts. A 125cc shifter kart will go about 110 MPH and they are fairly cheap to buy and race on paved tracks. Shifter karts are great experience. Just about all the Indy car guys practice in the 250CC during the off season because they are great training.